Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

The Hull to South Howden service ceased July 1955. I have no positive infomation, but the photo' may have been taken Saturday afternoon, the bloke who took it, would otherwise have been at work.

Who were your Grandparents? I probably knew them.

Joint Dock Junction was installed by the NERly for construction traffic to acsess the new dock. The then Withernsea Branch is on the left, and the new Dock Branch is to the right. Apart from the signalbox and junction etc, an almost identical view could be taken today and appox 110 years later.

post-702-0-21229100-1465946214_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Joint Dock Junction was installed by the NERly for construction traffic to acsess the new dock. The then Withernsea Branch is on the left, and the new Dock Branch is to the right. Apart from the signalbox and junction etc, an almost identical view could be taken today and appox 110 years later.

attachicon.gifJOINT DOCK Jct c1905 - Copy.jpg

Mick,

Nice bridge detail.

Regards,

Roy

The Hull to South Howden service ceased July 1955. I have no positive infomation, but the photo' may have been taken Saturday afternoon, the bloke who took it, would otherwise have been at work.

Who were your Grandparents? I probably knew them.

Hi Mick,

My relatives were Frank & Winnie Webb, my dads Uncle & Aunt. They lived on the opposite side of Alliance Avenue from the railway embankment. I can't remember the number of the house now it was that long ago.

Uncle Frank died about 1964 and Auntie Win eventually remarried and moved to Cottingham about 1970/1.

My dad tells me that Uncle Frank was a keen motorist and changed his car every few years, so he must have endured Hull's many level crossings on a daily basis.

Back to photo's of East Yorkshire's railways - I remember one year my aunt had saved me a copy of the local newspaper as there was an article and photo in it of the newly arrived D95xx/class14's from the WR.

I can't remember any of the article but the photo was of a group of 3 or 4 locos around a turntable looking not exactly overworked. The picture could have been taken at Dairycoates or even in one of the remaining GWR roundhouses before they were dispatched to the Hull area. I have never seen this photograph in any publication since.

It must have been an interesting job taking one to Bridlington and back with a pickup goods!

Uless it' a big coincidence I remember your Auntie Win, she had the corner shop, but lived the other side of the road, about ten doors away from where I'm now sat.

I have questioned Dad about this and you are absolutely right !. It is a small world. He was quite pleased that someone still remembers her shop.

Apparently she had guaranteed custom as the shop was near a school.

I think it must have been when she retired that she bought the caravan at Withernsea and consequently my not very pleasant memories of the unnecessary closure and demolition of the Withernsea and Hornsea lines.

Like the photo of the interior of West Parade box. It must have been a demanding place to work.

Edited by Metro457
  • Like 1

Springhead shed yard, from Locomotive Junction, and looking east. A cleaned up version of a battered old postcard sized print taken by the late George Gregory, and onetime shed master at Springhead. Exact date unkown, but certainly post November 1913.

ttachment=724270:LOCO JUNCTION SYX SIGNAL RESIZED.jpg]

post-702-0-69615100-1466465151_thumb.jpg

post-702-0-69615100-1466465151_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Hello, everyone. Yesterday I had a cycle tour, and one of the places I cycled through was Lowthorpe. It is to be found on the line between Driffield and Bridlington. I took a few photo's, and here are two of them. The platforms were staggered at Lowthorpe station, with one each side of the level crossing.

Sorry about the slight mistiness, that was the camera lens, which I have now cleaned, and it is as good as new!

post-22631-0-01818800-1467058347_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-45738900-1467058366_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 2