Burton On Trent in N2

RBE

Well yes I never really had an issue with 2ft long grass as long as it is in select areas. The area behind the old loading bay is pretty overgrown with scrub and bushes too so of course I will be adding a load of that too.

• RMweb Premium

Took half an hour in my lunch break today and knocked up this kit I was kindly sent. I really like this, wish I could get a rake of the kits for BoT.

attachicon.gif2016-03-08 21.31.19.jpg

Hi

Yes it would be good if this was put back into production though I think it unlikely as didn't Dapol announce they would be producing one?

Cheers

Paul

I don't know but it will be 3 times the cost. It's about time that the age of the kit came back, with the price of rtr stock these days I can't believe that there isn't a market for a cheaper alternative that just takes a bit of work to produce an outstanding model rather than throw big money at a ready made one just so you can tip out out of a box.

Edited by RBE

No Christian I haven't but then again I only built it today and wasn't even sure who had produced it. I may drop them a line. How much did they sell them for?

Yeah sounds about right. 10 farish axles for £6 means an extra £2.40 a wagon which is still damn good value I reckon. I use aftermarket couplings in any case (dg).

I don't know but it will be 3 times the cost. It's about time that the age of the kit came back, with the price of rtr stock these days I can't believe that there isn't a market for a cheaper alternative that just takes a bit of work to produce an outstanding model rather than throw big money at a ready made one just so you can tip out out of a box.

Totally agree. Kits are fun to build and the end result is a model where you can add as much or as little extra detail as you like. I'd certainly back any company who would be willing to release a comprehensive range of wagon kits.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• RMweb Gold

Hi Cav,

Is that the ex Chivers kit?  It's very nice, but I have never been able to get my rake of a dozen or so to run well. I don't think the fxing for the bogie bolster is secure enough.  I have actually toyed with the idea of producing a small etch for the bogie frame, with holes for top-hat bearings, so the rather nicely detailed bogie frames could just be fixed on cosmetically.

It is also a bit of a shame that the brake wheel is moulded into the bogie frame, as sometimes the solid discs were replaced with spoked ones.

TBH I just wish Farish would sell bogies as spares.  Life would be a lot easier if their Commonwealths, B4s, BR1s, Y25s, Thralls, and FBT6s were available to buy and use!

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Cav,

Is that the ex Chivers kit?  It's very nice, but I have never been able to get my rake of a dozen or so to run well. I don't think the fxing for the bogie bolster is secure enough.  I have actually toyed with the idea of producing a small etch for the bogie frame, with holes for top-hat bearings, so the rather nicely detailed bogie frames could just be fixed on cosmetically.

It is also a bit of a shame that the brake wheel is moulded into the bogie frame, as sometimes the solid discs were replaced with spoked ones.

TBH I just wish Farish would sell bogies as spares.  Life would be a lot easier if their Commonwealths, B4s, BR1s, Y25s, Thralls, and FBT6s were available to buy and use!

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben

I filled the axle holes then drilled them to accept 2mm SA bearings and used their N Gauge wheels. They may be alright with the new Farish wheels as they have sharper points.

Cheers

Paul

I have new farish wheels in there and the bogies run well as a unit. I assume the issue is something to do with the bogie fixing to the bogie pivots? Mine was as tight as you like straight from the box so were quite stiff and with no bogie tilt play at all which I could see being a problem when running. I have opened out the hole a little to allow the bogies to pivot freely and give a little bogie movement. The bolster is quite thick though so doesn't allow much in the way of bogie tilt in any given direction when on the screw. I wonder if opening the hole up a fair bit more but only halfway to 3/4 the way through from below will allow the bogie to tilt better on the screw whilst maintaining a nice flat surface on top of the bolster to keep the wagon flat in normal running circumstances?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Cav,

I found that I just couldn't seem to get them to roll consistently. The length of the axles on the wheelsets I was using (from the NGS - Romfords) would only rotate freely if the bogie sideframes were so far apart the joint was weakened.

TBH I kind of gave up and put them in a stock box about 3 years ago; should probably get them out again.

Pau's solution of using 2mmA wheels to N Gauge standards is a good idea as I believe they use shorter axles but are these wheels still available?

cheers

Ben A.

As I said Ben. I have standard Farish RP25 type wheels in there (10 axles for £6 type) and they run very freely with the bolsters right in as far as they will go and MEKed in.

Edited by RBE

• 5 weeks later...

Well a couple of spare hours following some commissioned modelling has born fruit. I have a few Dapol Grampus wagons which have yet been untouched so I popped one out of the box to see what I was dealing with. Not bad actually but of course some weathering and distress was in order. I also wasn't too keen on the ballast false load which despite having slightly strange ballast shapes also sits spot on level with the top of the wagon sides which to me looks a little silly.

Wagon as new

post-6894-0-19111200-1460160614_thumb.jpg

First step was to trim the ballast load end so that it sits lower, only need a mm or two off here.

post-6894-0-78165500-1460160616_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-59538200-1460160619_thumb.jpg

Looks better I think

post-6894-0-25278900-1460160623_thumb.jpg

Then the weathering job, I've also added a coil of wire inside for interest as these wagons were frequently used for taking away any old rubbish during PW work.

post-6894-0-20842700-1460160626_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-21982900-1460160629_thumb.jpg

I also have the option of ballast transport with the modified load. I may glue proper ballast to this though as I am still not convinced about the texture.

post-6894-0-10176600-1460160633_thumb.jpg

Comments welcome as always!

Edited by RBE
  • Like 12

Hi Cav,

Your weathered version looks superb and when compared like for like with the new Dapol version is streets ahead!!

I'd use your own ballast to be honest, the factory made load just looks wrong... wrong texture, wrong particle size.

Would you be able to give us a bit more information as to how you weathered the Grampus?

Cheers

Lee

I also have the option of ballast transport with the modified load. I may glue proper ballast to this though as I am still not convinced about the texture.

attachicon.gif20160409_005527.jpg

Comments welcome as always!

Your weathering and alterations really make a huge improvement.

To be honest, I'd lower the load more and sprinkle some real ballast (or whatever) on it, as it looks rather flat and too even at the moment..

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak

Hi Cav,

Nice work on the Grampus the weathering is spot on. Regards the ballast load, as Lee mentioned, I would use your own ballast.

Is the load going to be spoil from a track renewal? Spoil is alot heavier than fresh ballast so height of the load would be different due to possible overloading.

Cheers

Simon