Please, Please, Please

• RMweb Gold

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, I would assume that RM Web would have suitably qualified personnel capable of carry out this simple alteration

Just publish the changes required here and Andy will get them implemented.

may be where the issue lies, a simple edit to that span class in the Add ons CSS should fix it.

I can assure you it isn't. The css only says what it will look like, not what it is calling. If Invision, the developer and indeed other forums which dig deeper into Invision products can't offer a solution then it's not an easy fix.

What a wind up.

Perhaps we should use the Hebrew calendar? Apparently today is 19th of Adar I, 5776. Or even the Chinese calendar where it is Geng-Yin(Tiger) (1st month), 22, 4714.

Perhaps it is worth noting that England, Ireland and the British Colonies did not adopt the Gregorian calendar until 1752 despite it being proclaimed in 1582 and adopted then by Venice. Even the Protestant states of the Holy Roman Empire had adopted it in 1700.

One wonders if the people complaining about date order would have complained about 11 days of their lives being taken away with the adoption of the common calendar.

Interestingly there is no consensus on why the most common US usage is in effect. I suspect that it - like many Americanisms - is either a Colonial hangover that America's former lords and masters have long since forgotten they did it that way too, or an early 19th century deliberate change to demonstrate their independence of their former lords and masters.

One wonders if the people complaining about date order would have complained about 11 days of their lives being taken away with the adoption of the common calendar.

Jeez! Could you imagine Facebook if someone did that now? :)

Dear OP

In the 7 years I have been a member of this free website, I have learnt a very great deal, made a substantial number of virtual friends, met and enjoyed the company of more than a handful of them, learnt a very great deal, had a great time, learnt a very great deal, been the recipient of outstanding - nay implausible - amounts of warmth in bereavement, and generally enjoyed myself.

And I couldn't give a rat's arse about the date format.

Edit : Oh, by the way, the link in your signature doesn't seem to work. I am therefore denied the privilege of seeing Graham's Wonderful Railway. Life sucks.

It's actually an intelligence test which you have obviously failed.

If an American asked you to meet him in an English restaurant at 9:00am on 3/5/2016 when would you turn up? 

I rest my case

• RMweb Gold

As an American stated the date, 5th of March.

And your website link doesn't work for me either, it returns 'Webpage not available'.

As a professional software tester I'd mark that as a fail and pass it back to the developers, who must surely be able to fix it.

I've worked with Americans, European and other nations across different time zones. If someone ever states a date and time per the example above, I've usually found it helpful to reply with a non confrontational email to confirm the salient facts (including time zone).

For what is a leisure website, I really don't see what the fuss here is about.

If an American asked you to meet him in an English restaurant at 9:00am on 3/5/2016 when would you turn up? 

I rest my case

Mr Walters, you are in a hole, I urge you to stop digging. You have been rude to the man who started this forum and now one of its most respected members.

FWIW I also failed your "intelligence test" and couldn't get the link to work.

Ed

• RMweb Premium

Graham,

Rather than worrying about date format,

perhaps you should be concentrating on counting days.

Carry on with that attitude and your days on RMweb could be numbered.

I have passed your 'intelligence test' which is little more than compensating for sloppiness; I would be quite wary of any advice you may be about to give on coding on that basis.

I was expecting a world of glory to be made available to me having dodged the gatekeeper's exacting tasks. Sometime's the journey's more fun than the destination, "When we've finised leaning on these shovels we'll carry on building this blog".

In the true RMweb tradition of Hitch-Hikers' guide providing the answer for everything - see below for time :O

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so" - Douglas Adams

The real nature of time is a deep question that is not well understood by human beings, whether they are philosophers or scientists.

Time seems to go faster when you are doing something you like, eg having lunch, than when you are doing something you don't like, eg working.

Linking these two ideas, one important and one rather trivial, is intended by the writer to be humorous. Many people find the books by Douglas Adams very funny

Actually, the M/D/Y format is not universal in the US. The US State Department and the US military both use D/M/Y.

That explains a lot! :D

I have passed your 'intelligence test' which is little more than compensating for sloppiness; I would be quite wary of any advice you may be about to give on coding on that basis.

Aw! go on Andy let us mere mortals in on the secret ;) Give us all a good laugh.

Archived