Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, by the time I rang, they only had the Manchester Ship Canal one left :(

Dodo hunted to extinction...

Really the way this thread is going Hornby can't win - but let's remember that whatever the supply limitations of far eastern manufacture, without it we would never have seen this model at all.

• Like 1

I name this Ship Titanic,

Unsinkable ...then sinks

I name this model Dodo.

and then it goes extinct,

Said to be in houses,

but never in the wild,

A curious bird is the Dodo

A wayward young child.

post-6750-0-40497100-1483712080.jpg

In Memoriam of Dodo, both of them

They're so hard to come by I went out for a couple of pots of paint this afternoon and ended up adopting another unclaimed Peckett. It may just be a temporary foster situation though if Old Gringo decides he really wants it (as I told him the other night they hadn't got any more so a small pang of guilt overtook me).

• Like 2

They're so hard to come by I went out for a couple of pots of paint this afternoon and ended up adopting another unclaimed Peckett. It may just be a temporary foster situation though if Old Gringo decides he really wants it (as I told him the other night they hadn't got any more so a small pang of guilt overtook me).

I was in top trains this afternoon and theres a HP peckett in stock there

Olivias Trains seem to have more than one of each Peckett in stock - you'll pay a premium of course though. I'm sure there must be plenty out there in all the model shops with little or no presence on RMweb or the internet in general?

Edited just to say that there do seem to be Pecketts available on eBay that aren't being sold at a huge premium (and obviously some that are!)

Edited by leavesontheline

Two sold in the last hour (one to me)- got one to go with my chip at last.....  One left.

I also reserved Digitrains last one this afternoon when I rang them about a sound fitting they had attempted for me - they couldn't find a way into the Beattie Well Tank to get a sound chip in.  When I call in tomorrow to pick it up I'll see about getting this one sound fitted.  Neither is a DODO but they are both green.

There were a few interesting W4 names in County Durham (where No Place is situated).  Skinningrove Ironworks loaned out their W4 called RAKE to one of the county's collieries.  Dinsdale Ironworks had a trio called "DINSDALE NUMBER 1",  "DINSDALE NUMBER 2" and, rather surprisingly, "DINSDALE NUMBER 3". Tthese later went off to Gjers Mills on Teessdide and I haven't got their subsequent history.

East Hetton Colliery at Kelloe had one which by a remarkable coincidence was called KELLOE.  This one was scrapped in 1951.   The best name must be the one that the Lambton Hetton and Joicey Collieries acquired by takeover.  This one was called HAZARD.  It later lost its name and became No.36 in the main stock list and had its cab sides angled to go through the tunnel at Lambton Staithes, Sunderland. 

I'm toying with calling mine CHARLES NELSON, which was a W6 class owned by Pelaw Main Collieries, later NCB No.66 of Area 6.  This could conceivably have reached Beamish engine sheds as there was a connection between the Pelaw Main and Beamish railways.

If I manage to get my hands on a black one it may become HAZARD, though that name is crying out for Hornby to bring out themselves.

Les

This is really a fantastic model locomotive and unfortunately I'm saving my funds for the annual Springfield (Massachusetts) train show, so perhaps when the next batch comes in.  On the other hand I have to say that I'm quite happy that Hornby, given the problems faced these past several quarters, have started out the year with a smashing success.  Here's hoping that it continues!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's Hamilton Academicals all over again.

It'll all go Milford Haven, I just know it will.

Not Featherstone Rovers then?...

East Hetton Colliery at Kelloe had one which by a remarkable coincidence was called KELLOE.  

Peckett 560, Out of use at Nationalisation and slowly cannibalised the last bits going in April 1949 according to the colliery records and it's last driver. (No longer with us)

Probably looked substantially different to a standard Peckett having been rebuilt by Ridley Shaw on release from Brummer Mond in 1930.

This one was called HAZARD.  It later lost its name and became No.36 in the main stock list and had its cab sides angled to go through the tunnel at Lambton Staithes

Hazard being the local name for the colliery (partly because of it's reputation) it's owners being unable to convince the local populace to call it by its official North Hetton title. Interesting that C Mountford has it down as having an angled cab. I was told it had a scalloped cab similar to Lambtons H/L  No.33.

I've never seen a pic of No 36 but suppose that there must be a few about with it surviving until 1963.

Guess what name plates I'm ordering? 

P                 

• Like 1

I also reserved Digitrains last one this afternoon when I rang them about a sound fitting they had attempted for me - they couldn't find a way into the Beattie Well Tank to get a sound chip in.  When I call in tomorrow to pick it up I'll see about getting this one sound fitted.  Neither is a DODO but they are both green.

I got my Beattie Well Tank sound chipped by Wickness models, using a Zimo chip, if that's any help. They have a video on youtube of one.