Hornby's Warley Announcements.

Multiple identity account

• RMweb Gold

What coaches were usued often behind the Class 71?

The 71s worked the Golden Arrow, so Pullmans, and the Night Ferry, composed of Wagons Lit, with the odd Fourgon for registered baggage, these latter being French vehicles, but to British loading gauge.

....... Again, as I've said on posts recently its mopping up areas of the engine fleet for the region that already is well served. ......

And, as has been answered, you are wrong if you think the Southern doesn't still have large gaps in its engine fleet requirements.

Ive got to agree a bit with Black Hat on this, the evidence is there to suggest that the duplication we now have is due to the manufacturers concentrating on the GWR and Southern, if they had looked further afield, ie the North East or Scotland this would probably of not occurred.

Its obvious that GWR and Southern sells but is it enough to justify the duplication at the expense of other popular locos from seemingly, to manufacturers anyway, less popular areas.

Two interesting prototypes there;

The Transfesa vans turned up all over the place. Whilst they mainly were loaded with fruit and vegetables for the big urban centres inbound, BR would send them back with whatever back-loads they could get, including drums and sacks of chemicals from Teesside and bagged china-clay from Cornwall.

Whilst the 21t hopper is the LNER-designed type, these did wander and, when the bodies wore out, some were rebuilt as conventional 21t minerals. These ended their days on export coal traffic to Swansea docks.

• RMweb Gold

I like the horsebox too, appears to be an excellent model, I expect to see it in BR livery as well as LMS.

I hope Hornby do well, they appear to be making real efforts to improve their image and delivery problems.

Edward

They just need to put a pair of bullet-proof shoes on their shopping list! :jester:

Yeah I knew of their great continental steam Locos. Just a shame their first UK steamer had so many problems

If  you  compare  the  RRP  of  the  Garratt  with those  of  the  Heljan  Continental  locos then  that  could  be  a  reason??

• RMweb Gold

Oh ?

Which other region is missing any of its main fast freight engines ?

With two Southern locos revealed at Warley, I was going to say we can forget about the S15 (at least from Hornby) for another couple of years.

However, I then remembered they announced three Eastern locos for release this year (OK next).

John

I suspect Hornby have only announced ones that have been duplicated.

However to have 3 locos duplicated from your next range must be crippling. The good news is there is no all new 14XX and Kernow don't seem to be doing an Adams 4-4-2 after all (in fact interesting choice of subjects there too).

Is it me or does the Adams per order button only point to one member of the class? And that being early BR rather than the preserved sample. I suspect most retailers will be making inquiries rather sharply....

If it were not for the duplication, I would say very good choices, but I guess like the others, they are too far down the road.

Need more in the pipe for midland and Scotland though...

I suspect Hornby have only announced ones that have been duplicated.

However to have 3 locos duplicated from your next range must be crippling. The good news is there is no all new 14XX and Kernow don't seem to be doing an Adams 4-4-2 after all (in fact interesting choice of subjects there too).

Is it me or does the Adams per order button only point to one member of the class? And that being early BR rather than the preserved sample. I suspect most retailers will be making inquiries rather sharply....

If it were not for the duplication, I would say very good choices, but I guess like the others, they are too far down the road.

Need more in the pipe for midland and Scotland though...

Agee with the need for more Midland and start on Scottish prototypes, Plenty to go at.:Midland Johnson 0-4-4T, Deeley 0-4-0T, LNWR Cauliflower, L&Y Aspinal 0-6-0, CR 812 0-6-0 & NBR J36 for starters. All these were in the mid range of the recent wish list. Some great opportunities for pre-grouping liveries as well.

With two Southern locos revealed at Warley, I was going to say we can forget about the S15 (at least from Hornby) for another couple of years.

However, I then remembered they announced three Eastern locos for release this year (OK next).

John

Oh ?

Which other region is missing any of its main fast freight engines ?

Who said anything about freight needing to go fast?

Your top link engines that were relegated onto freight stuff is more or less there but thats the same of any region. Yet, do I want an A1 on a rake of 21t hoppers? Errr... No. Thankfully DJM is moving into North East Region freight with the Q6, but as yet there is no follow up. In the North East, there is no J21, J25, J27, no good D49, there is no B16, theres no A5, or G5, and the J72 is now old and needs to be redone. Theres also no BR standard 2MT, theres no BR standard 3MT which was almost entirely a South West Durham machine.

Engines produced that can run in the area have normally been designed around the idea of a range being produced by a manufacturer and as such it was the fact that they predominatly ran elsewhere is the main reason they were produced. The O1 was a tie in for they ran in the Midland area, not because some were at Tyne Dock and thats just one example, but fair enough. Hornby have gone for the GE, even the K1 fits with this, although modellers up north were jumping for joy with the announcement only the reinforcement of the 21T hopper gives us an idea that Hornby might be moving on from this area. Other engines annouced last year are about as much good to be as an Adams Radial, or Streamlined Merchant Navy. Neither the D16/3 thingy or the J15 were seen up here. Irroncially the J21 was seen in Norwich - so maybe Hornby want to try this next as a transition model.

Bachmann have gone for the Great Central in the hope that it overlaps with other areas they are running into. Some Bachmann stuff has seen Great Northern tie ins, as well as a lot of plans to model the Midland designs that ran across the midland network. However, we are fast getting to the stage where Big Four engines of both top link and freight are being done. A lot of the standards have been done too, leaving the way open for units and diesels.

Bachmann again have led the market into areas such as units as they bridge both the transition period and blue to blue and grey. Here they can use these models to cater for the two popular time periods. But such designs were seen across the network. They can be up north, and midland, even western in places. Diesels also have been done by the manufacters meaning that the focus for those who look to complete the range goes on pre-grouping steam and the hope that such engines get announced. This is where the gaps in the ranges become more accute, and when duplication over a engine with very "limited georgraphical coverage" for one area for a locomotive type that is novelty rather than a mainstream part to a locomotive fleet for a different area you should be able to see why some of us are frustrated.  

I am looking forwards to the Q6 being produced and although its one engine for the region another announced to follow would boost confidence, while hope others in similar interests also get their patience rewarded. I do feel for Scottish modellers as their postion is not helped by the designs being lost within both Eastern and Midland camps. Scotland and the North East regions as BR had them would be best viewed as seperate and it would again highlight such defficiences in the fleets available. That is of course, if your willing to acknowledge they exist to start with.

Archived