The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, chris p bacon said:

Doesn't play, I'm guessing it's a Facebook link.

25 minutes ago, mezzoman253 said:

Played fine yesterday evening and again this morning, in latest Chrome  browser.

Is indeed a Facebook link.    

Rob

You can't see it unless your on Farcebook. Problem also is it is too large for the page, being in portrate format I had to watch it twice to understand what was going on, first the top half then the bottom half. You can cut and paste from Farcebook and in some cases everyone can see (but not all posts, something to do with the settings I imagine).

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

You can't see it unless your on Farcebook. Problem also is it is too large for the page, being in portrate format I had to watch it twice to understand what was going on, first the top half then the bottom half. You can cut and paste from Farcebook and in some cases everyone can see (but not all posts, something to do with the settings I imagine).

Very odd, if you click the option for 'full screen', it plays in a smaller screen!

However the real fool is the owner?, who apparently intends to ride off wearing only his street clothing!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Well I could see it despite having absolutely no truck with faceache.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Hi Phil,

AFAIK I'm not subscribed to Facebook! :huh:

Rob

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Reorte said:

Could you have a blocker configured to reject anything from them?

I don't have any blockers,  If I click to play it does nothing.   I get this occasionally but only with links to facebook, I just presume that they are behind a login page.

• RMweb Premium

Yeah, thats the problem with LEDs, they are very directional. Great for, say, car headlights where you want the light to go in (roughly) one direction. But for streetlights, they need to be well designed to spread the light. The new one outside my parents house is nice and bright, doesn't shine into the house, etc, but nor does it illuminate the far side of the cul-de-sac which is now in darkness, nor does the spread of light reach the next street light's patch, because the light is focussed down and in a fairly narrow radius. It shouldn't be that hard to produce one that gives an almost rectangular spread of light that spreads out each way along the street, with alternative heads for where wider spreads of light are needed. 

• Agree 1

On 13/12/2019 at 08:51, chris p bacon said:

Doesn't play, I'm guessing it's a Facebook link.

Basically he is sat on the bike revving the engine for no reason whatsoever and a kid goes behind it and stamps it into gear causing the bike to shoot forward throwing him off, richly deserved!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

had a right one tonight first she shot across the railway crossing with the red lights flashing the barrier just missing the roof of the car

she then turned right and went up a one way street the wrong way narrowly missing me on my bike then did a three point turn and shot off 

there was an ambulance parked on the other side of the road must have got on to the radio as a police car came through on blue lights about a minute later 

hope he caught up with her 

John 

• Friendly/supportive 4

15 hours ago, jbqfc said:

had a right one tonight first she shot across the railway crossing with the red lights flashing the barrier just missing the roof of the car

she then turned right and went up a one way street the wrong way narrowly missing me on my bike then did a three point turn and shot off 

there was an ambulance parked on the other side of the road must have got on to the radio as a police car came through on blue lights about a minute later 

hope he caught up with her 

John 

Unfortunately the police car was more likely a co-incidence and I don't see the list of poor driving here as being anything that would illicit a blue light response.

As for offences, It could stretch to dangerous driving, careless perhaps more likely. Ignoring a traffic signal, (twice,) definitely, but that's unlikely to get the blues on unless they witness it themselves or a more serious concern has been reported like being under the influence and then maybe, but it would be a long shot to be able to catch up especially if there are multiple routes to take.

Andy

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Regards a police car being in the right place at the right time, last weekend outside crew station a woman was reversing slowly into the one way taxi rank area and despite a taxi that was waiting to leave blowing his horn repeatedly she reversed very Very slowly into his front bumper, no damage, but right in front of a traffic police car, the bobby never got out but spoke to her and the taxi driver through the window 

she then drove off and went through a red light, the police car followed her with blues on and pulled her over, we saw her being breathalysed as we were walking back to the car then when we passed by again in the car she was sat in the back of the police car with the traffic police man moving her car off the road into a car park for her, I suspect she may have blown positive 

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
On 14/12/2019 at 16:42, PhilJ W said:

I have replaced most if not all the light bulbs in my house with LED bulbs. They all give an even 360o  coverage so I don't see why street lights cant do the same.  

Probably lose some efficiency in doing so. But one of the points of LED steetlights is that they don't light up everything other than the street (thank goodness). If they're leaving patches of unlit street then the design needs to be changed to accommodate that at most.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Reorte said:

Probably lose some efficiency in doing so. But one of the points of LED steetlights is that they don't light up everything other than the street (thank goodness). If they're leaving patches of unlit street then the design needs to be changed to accommodate that at most.

It's not so much that LED lights don't light up adequate areas, it's the design of the reflector which spreads the beam pattern which needs to be tweaked, but the problem is that there are "one size fits all" reflectors which aren't always suitable for their placement.

Mike.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

It's not so much that LED lights don't light up adequate areas, it's the design of the reflector which spreads the beam pattern which needs to be tweaked, but the problem is that there are "one size fits all" reflectors which aren't always suitable for their placement.

Mike.

They've just replaced the lights in our office car park with new LED ones, and now have exactly this problem - some areas are really brightly lit, while others have been plunged into gloomy darkness...

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

LED streetlights are simply put on top of exisiting streetlamp posts which were just far and high enough for the old sodium lamps but not right for the new LED lamps. Most councils don't have the cash to replace and re-space all of the lamp posts.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

4 minutes ago, Nick C said:

They've just replaced the lights in our office car park with new LED ones, and now have exactly this problem - some areas are really brightly lit, while others have been plunged into gloomy darkness...

The street lights in my area have had new LED heads fitted (and a few posts replaced).

They gave pools of light on the road with dark patches between them.  A few months ago the heads were replaced with new ones which give much more even light coverage.

There was also a problem locally that many of the pavements are separated from the road by grass and trees so they were too dark until the new heads were fitted giving wider coverage.

David

• Like 2