Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

That assumes they are actually making some sort of profit. This is (finescale) railway modelling, after all.....

Just the fact the businesses are surviving suggests they are making money. Maybe I should have wrote "putting food on the table and covering the mortgage". I think most people involved in railway modelling realises, as far as being a small trader in the model railway world is concerned, there is very little very profit to be made compared to the hours expended.

Same is probably true for the big boys to looking at Hornby's current financial plight.

Now, back to the Peckett.

Really hoping Hornby go ahead with this one in SDJR. surely a winner on sales! May a Ltd Edn.

Alas I think the odds on getting RTR SDJR stock are a lot longer, though it is a good time to back outsiders 'Leicester City' 'Danny Willett' etc. or maybe you think 'Donald Trump' as President is more likely!?!  :superstition:  :jester:  :O  :banghead:

Though I've just bought some new limited edition SDJR Blue Dapol Coaches that have just been released for the Footplate at Kidderminster, though they are fictional as they used there Dapol Stanier Sub Stock, but that's no worry to me. It's some RTR SDJR Blue Coaches!   :locomotive:

• Like 1

IMHO the subject of replacement wheel sets for those locomotives that have nothing available is something of a vexed one.

Yes, all too true. I have one of these on order because I'm hoping that someone will do the wheels. If not the executors can sell it of when I've gone mouldy.

Regards

Well what about Colin over at Alan Gibson has he made any noises about replacement wheels or is he waiting until they are released before doing any work on the possibility? 

Well what about Colin over at Alan Gibson has he made any noises about replacement wheels or is he waiting until they are released before doing any work on the possibility?

I doubt he'll be doing anything at all, apart from offering the nearest equivalent if there is one.

Having had a squint at the AGW catalogue it would appear that the 3'0", 10 spoke Black Hawthorn with a 9" throw is probably near enough for most. The cast in weight can be covered by a cosmetic counterweight and the diameter is near enough for an industrial engine. At "normal viewing distances" the vast majority of people wouldn't know and if someone raises objections there are a wide variety of responses available. :diablo_mini:

Cheers,

David

I feel we may be jumping the gun a bit about the wheels, most current Hornby wheels are pretty good, and replacements would only be needed ffor EM and P4. For general 16.5 uses the current wheels are "finer scale" for 00, without actually matching the NMRA RP-25 in flange depth or root radius.

From the issued pictures the overall wheel looks correct, it is right for code 75, or indeed finer code track as suits industrial layouts.

If the rim presses forward to re machine there is no problem with re facing the front rim, it would end up exactly in line and flush as before.

Both EM and P4 would end up with a brass tyre after machining, but it can be blackened, or nickel or silver plated, which is relatively easy at home, kits are done, but most modellers could put together the parts easily.

As the centres look accurate and the diameter small, it would also be practical to machine away half depth the brass, and slip on stainless steel or Nickel Silver rims, or for P4 purists, use mild steel rims. I never use plain steel due to rust risk.

My own use these days would be 00, as the locos are intended for an industrial extension to my new layout. It is of more concern to see if they are geared down enough for realistic operations.

Hornby do not seem to want the Peckett to be a replacement for the Toy 040 locos they do, very much more a collectors limited run loco. Going on other FE runs recently we are hardly likely to see them still being sold in two years time, unless re run in new liveries. I hope it will be around longer, but the makers who use FE production do not like longer term plans.

Stephen.

... most current Hornby wheels are pretty good, and replacements would only be needed for EM and P4. ....

....which is precisely why this is being discussed. If - as seems likely - no new aftermarket wheel is created for this class, then it really will have to be a matter of modification or replacement of the existing tyre and grafting on a new one onto the - in this case - Hornby plastic centre. The same option applies to driving wheels for the BR Std.6/7/8, which you can obtain as spares from Hornby or others, since no specific aftermarket wheel exists for these classes (the only available one is actually for the Std.5).

Edited by Horsetan

IIRC BR std 5, 6 & 7 used the same wheels and AGW supply them with a 3mm i/d hole.

Pretty sure that's right.

There seems to be a backlog developing for aftermarket wheels. I now have the Heljan 05 in stock but no wheels and the same appears to be in prospect for this model too. I think I'll have to be more circumspect in my future purchases.

Regards

IIRC BR std 5, 6 & 7 used the same wheels and AGW supply them with a 3mm i/d hole.

Pretty sure that's right...

The machining was very different - have a look at the hub / bosses on a Std.5, then compare them with those on a Std.6/7/8 - the Pacifics appear to have much more substantial hubs.

Pretty sure that's right.

The machining was very different - have a look at the hub / bosses on a Std.5, then compare them with those on a Std.6/7/8 - the Pacifics appear to have much more substantial hubs.

... and still they wait.  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/28379-ultrascale-britannia-driving-wheels/&do=findComment&comment=297208

The i/d might be an issue. I would imagine that the current wheel has a 1/8" i/d.

Regards

I'm going on the expectation that Chris Gibbon is going to be doing a bespoke chassis/frame/gearbox as mine will end up running on P4 track.

Cheers,

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

B@gg*r !!!

Another loco added to "must have at all costs" list........

Where's the silver ?......

Rob.

Judging by the amount of metal showing in the sample there will be no shortage of weight. I should have liked to have seen some slow running but that's just me being fussy. Looking good Hornby, I think I'll pre-order a second one :locomotive:

Cheers,

David

• Like 1

I have been puzzled for a long time as to why manufacturers never took the industrial steam market seriously. There ought to be huge interest in this model.

Hopefully it will encourage manufacturers to try a few others, like Manning Wardles and Barclays for example.

I have been puzzled for a long time as to why manufacturers never took the industrial steam market seriously. There ought to be huge interest in this model.

Hopefully it will encourage manufacturers to try a few others, like Manning Wardles and Barclays for example.

Agreed, this is an engine that everyone would have space for. I am particularly impressed by the way Hornby have done the Salter safety valves, hopefully this will make it through to the production phase. In the meantime I have to wonder what the pre-order numbers are like and what the folks at Bachmann are thinking?

Cheers,

David