Burton On Trent in N2

RBE

Thanks guys. I'm pretty pleased with it. Yes the load is pretty awful, Dapol should be congratulated for supplying something though at least and is a quick fix with some real ballast glued on as you have mentioned. I will be doing this. I like it empty with just the wire though tbh but the load gives me options for variety of services.

As for how I weathered it the first step was to have a shufty through Paul Bartletts website for prototype pics. I wanted one that was a bit worse for wear and the one I used was the worst grey and yellow one on there. They seemed to be in fairly good nick it seems. The next step was to take the screw out of the bottom and seperate the body from the chassis, this allows me to fade the bodywork easier with a white acrylic wash using games workshop paints without getting any on the chassis. We don't want that with white on. Seperating also allows easier weathering of the chassis later without catching the work done on the bodywork. The diluted white was applied to all of the bodysides and allow to dry off a little before pulling it vertically with a cotton bud. We are looking for a limey looking fade here. Once thats done I switched to the interior where I used my two favourite rust shades of games workshop acrylic, scorched brown and bestial brown. The main rust colour I use is the Scorched brown as it looks like dark rust thats set in and weathered down over time. I highlight this here and there with the Bestial. For the inside of the wagon sides I stippled on both colours loosely mixed to give a mottled colour variation.

Doing this allowed the outsides to dry so now I add a very thin black wash and manipulate it to sit around the raised detail and provide false shadow and trapped dirt. I also at this stage mixed up a darker grey and painted the upper end wooed board as the one on PB's photo had this one a slightly darker shade. I painted both sides of this board to show that the wood was inside too and not metal like the rest of it. That was then left to dry again while I moved on to the wooden floor inside. This was given a wash of mid grey to represent weathered wood. Back to the outside and now we start to add focused thick washes of scorched brown where rust starts to form in the nooks. Then we get a little more scorched brown but apply it virtually neat in tiny spots and blemishes. Lastly the prongs that hang from the bottom of the body (actually side door stops) were given a thin coat of black.

The body was put aside and the chassis and wheel faces were given a full coat of enamel frame dirt. Before drying the whole thing was then dusted with brown and graphite chalks to make a nice weathered and metallic greasy looking chassis, the wet paint allowing it to stick. The shanks at the rear of the buffer heads were picked out in silver and the step and brake handle in white.

The body floor inside was then given a thin wash of black in the bottom and the whole thing dusted with graphite and brown chalks. I then splodged on some scorched brown randomly and applied further powders to give variation to the finish. Lastly I made a coil of wire and painted it with scorched brown before adding to the wagon bottom with a coupke of tiny dots of superglue. Another dust of powder and the body was done. Reassemble and enjoy!

The whole process took about 2 hours.

Edited by RBE
  • Like 2

Ah the travelodge at the other side of the bridge to the right hand side of the layout. I would actually like to have the hotel represented on the backscene but I've yet to decide how I am going to tackle the backscene at all yet!

• Like 1

Ah the travelodge at the other side of the bridge to the right hand side of the layout. I would actually like to have the hotel represented on the backscene but I've yet to decide how I am going to tackle the backscene at all yet!

Morning Cav, in the period your modelling I believe the Old Grain Warehouse was used as Council Offices, when I moved up here in Oct 2005 the Car Park was used (as it still is today) as the Station Car Park and very busy, and also often frequented by Spotters as the line was a constant flow of Traffic.

Either way, if you model the Building you'll need LOADS of Cars to fill the Car Park.

Under one of the Arches under the Road was a Recording Studio that I played in several times with a Punk Band! :O  :no:  :no: :no:  

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

Cheers for that info Andy. It's always interesting finding out stuff like that. I won't be modelling the building par se unless I do a future extention! The building is the wrong side of the road but you would see it on the backscene so to speak. Still not sure how I'm going to portray Burton on the backscene yet. There is no where observer height that I can easily go up in Burton to take photos for a photo backscene or even take a view for painting one!

Edited by RBE

Cheers for that info Andy. It's always interesting finding out stuff like that. I won't be modelling the building par se unless I do a future extention! The building is the wrong side of the road but you would see it on the backscene so to speak. Still not sure how I'm going to portray Burton on the backscene yet. There is no where observer height that I can easily go up in Burton to take photos for a photo backscene or even take a view for painting one!

DRONE! :no:  :no: :no:  :no:  :no:  

:nono:  :nono: :nono:  :nono:  :sungum:  

• Like 1

Thats a good idea but I don't have a drone (I have a RC helicopter though). It would be very dangerous to fly over there though and I would get my collar felt I'm sure!

Well said Paul. The ANO especially this section should be attached to every Drone. In fact someone buying a Drone should be made to read the above and sign a letter confirming understanding of above that letter should then be filed with the CAA.

Back to Burton looking forward to more trucks. With reference ballast loads maybe showing a couple of ridges as the ballast may have been loaded by a digger.

Keith HC

Yes indeed. Although I don't have such and issue with FPV as the danger aspect. Clearly being clouted by an out of control aircraft is worse than someone having FPV fun. Of course the line between FPV and spying is a blurred one.

As for the wagon loads they are made by Dapol as seen (there are actually 3 piles of ballast represented on them which doesn't show at all on the photos) I agree they look pants but some proper ballast stuck on to will look fine.

I spent many of hours at night spotting in that carpark the side you are doing as a back scene the flats between the bottling plant and the station bridge was not there in the 80s/90s that site belonged to the station hotel it was a car park and a small warehouse type building with 3 or 4 floors the P way buildings nearest the station if that helps.

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

After a bit of a break from getting any modelling done I spent a few hours on the office unit. I managed to get the colours on amd window frames added. Pretty pleased with it so far but have a few areas in side the open windows to touch in where it was difficult to get the paint brush in. Each on those windows is only 8mm square so you can understand. I may have to remove the open windows paint the exposed edges and reattach. Still need to do the doors etc and give the whole thing a dark wash and weather but certainly nearing the finish line on this now.

post-6894-0-63917800-1462344385_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

That really does look the Bee's Knee's Cav. Fully deserving of the Craftsmanship/Clever button. I love the fact you've modelled some of the windows open as it adds an extra dimension to an otherwise slab sided building. You should by very pleased with it as its a great piece of modelling.

Cheers

Marcus

Cheers guys. It will probably be modelled around the june/july period season wise so yes open windows will be good for that, I'm sure those offices would get stuffy in summer! I suppose they could have air con but who knows!

• Like 1

i think modelling open windows is a nice touch. It adds atmosphere to the scene! It give that sense of living and is really seldom modelled? BoT is going to be awesome when finished Cav,

Thanks Steve. Its rare to see all the windows closed on a building in spring and summer. I am planning on getting the building done over the weekend and getting itbin place on the layout. Tomorrow will hopefully be a BoT day for me and on the list will be adding point motors and wiring the track up. I may even get to see movement on the lines!

• Like 1