Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

• RMweb Gold

After cleaning the kitchen floor to ensure that there was no dust around, I ran both my Pecketts in for an hour or so this afternoon:

post-57-0-72437200-1483642444.jpg

Interestingly, the H&P one was ever so slightly slower than 'Dodo', which caught the H&P one up after about half an hour of running. 'Dodo' is a really smooth runner, even before the running in, whereas there is just a slight hesitation in the H&P one, even after the running in.

Tight chassis?

• Like 5

Tight chassis?

I've always preferred a tight chassis.

So to put my serious head on for a mo. Did you try racing them in the opposite direction to observe which was the faster/slower? I've tested quite a few of these 12 volt Chinese(?) produced motors and  mismatches between supposedly identical motors is common.

There's also the possibility of differing stiction/friction/drag  the transmission mechanics.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

Picked up my second 'Dodo' from Trains4U this afternoon, and running in with my first purchase it seems they are a pretty close match for each other.

Just waiting for the replacement works plates and names from Narrow Planet, and then a little light weathering, and off we go!

• Like 1

Little issue with my MSC Peckett. The front wheels have quite abit of side play, this causes the front crankpin to catch the inside of the cross head.

Also the loco is very jerkey at medium speed, it's so smooth at dead slow and fast but when running at medium speed it behaves as if I am switching the current on and off.

Anybody had this issue so far?

Think I'll strip down and investigate

Luke

Edited by boody227

• RMweb Premium

After cleaning the kitchen floor to ensure that there was no dust around

Somebody's on to a good thing here - expect presents of small locomotives at appropriate intervals...

I see you taped the track to the floor - did the circle of track show signs of wandering around the floor as the engines ran round?

They are a business and what would the reaction be if Pecketts were sold out and it transpired Hornby were sitting on a load of them "just in case"? They'd be told to be ashamed of themselves for secretly hoarding them. Who needs the Holy Grail when there's a Peckett shortage?

It is a good thing Hornby have produced a model that a lot of people want, makes people happy (well most) and brings much needed cash into Hornby's and retailer's tills. It is extremely unfortunate that Les' shipment has gone astray but it is hardly a unique experience for anything sent by courier. Hopefully it will turn up in a day/week or two when they find it in the back of the depot. H

Has Les checked his wheelie bin/neighbours just in case? I had a shipment delivered whilst away over Xmas and specifically instructed it to go to a neighbour. Only when checking the update email did I find my "back door" had apparently signed for the parcel (no sniggering). Had to text the neighbour to retrieve it as it had been sat outside in the frost for a couple of days :O luckily it was just cheap Hornby track from Hawkins in a huge box!

Not ME that is missing a delivery, but Sherwood Models are missing a delivery of about fifteen.

As for "sitting on a load"- nothing AT ALL in the way of spares and warranty replacements isn't acceptable.  Additionally they have none of the bespoke decoders and have failed to tell a number of dealers that the decoder is a spares part number on a separate order.

I currently have a decoder but no Peckett to put it in.....

As to additional production- there seem to be a few model shops that didn't get any to start with (my nearest shop has had none and no invoice either) so objections aside Hornby would seem to have a moral imperative to order an extra short run of the existing numbers.

Les

I did get a delivery left on my doorstep this morning (we were in).  A "Signed for" Hermes from eBay.  I'll contact that seller and suggest he uses a different courier.

Edited by Les1952

Little issue with my MSC Peckett. The front wheels have quite abit of side play, this causes the front crankpin to catch the inside of the cross head.

Also the loco is very jerkey at medium speed, it's so smooth at dead slow and fast but when running at medium speed it behaves as if I am switching the current on and off.

Anybody had this issue so far?

Think I'll strip down and investigate

Luke

Pickups, check the tension, but look and see if there are tiny burrs on the wheels back, slightly tweek the tips to bear on polished area only, also release the screws a quarter turn that retain the pickups etc. They must be tight but seem over tight leading to binds.

As with all models if you re assemble with care it will be better than factory rushed work, check the back to back on the front wheels is 14.5 not more, A bit of teflon grease can work wonders on the gears.

Hornby have tried to be clever and use stubs to connect the pickups to the wiring, make sure these are clean and springing into contact. A tiny spot of electrolube oil will aid good contact.

Edited by bertiedog

• RMweb Gold

I've always preferred a tight chassis.

So to put my serious head on for a mo. Did you try racing them in the opposite direction to observe which was the faster/slower? I've tested quite a few of these 12 volt Chinese(?) produced motors and  mismatches between supposedly identical motors is common.

There's also the possibility of differing stiction/friction/drag  the transmission mechanics.

P

No, I didn't try anything at high speed, this was just a sedate running in, with both locos on the track at the same time to save paths. They'll probably never run together on the layouts, so the very slight speed differential isn't a problem.

I may end up converting the H&P one to P4 anyway, but 'Dodo' will remain in OO.

I'd like to give the H&P one a little more running in, to see if that loosens it up a bit more, although the whole conversion to P4 (however that gets done) might change the running characteristics, anyway.

Edited by Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

I see you taped the track to the floor - did the circle of track show signs of wandering around the floor as the engines ran round?

Yes, the circle of track has always been prone to wandering, and sometimes the rail joiners come undone, if left unsupervised for long periods of time, so two or three strategic bits of masking tape usually does the trick.

Yes, the circle of track has always been prone to wandering, and sometimes the rail joiners come undone, if left unsupervised for long periods of time, so two or three strategic bits of masking tape usually does the trick.

I often use a few generous blobs of strategically placed blu-tack for a similar purpose with temporary layouts!

It's a 4 pin "socket", so the Hornby X9659.

Alternatively, DCC Supplies sell the plugs separatly (here).  I've just ordered one so I can stick a lenz chip in it (I like the shunt function).  OK, it will require soldering 4 wires, but it is neater than taking the socket out and hard wiring it.

The arrival of the new Black version of the Peckett is scheduled for November 17 so a natural production progression from the first three, which obviously Hornby thought would last till then, but has been caught out with the popularity. The only way that extra ones could be brought in would be to sacrifice other orders to gain production time in the Chinese FE factories. The date of the Black one would suggest 2018 before more would be available, but I am sure Hornby are looking urgently into the matter before then.

It is sad so many shops have been left without stock, and customers left adrift, but this is the result of the way ALL companies work with Chinese production.

If true that customers have been told by Hornby that there are no replacements for faulty goods, then they are in a very bad situation, and must refund the purchases, as I am sure they will. But it leaves ordinary customers and the Model Shops without parts as well, unless Hornby have held back spare parts for distribution over the next few weeks.

A runaway success has turned a little sour, when Hornby need all the sales they can to survive.

Stephen

Would the presence of returned [and, it seems, refunded?]..Pecketts create the opportunity for stripping, and making available for sale, those spare parts not deemed faulty? [Don't Bachmann operate such a system, re-selling, at a discount, returned goods that are corrected?]