KERNOW TODAY

• RMweb Gold

Erm... Am I missing something or does that mean the engines on the clay trains will have to run round on the main line?

You might be. I think you may be getting the goods loops and sidings mixed up.

It's a lesson that's never been lost on me, Mike, and one that I have been trying to press home on many, many occasions at many, many meetings. However, the final decision makers have made their mind up and Lostwithiel Down Sidings will almost certainly go. That's not to say that my efforts haven't been successful elsewhere.

Agree with Mike's comments.   Surely its better to let those on the spot be responsible for keeping or removing certain track; points, sidings, doubling or singling or whatever, rather than some desk jockey miles away with an adding machine for a brain!  Taken to its illogical conclusion, there would be a siding all the way from Penzance to Plymouth, hopefully with passing loops,  if every decision was made from afar!

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

You might be. I think you may be getting the goods loops and sidings mixed up.

Possibly. I hope I am.

The thought that anyone could see sense in running round a 700 ton train of CDAs on the main line, across a level crossing,  in the middle of the promised upgraded summer service leaves me quite - tries to think of polite word  - baffled....

Also just thinking of the little mishap and partial fouling they had last summer happening actually on the main.

• RMweb Premium

Possibly. I hope I am.

The thought that anyone could see sense in running round a 700 ton train of CDAs on the main line, across a level crossing,  in the middle of the promised upgraded summer service leaves me quite - tries to think of polite word  - baffled....

Also just thinking of the little mishap and partial fouling they had last summer happening actually on the main.

The sidings which are going are the ones to the west of the level crossing on the down side behind the signal box. They have been OOU for years now.

The up and down loops Plymouth side of the crossing are not going anywhere.

On the positive side, it'll make the track in the area a lot more reliable. Having less points to maintain and operate (on the mainline) is good for reliability, especially old ones!

Edited by Gary H

To be honest Trevor, you've taken some nice shots there where the sun never comes around this time of year. Treffry does look better without the sun as it doesn't get high enough into the railway so you end up with a highly lit tree canopy & train in shade.

Here's some interesting news about the Luxulyan valley too!

http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/council-and-democracy/council-news-room/media-releases/news-from-2015/news-from-october-2015/successful-heritage-lottery-fund-bid-to-support-luxulyan-valley-heritage-restoration-project/

Golant is impossible to illuminate the front of a Lostwithiel bound loco with the current timetable. The results of shots like these in B&W is also quite powerful, lovely textures in the leaf colour etc...  

• RMweb Premium

To be honest Trevor, you've taken some nice shots there where the sun never comes around this time of year. Treffry does look better without the sun as it doesn't get high enough into the railway so you end up with a highly lit tree canopy & train in shade.

Here's some interesting news about the Luxulyan valley too!

http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/council-and-democracy/council-news-room/media-releases/news-from-2015/news-from-october-2015/successful-heritage-lottery-fund-bid-to-support-luxulyan-valley-heritage-restoration-project/

Golant is impossible to illuminate the front of a Lostwithiel bound loco with the current timetable. The results of shots like these in B&W is also quite powerful, lovely textures in the leaf colour etc...  

Thanks Craig and also for the good news about the valley and the viaduct.

The viaduct shot was pure luck on many fronts. I see what you mean about the height of the sun there and will bear that in mind in future. 

Slowly learning about all these photo spots is very satisfying. You can look at pictures in books, on Flickr or even RMweb(!) but nothing beats knowledge on the ground.

All the best, Trevor.

Is the land going to be sold? I suppose if the clay trains ever stopped to Fowey, there could have been an attempt at preservation with the sidings, or at least the land, in place?

Undoubtedly there will soon be flats or a housing estate there in the fullness of time!  Much more valuable than sidings let alone any preservation attempt.  Just like the Up side!

Brian

• RMweb Gold

Undoubtedly there will soon be flats or a housing estate there in the fullness of time!  Much more valuable than sidings let alone any preservation attempt.  Just like the Up side!

Brian

The land of the Down Yard at Lostwithiel is owned by Network Rail but on a 99 year lease to DB Schenker, like most of their other sites, so in the short term, it is 'theirs' to do with what they wish, although it is possible that some of the area may yet be used for storing railway maintenance materials.

The siding has seen recent use, namely the RailVac.

The Down Yard  hasn't been used to run clay trains round for many, many years, and only short trains were ever possible. For the current maximum permitted loads of 38 CDAs, you would always have had to use either the Up Goods Loop or the Down Goods Loop, both of which are staying.

• RMweb Premium

" although it is possible that some of the area may yet be used for storing railway maintenance materials."

That sounds about right, :no:  Speaking from bitter experience, trying to get a large truck (ie, the DU's large truck) down that tiny street with cars parked down the sides and then trying to back into that small gateway by the signal box is an absolute night mare!

I don't think they could find anywhere more awkward or dangerous to get into if they tried.

Here's hoping it doesn't happen!

Edited by Gary H

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone know the cause of the delays heading into Cornwall today?Went to catch a train from Plymouth and it was a bit chaotic, although the train I wanted the 12:39, left more or less on time.

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone know the cause of the delays heading into Cornwall today?Went to catch a train from Plymouth and it was a bit chaotic, although the train I wanted the 12:39, left more or less on time.

Fatality involving 143619 on 2T10 close to Dawlish on the sea wall. Line shut for a while. Normal working was resumed at 11.50 apparently.

• RMweb Premium

Fatality involving 143619 on 2T10 close to Dawlish on the sea wall. Line shut for a while. Normal working was resumed at 11.50 apparently.

Thanks for the response although not the sort of thing we want to hear.

Of course my thoughts are with the family of the deceased,

but also with the driver of 143619.

With the supposed closure of the clay sidings at Lostwithiel, what will happen in the future when any RHTT or similar trains need stabling?  Sidings are already at a premium and trains already have to travel great distances just to runaround.  What happens when the Royal Train comes to the county as there are no cosy little disused branch lines or sidings to spend the night these days?

Brian.

I was told by a railway manager (who will remain nameless!) recently that the rumours that the down rail yard at Lostwithiel is to be removed are COMPLETELY UNTRUE. The sidings will remain although there MAY not be so many sidings as there are at present. 

Some interesting news coming to light about an exciting new working into Cornwall very soon, some of you may have an idea what I am talking about! 

Edited by RichardTrevithick

• RMweb Gold

I was told by a railway manager (who will remain nameless!) recently that the rumours that the down rail yard at Lostwithiel is to be removed are COMPLETELY UNTRUE. The sidings will remain although there MAY not be so many sidings as there are at present. 

I only wish that the person you allude to was better informed. I take no pleasure from being well-informed in this regard, but there it is. Your source is unfortunately incorrect, certainly with regard to longer term intentions.

Nothing is 100% certain yet, but I do know which way the wind is blowing on this one.

Some interesting news coming to light about an exciting new working into Cornwall very soon, some of you may have an idea what I am talking about! 

Maybe I do, maybe not. If you could give us a clue or two, that might help.

• Like 2

...... The sidings will remain although there MAY not be so many sidings as there are at present. 

I recall back in the 1970's hearing a similar remark for a Scottish region location,

At the time there was in fact only one existing siding at that place.

The conveyor of the information had been briefed with a plan from the 1920's.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I recall back in the 1970's hearing a similar remark for a Scottish region location,

At the time there was in fact only one existing siding at that place.

The conveyor of the information had been briefed with a plan from the 1920's.

Sadly, my information is a little more up to date, Sandy.

• Like 1

Off topic - to a degree - there was an instance in County Cork

where due to some rioting the local Police force was doubled

with re-inforcements from Cork itself to cope with the troubles...

From 1 to 2 (and both had bikes).

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Regardless of who is right or wrong regards Lostwithiel I suppose we will have to wait and see, if they are removed it seems yet another stabling point will be lost for good. Shortsightedness imo.

I can't disagree with your final comment.

• Like 2

A couple from the end of the Tamar Valley Line at Gunnislake taken last sunday, 1st November. 

22690044622_925ca49ef5_c.jpg

22082448793_ef2ef539e4_c.jpg

Another, this time just over the Tamar at Bere Alston this has a 3 minute wait while crew change ends so plenty of time to get off for a photo then back on.

22696478062_4aa3f9c364_c.jpg

• Like 9