Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

J6526 Cracking motorail rake...

BFK...then look at all those FKs , plus RBR

I'm guessing car flats on the back?

Phil

His notes say so but he didn't take a going away photo.   As I was in Essex at the time I wasn't there so I don't have a photo either.

David

• RMweb Premium

J6526 Cracking motorail rake...BFK...then look at all those FKs , plus RBRI'm guessing car flats on the back?Phil

Wasn't it something like a 1st class compartment per car?

Edited by keefer

• RMweb Gold

I don't know what they were for,but they were there in 1960...

attachicon.gifTenterden 1960.jpg

Something to do with market garden perhaps?

I am told they were for storage of relief supplies of both sugar and flour during the war if this has not been mentioned elsewhere, although these days they could have been made into clubrooms for a model railway club perhaps.

Kevin

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Lovely photos of the LT&SR today. Photos of the railway which few, if any, people took when the trains were going about their everyday work with no specials being run. And the countryside in the last two photo's is quite eery in the mistiness.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Clive, Couldn’t resist:http://southendnewsnetwork.com/news/dartford-tunnel-closed-due-to-thousands-of-kent-residents-trying-to-enter-essex-illegally/

Best, Pete.

(sorry, David. Will not happen again).

Truth is  often stranger than fiction! When I was (instrumental) teaching in Brentwood during the early 90s parents would pay to bus their children in from outlying places such as Havering because the schools were seen as better. One school had 18 coaches pulling in at the beginning and end of the day full of children and at least one of the schools was around 50% outside catchment . They solved it by closing one of the four Brentwood secondary schools so there were fewer places!

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photo's of the Talyllyn Railway which have really caught the essence of it back in 1969.

The photo's that follow are a great selection, and J2075 of D5672 at Burton Lane LC is a wonderful example of weathering which I may have a go on my Hornby class 31!

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Once more some really lovely photos of Pilmoor. Please keep them coming, for I love that 'racing section' of the ECML. I particularly like the first one in which I see the fifth coach is a Thompson SK.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Excellent again Dave, in the first picture there is a 25 I can't work out whether it's on the UP slow or the remains of the Sunbeck branch, thought I thought it was disconnected by 66

I've had a look at the scan as I wasn't sure, I am just about certain it is on the up slow.

David

Great to see local pics again Dave.

I also drove past St Mary's lighthouse and the Old Hartley embankment today. As you mentioned, the Collywell Bay branch track was removed at the beginning of WW1.

However, it was soon re-instated with temporary rails  to allow a rail mounted anti-ship cannon to be transported nearer to the coast. The temporary rails were removed at the end of WW1.

Despite the passage of time, Morpeth isn't too much different today.

Mal

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. The Collywell Bay branch is a fascinating story. I am sure it would make an interesting model.

Morpeth is another of those well known places on the ECML, and you did take some great photos of it back in 1985.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Some really interesting photo's of the Midland Main Line. I see the steam heating boiler of class 45 number 36 is working well in the final photo.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65