RMweb

Class 59 in 00

No Decorum

47 minutes ago, Marcoblanco said:

Your confusing me keep it simple!! 😂

A simple (and poor!) attempt at a joke: as I understand it, platelayers call the 'v' in a point a crossover, whereas railway modellers tend to refer to them as frogs.

I was once called in to my grandson's nursery class after he had regaled an upsetting story to his class regarding spending time with his grandpa and his model railway and dealing with live frogs and dead frogs. I didn't hear the explanation 'Miss' gave to the assembled children the following morning!

• Funny 1

6 hours ago, Steadfast said:

As posted yesterday 😉 it's OK, will let you off as it was the previous page 😄

In a 59/0 there are two switches for the white lights. One does the two markers, one does the headlights. 

Markers only is used in yards etc.

59204 6O12, 59002 7O35 Westbury

Both switches turned on gives you markers and headlight, used on running lines.

A long way back to Merehead

Whilst you may occasionally see a 59/0 with only one marker lit, categorically 100% this is because one bulb has failed.

Jo

Sunstroke Squire, just back from the Costas

• Funny 1

20 hours ago, richard w said:

The lighting is complex with several CVs needing to be set.  It's not accurate as far as I can tell having looked at real photos.  All 4 lamps at the front should be lit but the best the model can manage is 3.  The lower marker switches from one side to the other when toggling night mode.  You can switch both markers on but this turns off the centre headlights.

20221211_193721.jpg.564590641c2d8bc1a40a75a4a280a31d.jpg

20221211_194243.jpg.4ab3a8de7dab0aa561af01793a2b48a4.jpg

20221211_194318.jpg.311ba512d02e6c82dd8fd267ac711c31.jpg

20221211_194337.jpg.a407e609a56b8f33747628370c58793d.jpg

Some CV alterations might solve it but I wouldn't know where to begin.  The imperium decoder doesn't seem to have a published CV list.  The Dapol technical page on their website doesn't appear to work or have anything in it either.

Oh for goodness sake they've done a Hattons bugeye 66 on us!! Hopefully easily corrected. I've a 59/1 to arrive so hopefully this has the correct lighting.

• Agree 1

Hope these photos taken near Reading in 1987 may be of use regarding exhaust and bogie dampers originally fitted to the locos.

The loco(s) don’t appear to have been named and the number plates didn’t have blue backgrounds. Unfortunately I didn’t nab the numbers.
Yeoman Endeavour was at Didcot Railway Centre also 1987.

Yeoman Highlander, modified bogie dampers, original exhaust, Westbury 1991.

E9A626AC-381B-4C94-9D83-6649FB549EA1.jpeg

2A0913E9-E7BD-4774-9962-23EF4F376D9E.jpeg

95C33719-D027-4B5F-960E-3A4F44B3D578.jpeg

C944E72A-B86A-49EE-B092-F026EDF0A4FA.jpeg

• Like 4

On 11/12/2022 at 18:41, richard w said:

First job was to lower the exhaust, it's not glued and can be easily removed.  I cut it up and sanded a good amount of material away from the base before gluing the mounting brackets back together and refitting.

Thanks Richard. Did you take any pictures or video of the mod?

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Edna Clouds said:

as I understand it, platelayers call the 'v' in a point a crossover, whereas railway modellers tend to refer to them as frogs.

The pway call it the ‘crossing’, (a crossover is two complete points forming a crossover between two lines 😉)

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, WILLIAM said:

Thanks Richard. Did you take any pictures or video of the mod?

Here it is from the factory before I started.  Sits quite high, certainly noticeable if you're familiar with the class or looking at photos.  It's secured with 4 pins that are part of the mounting lugs.  Light pressure from behind the exhaust will allow it to pop free of the body.

20221211_132054.jpg.417aa49d2f6cd34c65bfd195e93f3757.jpg

Using a very sharp knife and a razor saw I cut it into the following pieces.

20221211_134258.jpg.085e1d1625510932fdc0f39f4be99627.jpg

The silencer needs quite a bit taking off the bottom.  I used 80 grit sandpaper and finished with 180 grit.  The manifold is about right but I felt it was a bit too high working from photos.  I sanded some material off it but not much.

Glued it back together and touched up the paint.  I'll be lightly weathering the loco in future so any further imperfections should disappear with that.

20221211_155212.jpg.0d89698ca6e5d87b1c581971dc6d48a1.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Marcoblanco said:

Chap on Facebook has a soundtraxx chip fitted and now his lights are working back to front ie red forward, headlights at reverse.. chip in wrong way or wiring fault? Anyone else encounter problems? Must be easy fix

This 2014 RWweb link appears to match a similar problem.  Don't know if it helps.

Dave

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Marcoblanco said:

Chap on Facebook has a soundtraxx chip fitted and now his lights are working back to front ie red forward, headlights at reverse.. chip in wrong way or wiring fault? Anyone else encounter problems? Must be easy fix

Aren't these 21 pin? - Is it possible to put a 21 pin chip in wrong way round?

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Aren't these 21 pin? - Is it possible to put a 21 pin chip in wrong way round?

They are quoted as 21 pin so assume so. I have, however, has a 21pin decoder with a hole for the missing pin meaning you could put it on upside down. Can't recall what make that was.

Roy

I'm not a 59 expert so unsure on the accuracies of the exhaust and radio pods on the 200s, but its a very nice model. No loose parts and everything seems in place. The finish is impeccable and gives a lovely satin sheen. Fitted with an imperium decoder and the lighting works as per the instructions. I don't have a hattons 66, but this is a big jump up from the Bachmann 66s I have.

Currently running in, but seems smooth so far. Have a nice rake of JHAs which have been waiting a few years for it later!

Edit: door fitting also seems very good on this model / version.

20221214_181931.jpg

20221214_181642.jpg

20221214_180727.jpg

Edited by Markn
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

Well here is my thoughts: 

https://youtu.be/NALMf5axhVU

I have to say love how easy the body come off! Overall very good value.

Its not as powerful as the Hattons 66 but as my video shows unless its under immense pressure it works well and easily and smoothly pulls a scale jumbo stone train. Therefore in every day use its excellent.

Edited by Rhysb
updated to answer other questions in the post
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, richard w said:

See my post on page 49

I had missed that - very thorough, and outcome perhaps unexpected - saying it has similar power to the H66 and turn of speed - Dapol must have a different motor supplier then!!

The ones in the 68's aren't, erm, the best.

I love the idea of 'features', including opening doors, so great.  I do agree many Hornby efforts are hit and miss, but Bachmann strangely do it perfectly - I've an EWS 'Tractor' I didn't even know had opening doors, until it partially slipped and my fingers pressed into the door openings!!

Perhaps a subtle little sanding here and there to chamfer them slightly may aid the fit, if necessary.

Looking forward to this one, and to comparing with my H66 'Patriot', which is superb (apart from the axle boxes ....).

I read somewhere else, but is it true that the H66 uses the same motor as the retooled Hornby 87?

Al.

Hi All,

Compliments of the season to you all.

I have yet to receive my Yeoman class 59 so can not comment from an ‘in the flesh’ perspective.

What do owners of the National Power & ARC variants think of the main body colours.

I (& am sure others), would be interested to hear.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Looks like the lighting on these is wrong as well as the 59/0s. Should only have one marker and one headlight lit. Wonder if this can be fiddled on the CVs to correct it?

59202 6C68 Horfield

Jo

I mentioned this to Rhys last night. The lighting is a little odd. I'm certain they can be mapped correctly though. I think possibly a more yellow LED would've been a better choice, especially for the marker lights which are pretty yellowish in real life.

Edited by Revolution Mike B
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4