Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

Thanks SRman I may take you up on that. Strangely, Bertie dog, I have pulled the loco apart and there is no bind in the mechanism. The motor has an interesting clutch arrangement. You could say that this one is frustrating me no end. I received today a test decoder so I will give the loco a good run tomorrow and see if the chip heats up or the motor. Any how as SRman knows I am fairy tenacious and successful in getting things running again.

The only other loco which I remember selling out quite so rapidly as the Pecketts was the first of Bachmann's SECR C class, number 592. I really hope that the manufacturers take note that models of aesthetically pleasing locos sell like hot cakes, and I look forward to finally seeing (say) a Caledonian blue 812, or an NBR J36, SECR D or maybe a GER blue Claude Hamilton or J69. It just goes to show that the market for model steam trains is not in terminal decline, as some have forecast.

I would also add a plea to the manufacturers to consider making some matching stock. Some pre-grouping brake vans, and even a token couple of carriages like Triang did with the GWR clerestories and the Caley coaches. For example, it would be lovely to be able to run the forthcoming GNR Stirling Single with some GNR 6 wheelers.

Anyway, full marks to Hornby for the Pecketts.

• Like 2

If anyone still cannot get a Peckett from the first releases, Mankim Models of Colchester still has 2 H&P and 1 Dodo, checked 30 mins ago. Their telephone is 01206 574929 and they will do mail order (no website)

Thank you Rembrow. :) The Dodo has just gone (*whistles innocently*), but they have one H&P left.

The only other loco which I remember selling out quite so rapidly as the Pecketts was the first of Bachmann's SECR C class, number 592. I really hope that the manufacturers take note that models of aesthetically pleasing locos sell like hot cakes, and I look forward to finally seeing (say) a Caledonian blue 812, or an NBR J36, SECR D or maybe a GER blue Claude Hamilton or J69. It just goes to show that the market for model steam trains is not in terminal decline, as some have forecast.

I agree that prettiness sells, but I personally didn't preorder Dodo for that, it was because it's the base livery. (I'm frankly amazed to see posters coming out against a second run, TBH.) I'm not sure that I really like that green all that much!

Not that my choice matters anyway though, because it's looking increasingly likely that my preorder has been lost in the post. :unsure:

• RMweb Gold

I do find it totally unacceptable that Hornby have not kept enough spares back for dealer exchange or to cover for a smaller dealer's consignment going astray.

Hornby management and sales should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves if this is the case.

They are a business and what would the reaction be if Pecketts were sold out and it transpired Hornby were sitting on a load of them "just in case"? They'd be told to be ashamed of themselves for secretly hoarding them. Who needs the Holy Grail when there's a Peckett shortage?

It is a good thing Hornby have produced a model that a lot of people want, makes people happy (well most) and brings much needed cash into Hornby's and retailer's tills. It is extremely unfortunate that Les' shipment has gone astray but it is hardly a unique experience for anything sent by courier. Hopefully it will turn up in a day/week or two when they find it in the back of the depot. H

Has Les checked his wheelie bin/neighbours just in case? I had a shipment delivered whilst away over Xmas and specifically instructed it to go to a neighbour. Only when checking the update email did I find my "back door" had apparently signed for the parcel (no sniggering). Had to text the neighbour to retrieve it as it had been sat outside in the frost for a couple of days :O luckily it was just cheap Hornby track from Hawkins in a huge box!

Sad situation due to the sell out, let's hope they are found and not heading for Ebay. It does seem from a talk to Hornby today that more of the originals will be planned, the black version is already in the pipeline, but the originals are at the end of a very long production queue they say they have no control over. The spares situation is as usual patchy one, with what the Chinese supply and Hornby order, a balance they have yet to get right, as again if spares are needed, they drop to the bottom of the lists of orders in China.

This is what I do not fully understand. Who actually manufacturers these model now if it is not Hornby ? I assume that in times past Hornby did make their own models and they had full control. Why did they switch to the current system over which they have no control.....how is this an improvement ?

This is what I do not fully understand. Who actually manufacturers these model now if it is not Hornby ? I assume that in times past Hornby did make their own models and they had full control. Why did they switch to the current system over which they have no control.....how is this an improvement ?

Cheaper by far.

There are approximately three zillion RMweb threads on that subject.

• RMweb Gold

It's called not having any liability because someone else owns the expensive assets such as moulding machines. It's cheaper in the accounts as you have smaller yearly fixed costs as you don't have to pay the maintenance and for the factory housing them if there is no work for them. What really happens is the manufacturer passes on all those costs in a higher production price but the risk of an expensive asset sitting idle is removed for Hornby.

Many big companies follow this policy, even Apple contract out manufacturing of iphones.

Edited by PaulRhB

Shame about the massive loop coupling still though when next to the Peckett, a retooled chassis to fit a NEM pocket and the slim coupling would make it a very decent wagon thanks to the quality of printing.

I think mine will have the couplings hacked off and replaced :)

You know you can pop the body off the awful Hornby chassis and use a Cambrian Models Gloucester underframe under there, that would get you a very decent looking wagon - I did it with a 3 plank which shares the same chassis:

post-21854-0-74649200-1483621277_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

I gave mine a bit of a run on the rollers yesterday. It seems a little stiff for about 90 Degrees of each revolution. I'm assuming a good run in will free it up. It doesn't look like I'll be able to replace it.

Unless your very unlucky with a gear problem it will be slipshod assembly, if it persists beyond a few minutes then drop the bottom plate and check the state of the oil and grease etc., and if you can release the motor, then check the whole thing rolls along quite freely without any sort of drag or bind. If still a bind check the pickups, then the rods and crosshead, finally the wheel quartering.

It worth the checks even if there is no serious problem, and all curable without spares.

Only a broken or split gear will cause serious need to return to Hornby. Even then they are metric gears and available in brass, but complex to fit without a workshop.

The service sheet is on the net, but the motor is shown with a flywheel that they dropped in favour of space for DCC

Stephen

• RMweb Gold

Unless your very unlucky with a gear problem it will be slipshod assembly, if it persists beyond a few minutes then drop the bottom plate and check the state of the oil and grease etc., and if you can release the motor, then check the whole thing rolls along quite freely without any sort of drag or bind. If still a bind check the pickups, then the rods and crosshead, finally the wheel quartering.

It worth the checks even if there is no serious problem, and all curable without spares.

Only a broken or split gear will cause serious need to return to Hornby. Even then they are metric gears and available in brass, but complex to fit without a workshop.

The service sheet is on the net, but the motor is shown with a flywheel that they dropped in favour of space for DCC

Stephen

You don't need a workshop - just a very large hammer ;)

Mark Dickerson, on 05 Jan 2017 - 12:25, said:Mark Dickerson, on 05 Jan 2017 - 12:25, said:

I agree that prettiness sells, but I personally didn't preorder Dodo for that, it was because it's the base livery. (I'm frankly amazed to see posters coming out against a second run, TBH.) I'm not sure that I really like that green all that much!

Not that my choice matters anyway though, because it's looking increasingly likely that my preorder has been lost in the post. :unsure:

I for one would be against Hornby producing a second run of the current 3. Why? Because then in all likelihood there will turn out to be less demand than the bean counters expect and they'll quickly have to flog them off cheap to Hattons at below cost and then we'll all be complaining about have paid full price for them when now you can pick them up cheap! Far better to produce a new run of different liveries even if they are only very slightly different.

Mark - I don't know how long your preorder has been lost in the post, I had something turn up 3 weeks later after being assumed lost in the post! So don't give up all hope just yet...

Edited by NickC

You know you can pop the body off the awful Hornby chassis and use a Cambrian Models Gloucester underframe under there, that would get you a very decent looking wagon - I did it with a 3 plank which shares the same chassis:

attachicon.gifDSXT3987.jpg

That is exactly what I was going to suggest.

It looks like I'll be doing the same as a stop gap, since I'm as likely to find a Dodo as I am the Slaters kit. I thought I had some, but no 6 planks.

Jason

The real w/n 883 had an open-backed cab (it is shown as such in a photo by Aidan Fuller in the IRS Handbook G) but the picture on Hattons website appears to show the bulge in the cab backsheet for the brake handle, and a high-level lamp iron. So I guess they are doing it as an enclosed cab.

The dome looks right though and so this will be a third type of dome for these models.

Irwell Press have done a book called "The Railways and Locomotives of The Lilleshall Company". In it there are three photographs perporting to be of Their No.10, Peckett 883/1901:

One dated 1936 showing an open-back cab and original boiler with Salter safety valves.

One dated 27 May 1947 carrying a later boiler with the short dome as in the Hornby illustrations and a back to the cab.

One dated "probably in the early 1950s" with the later boiler and an open-back cab (and no AndyY tarpaulin visible btw).

So - no need to contemplate taking a saw to something which won't see the light of day for some time yet. You pays yer money and takes yer choise.

• RMweb Gold

Just collected my pre-ordered Peckett from Caistor Loco (they only arrived there this morning). If anybody wants one they did have two available a couple of hours ago including an H&P. Think the other is MSC.

Edited by highpeakman

• RMweb Premium

That is exactly what I was going to suggest.

It looks like I'll be doing the same as a stop gap, since I'm as likely to find a Dodo as I am the Slaters kit. I thought I had some, but no 6 planks.

Jason

I had been thinking along the same lines too, or perhaps just dealing with the break gear (and couplings) if one wanted to keep the round-bottomed axleboxes (for other builders than Gloucester).. Of course there at a wide range of alternative whitemetal axleboxes available e.g. MJT.

We really ought to have started a separate Huntley & Palmers wagon thread as picking the relevant posts out from all the discussion of the extinction of the dodo is getting to be next to impossible!

Irwell Press have done a book called "The Railways and Locomotives of The Lilleshall Company". In it there are three photographs perporting to be of Their No.10, Peckett 883/1901:

One dated 1936 showing an open-back cab and original boiler with Salter safety valves.

One dated 27 May 1947 carrying a later boiler with the short dome as in the Hornby illustrations and a back to the cab.

One dated "probably in the early 1950s" with the later boiler and an open-back cab (and no AndyY tarpaulin visible btw).

So - no need to contemplate taking a saw to something which won't see the light of day for some time yet. You pays yer money and takes yer choise.

Add to which at this stage in the game the catalogue illustration is more likely to be a product of cgi than an actual model.