Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

An absolutley fantastic model of D5000 arrived in the mail the other day, all the way here in New Zealand (some very fast shipping indeed). Incredible looking model, and runs so smooth too! However, i was somewhat dissapointed to find that the kinematic coupling mechanism in the No.2 end sticks at each side, forcing the locomotive to occasionally derail on points.

Besides that though, its an absolutely stunning model, and has totally raised the bar for OO gauge RTR products, Well done!!!

• RMweb Gold

I had a chat with Phil Sutton at Warley.  He reminded me that SLW have a firm policy of not announcing anything until they actually have them available.  So just because there have been no announcements, in this case, doesn't mean that there isn't a container full of some fabulous new model on its way already.  So nobody should be disheartened by a lack of announcements from SLW. :sungum:

I had a chat with Phil Sutton at Warley.  He reminded me that SLW have a firm policy of not announcing anything until they actually have them available.  So just because there have been no announcements, in this case, doesn't mean that there isn't a container full of some fabulous new model on its way already.  So nobody should be disheartened by a lack of announcements from SLW. :sungum:

Fingers crossed, it's so frustrating hearing very little news from SLW :-(

• RMweb Gold

Fingers crossed, it's so frustrating hearing very little news from SLW :-(

Why? They have there chosen way of releasing models, I will buy more but will respect their way of doing business. What is more frustrating, waiting for news when they are ready or waiting for models years after the news? I would prefer the former.

Roy

Why? They have there chosen way of releasing models, I will buy more but will respect their way of doing business. What is more frustrating, waiting for news when they are ready or waiting for models years after the news? I would prefer the former.

Roy

Hi Roy,

I meant to say its so frustrating waiting for news of the next release :-)

I am hoping that it's going to be the next logical step, ie a headcode 24. Bachmann have been dragging their heels in quite spectacular fashion with this one and deserve to be gazumped.

A highland 24 with tablet catchers would see me part with a quite substantial wad.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I am hoping that it's going to be the next logical step, ie a headcode 24. Bachmann have been dragging their heels in quite spectacular fashion with this one and deserve to be gazumped.

A highland 24 with tablet catchers would see me part with a quite substantial wad.

I imagine Bachmann are just waiting for SLW to cover the 24 with a headcode box to have an excuse to drop it. Whilst the SLW was quite a bit more, given recent price rises I imagine the differential will have eroded somewhat. That said, I am expecting the next SLW locos to cost more than the first two batches.

Roy

• RMweb Premium

And there you are on dangerous ground,I'm sorry to warn you.Advise you to let the matter drop pdq.

Yes, I'd like to know why that comment has been made.

I've bought a couple of 24s and had some lengthy discussions with Phil about the loco - and what might be coming next. Of course, he's not prepared to commit hard information on future projects.

So JSpencer is entitled to a bit of conjecture - unless you know something the rest of us don't.

Care to explain your remark?

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Yes, I'd like to know why that comment has been made.

I've bought a couple of 24s and had some lengthy discussions with Phil about the loco - and what might be coming next. Of course, he's not prepared to commit hard information on future projects.

So JSpencer is entitled to a bit of conjecture - unless you know something the rest of us don't.

Care to explain your remark?

Jeff

Indeed, Jeff.

I'd like someone to make the definitive 00 Class 50 to SLW standard.

Is this dangerous ground aswell? :mosking: 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Indeed, Jeff.

I'd like someone to make the definitive 00 Class 50 to SLW standard.

Is this dangerous ground aswell? :mosking:

Cheers Gary.

I may as well join the people "on dangerous ground".....

Please, Phil - can I have a definitive class 25 or Peaks?

Looks like the dangerous ground might start to get a bit overcrowded!!  :jester:  :jester:

Jeff

I don't really care if SLW release a couple more class 24's to be honest I absolutely love these models, I have all six that has been produced to date and all sound fitted, just itching to hear of the next release, so, come on Phil put myself and the rest of SLW enthusiasts out of our misery with some news please :-)

And there you are on dangerous ground,I'm sorry to warn you.Advise you to let the matter drop pdq.

Why ? He's hardly likely to get blood on his own hands. And who are you to be warning anyone ?

27 please, or a non-self-combusting 17, I don't mind which.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Well done lads!

The "dangerous ground" is filling-up nicely and we're still none the wiser as to why it's dangerous!

Martin - class 40 = good call. I'll add that to my list.

If Phil's looking-in on this thread then I hope he's rubbing his hands with glee. What a market he has for his fantastic product.

Just goes to show that if the product is right, the discerning enthusiasts will pay good money for it.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Well as I bought a discounted 24 081 on the basis of a preordered class 33 double pack, I'd be more than happy if Phil were to do this.

Realistically though, as the SLW class 24 chassis already has cut outs for 25/2 engineroom windows, I'd wager a large bottle of malt they will be coming, so I can retire my Bachmann fleet.

24 081 and a sound chipped 24 063 are the flagships of my diesel fleet.

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 2

Think the dangerous ground referred to is the issues had with a manufacturer who the 33 was going to be produced with.

Anyway, we have a 24 which is by far the best RTR diesel you can get and I think it clear that we all want more (97201 please!).

As for future models, logic would say a 25.

However whatever comes next, it will be a winner if it is as good as the 24.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Why?

Some of you might remember that Phil Sutton had an issue with Heljan which developed in rather an unpleasant manner when they announced the release of their revised Class 33 a few years back. We were asked to take care in commenting on the matter which was eventually settled.That is why.