RMweb

Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

• RMweb Premium

Can any of you that have been lucky enough to have received D5000 post some pictures of it, I'm still waiting for 24 081, but, would like to see some pictures of my next purchase from SLW, thanks.

Hi Brian

There are a few of my loco on Andy P's West Shed layout

has anyone any thoughts on the bogie air pipes?

having not got mine yet, they appear to be hanging off and not running true to the top of the frames on the loco pictured above, whereas on the photos of the real D5000 there fit nicely along the top of the bogie frame. i don't recall this being mentioned in the last 29 pages 

http://www.derbysulzers.com/5000.html

No decorum: "if all else fails, remember that long after the cost has been forgotten, the bruises have faded and the broken bones knitted, you'll still have this little gem."

Not if it was the impact of the 'little gem' 24 that caused the bruises...

Could be worse; at least in that scenario it wasn't (ahem) diverted via a route it was 'out of gauge for'...

Mine arrived this morning via Royal Mail - with prior email announcing delivery. Professionally parceled all the way down to the 'tin' they are contained in. Only prob I've got is that the website with the instruction manual wasn't available - TalkTalk was directing me to amongst other things a site about Type 2 diabetes!! However I will send off for a paper copy after Christmas.

Initial impression is of a superbly detailed model the like of which I haven't seen before. Sadly I've got to go out shopping now for all that food that isn't going to get eaten this next weekend. But look forward to getting my type 24's onto the track later and using the sound chips- hey they even contain detonators guys. Happy memories of travelling between Folkestone and Dover in the sixties (along Little Switzerland) in the fog behind Mr Bulleid's steamers with detonator accompaniment!

• Like 1

Mine arrived this morning via Royal Mail - with prior email announcing delivery. Professionally parceled all the way down to the 'tin' they are contained in. Only prob I've got is that the website with the instruction manual wasn't available - TalkTalk was directing me to amongst other things a site about Type 2 diabetes!! However I will send off for a paper copy after Christmas.

Initial impression is of a superbly detailed model the like of which I haven't seen before. Sadly I've got to go out shopping now for all that food that isn't going to get eaten this next weekend. But look forward to getting my type 24's onto the track later and using the sound chips- hey they even contain detonators guys. Happy memories of travelling between Folkestone and Dover in the sixties (along Little Switzerland) in the fog behind Mr Bulleid's steamers with detonator accompaniment!

Here's the link 

pdf.gif  SLW Class 24 F Key.pdf  

Edited by tractor_37260

That appears just to be the Function Allocation ...... hope the "Instruction Manual" contains more than this...

Keith

I expect it will turn up........I expect these guys are rushed off their feet trying to fulfill orders.......so I will try again after the holiday period

Received my Blue sound 24 today, [had ordered earlier ,but been away for a few days], impressed with the quality of the loco and the packaging  of both  the cardboard delivery box and the metal loco box plus the acrylic see through showcase, similar to some Continental locos, I  feel this model is excellent value for money especially comparing with some of the high ended Continental prices [although the weak euro has been a bonus].

The only negative I have is the 6 month guarantee against failing parts, similar European Manufacturers give a 2 year full guarantee against failed parts, plus certain German shops give an extra year guarantee on top.

• RMweb Gold

My model of 24081 also arrived this morning and I am more than happy at the price judging by the standard of detail only drawbacks personally for me are also the 6month warranty on parts failing and the white pipes around the bogies they seem a bit low down.

Other than that I'm looking forward to the next model if this is what's to be expected.

Also as its a 28function sound decoder its taking some getting use to as I'm currently using a Dynamis set up I'm going to have to upgrade my DCC setup in the future.

Cheers

Colin

• RMweb Gold

Not a gripe but a genuine question...

How can SLW have a 6 months warrantee when European Law/regulations/standards/whatever states that 2 years warrantee is the norm, (with exceptions, wear and tear, etc).

Kev.

• RMweb Gold

How can SLW have a 6 months warrantee when European Law/regulations/standards/whatever states that 2 years warrantee is the norm, (with exceptions, wear and tear, etc).

Kev.

The secret 2 year european warranty mentioned by the Daily Mail etc on slow news days was a directive which was not adopted in the uk because the existing 'sale of goods act' gave buyer far greater rights with protection for potentially up to 6 years.

The sale of goods act and distance selling regs have since been updated with the 'consumer rights act' introduced during October which has helped clarify certain rights. 

Kev.

Kev,

No warrantee can reduce the protection that the Law gives, so to that extent warrantees are worthless.

I never fill out 'guarantee forms' with any purchase, their sole useful purpose is to give the manufacturer your name, address, 'phone number(s) and email address which they can use for marketing purposes.

I rarely have cause for complaint with items I buy, but if I do, I return to the seller, explain politely what the problem is and ask how they intend to solve it. Most retailers know that the weight of the Law is with the consumer, but perhaps more importantly, that it takes time to build a good reputation and a few moments to loose it with poor customer care.

On the three occassions that retailers have tried to get out of their obligations, a letter detailing the case I would be putting before the Court has pursuaded them that they would like to settle the matter amicably after all. 

In this specific instance, I would suggest you look to see if RAIL EXCLUSIVE (as they are the retailer of this model) has a good or a bad reputation for quality of product and efficiency of customer care and base your judgement on what you find.

My own view is that with RAIL EXCLUSIVE you can trust both to be well in excess of anything written in any warrantee. There are examples of their 'beyond the call of duty' aftercare within the pages of this illustrious forum.

Remember, this business is not a faceless PLC. If you have a problem, you can speak directly with the man himself, so it's in his interests to sort it out for you as speedily as possible and without rancur.

Kind regards,

Paul

• Like 1

Hi Paul.

I think I am correct in saying I instigated the question of warranty, the integrity of SLW was not in question , but I am sure some purchasers would have seen the 6 month warranty and kept to the letter and may not complain [ not knowing their customer rights} , say a light started malfunctioning ,they may have  thought ,oh well it is only a light, lights being the one bugbear I have noticed on certain manufacturers equipment. So perhaps the guarantee could have reworded to give any unknowing customer their legal rights.

John