Hornby's Warley Announcements.

Multiple identity account

On the SR/BR EMU front surely following the 2 lavatory and 1 lavatory units we must, mathematically have a 2-NOL. Steam my guess is Adams Radial....probably and an S15 (hopefully) beyond that I cannot begin to guess.  Unless i'ts an SR/BR Q as I have just finished a Finecast kit!!!

Dave

Well, I welcome duplication, triplication, quadrilat ..........err ... competition.

Everyone knows they are all doing the original Merchant Navy.......

.....and the chances of any two doing exactly the same version are, of course, zillions to one  :jester:

One thing I would like to see, and I think modern modellers might agree, is correct loco hauled MK3 coaches. So the MK3a and MK3b, TSO, Buffet (cant remember there code of the top of my head) and the most important one the 3 BFOs. With these we could model correct Virgin west coast, Arriva WAG, Night Riviera, Chiltern, Anglia and with the correct tooling The Royal Train. If this were to happen a new sleeping coach tooling would have to made as well (SLE and SLEP) to accompany the new MK3.  

What with Heljan almost certainly making an announcment at Warley, possible products on show from Hornbys new catalogue and a Kernow announcement, there is going to be a mass of possible new models announced this month.

Its frustrating that Hornby can say they are showing samples for an announcement not even made yet when they cant even get the D16, 700, K1 and J15 out at their initial release dates.

I would assume that the new release model samples to be displayed would cover the 2014 announcements still to be released, plus possibly the 'King' to give everyone an idea of what progress has been made.

Why let any other cats out of the '2015 announcement bag' now? If they are going to cover anything that is already manufactured and produce a better model, there is no need to 

say anything yet.

I wonder if they now think a Q6 is a good idea! Still plenty of loco classes to be modelled. I can't see why if you have missed the boat move on to something different. Speak to each other guys! We don't need to know. We can sit here frothing but when you are spending thousands developing a new product, the last thing you want to be doing is cutting each others throats!

Amongst (too many) other things, I'm currently bumbling around attempting to build East Kent Railway Number 4 (a Kerr Stuart Victory). So go on, Hornby, I dare you. I've also been stripping a Triang L1 body to make it into an approximation of an E1, so there's another likely candidate.

Regarding the Adams Radial and possible duplication, my money's on the Wrenn version.

It has been pointed out several times here - but here we go again !!

That would be contrary to competition law - and therefore illegal !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

OK John, yes it might considered Cartel agreement if they sit down and agree who is building what and as you rightly say illegal under competition law. But if before any design is undertaken, no scans produced, no development of any kind undertaken. They announce I'm going to build X. If everyone in the industry did that, then possibly others would not produce the same item. Think twice and possibly do something different. At the end of the day when your already 10 miles down the road and your off to the factory to build it, you are commited and generally invested too much to back out. My point!

• RMweb Premium

Kernow posted a CAD of a chimney recently, that looked more SECR P class than Adams to me ( of course some say the well tank had the wrong shaped chimney so.....).

For those who haven't been following it on FB, Kernow has been posting a series of photos that are clues to their next model, which has included various DMUs including Class 122, 142 & 151, Beattie well tank - and Maureen Lipman... Sounds very "BT" (remember the TV Ads?) leading to suggestions of the 3-car Class 118 DMU in the Telecom yellow livery (and presumably others too).  Yes please.

• RMweb Gold

Well, I welcome duplication, triplication, quadrilat ..........err ... competition.

Everyone knows they are all doing the original Merchant Navy.......

.....and the chances of any two doing exactly the same version are, of course, zillions to one  :jester:

I'm engaging the Infinite Improbability Drive as I type........

• RMweb Gold

As much as I love the Adams 4-4-2, I certainly would not buy 4 of them and I seriously doubt the market would support of them all.

Kernow posted a CAD of a chimney recently, that looked more SECR P class than Adams to me ( of course some say the well tank had the wrong shaped chimney so.....).

The problem with duplicates is that if you buy one different member of the class from each manufacturer, instead of seeing differences between class members, you end up seeing differences between each manufacturers models.

Here is hoping we are not going to have multiple manufacturers on the same loco because inevitably the resources of the manufacturers will be tied up which would delay the next projects.

We only KNOW about one Radial so far, suggesting that only Oxford Rail have passed the point of no return.

If Hornby do announce a duplicate, we just won't hear any more about the ones that remain just rumours.

Nobody's going to admit to backing down over a model that they haven't actually announced!

The only true UK manufacturer of r-t-r locos in 4mm scale is OO Works whose products are more akin to batch produced kit buit locos. I own one of their Radials already.

Those (including Hornby) that we generally define as "R-t-r Manufacturers" are nothing of the kind these days. They are all effectively commissioners of varying size who work up the designs but are dependent on others to actually make their stuff. 

Even assuming that Oxford are ahead of the field, they are not expecting the first EP sample until the new year. I very much doubt that anyone has yet booked production slots specifically labelled "Adams Radial" unless there has been an awful lot of secret development going on.

It is far more interesting IMHO to consider what might happen if Hornby DON'T announce a Radial at Warley!

John

• RMweb Gold

New style management I think Downer. The only thing you can take for definite is that the new range will be announced 17th December. And as they've already been working on them for 12 to 18months maybe they'll actually see light of day in 2015. Great they've avoided Christmas !

I think it's a bit more than 'new style' management but one which is - at least in some respects - showing it is listening to things happening in the hobby, and you'd have to be pretty deaf & blind to have missed all the comments about duplication and the fact that Hornby are involved in one, very well known, instance.

So while it could be, and probably can be, seen as 'defensive' they are also making some pretty clear statements of intent while knowing at the same time that what they have put out will engender lots of froth on the 'net which means their brand name will be well to the fore in many discussions and of course the old adage is that 'any publicity is good publicity'.

At the same time they have announced their date of making known their 2015 programme = more froth and wish-listing but with a bit of scattered angst about delays to 2014 introductions, which they have also announced a load of new (2015) dates for.  But while the talk about delays might rumble on the headline froth and 'debate' will be about the 2015 announcements and that is no doubt exactly what they want.

So maybe looking defensive but also something newish on the scene - 'froth management' by a manufacturer and at a very clever moment with Warley just a few days away with its announcements of whatever is going to be announced (which will cause another frothing frenzy of course).  Not so much a battlezone, more a battle of the froth perhaps?

Earl Marischal or the streamlined P2? 

Neither are necessarily a want on my part.

But big green loco's tend to sell well and I imagine both can be done with minimal tooling mods.

That seems like sensible speculation.

Given the very positive reception for the P2, I wonder if there might be a W1 on the horizon? All very hush-hush, obviously.

Paul

After all the hot air released, i'll grab my crystal ball for a closer look at Hornbys new model announcements...

Ahh the clouds are clearing, or is that the froth...

I see a GWR King, knew about that, maybe a duplicate Adams Radial, a duplicate class 71, an LNER pre-group 0-6-0 tank, a Southern 4-6-0 and one other. Oops the clouds are back.

Would like that other one to be a Bullied 4 Sub, fingers crossed.

Off the Hornby track, still hoping for the SECR Wainwright D Class as next years Bachmann/NRM model to complete their set of pre-grouping 4-4-0's (the have already got the tender), and dare we hope for an H Class, I believe that they measured it up on the Bluebell when they were researching the E4.

Or is this just wishful thinking adding to the froth.

Archived