Please, Please, Please

There's a typo in the url of the link.

Try this one: http://grahamswonderfulrailway.com/

Thanks, I see what Andy means - 6 lines of code and errors on almost all of them, no DOCTYPE either! Fails html validation and CSS validation on basics. What is going to be like once finished?

Sure the IPB code is a mish mash of errors and not great for a commercial set of code. (but heh! look at Microsoft!) At least is does have 99% functionality, otherwise we wouldn't be able to post any comments.

Change the flippin calendar format we are not Americans, this I thought was a British website.

03/05/2016 is the 3rd May not as your Calendar format states the 5th of March!

If I turned up at an exhibition venue on 3rd May to discover it was actually on 5th March, I'd be rather irritated!

• RMweb Gold

The date's format causing confusion is not all bad.

I've had a few Hotels put birthday cakes in my room twice in one year because they got the MMDD mixed up with DDMM.

(It only works if your born in the first twelve days of any month though.)

:)   :)

Kev.

• RMweb Gold

It's actually an intelligence test which you have obviously failed.

If an American asked you to meet him in an English restaurant at 9:00am on 3/5/2016 when would you turn up? 

I rest my case

Probably about ten to nine. Not sure if that is 08:50hrs  or 50:08hrs  

However as both of those dates are Thursdays I would not bother going at all unless the said American was a lot more polite and helpful than your posts have been in which case I would ask said American to clarify whether he meant 3rd May or 5th March.

I have passed your 'intelligence test' which is little more than compensating for sloppiness; I would be quite wary of any advice you may be about to give on coding on that basis.

I was expecting a world of glory to be made available to me having dodged the gatekeeper's exacting tasks. Sometime's the journey's more fun than the destination, "When we've finised leaning on these shovels we'll carry on building this blog".

We all make spolling mistooks... as is proven by your magazine on monthly basis

• RMweb Gold

But to pretend that the mistake was an intelligence test is the sign of a weak man who won't admit his errors. I had an old school teacher like that once - no one ever believed his "little tests" were anything more than his "little mistakes"

Thanks, I see what Andy means - 6 lines of code and errors on almost all of them, no DOCTYPE either! Fails html validation and CSS validation on basics. What is going to be like once finished?

Sure the IPB code is a mish mash of errors and not great for a commercial set of code. (but heh! look at Microsoft!) At least is does have 99% functionality, otherwise we wouldn't be able to post any comments.

It's a custom add on, and us such is non-editable :O

Besides the site is actually Wordpress and does not conform to WC3 neither does this site for that matter, or millions of other sites on the net

• RMweb Gold

Slightly related to topic. I use the UK date system where 03/05/16 is 3rd May 2016. However I use the Japanese system when naming files on the computer. This way they appear in date order in my directories. eg Letter 151225, Letter 160114 ,Letter 160229 etc

Slightly related to topic. I use the UK date system where 03/05/16 is 3rd May 2016. However I use the Japanese system when naming files on the computer. This way they appear in date order in my directories. eg Letter 151225, Letter 160114 ,Letter 160229 etc

So you weren't using computers before 2000 then! The memory of having to change software and rename files as 31/12/99 approached still lingers. I use YYYY-MM-DD for my files and directories, so that 1999 gets sorted before 2001, rather than after. My photos, that are in directories by date, wouldn't be in the right order otherwise.

• RMweb Gold

[Rant mode]

Oi !

I've just noticed that in my profile details it has my date of birth in mmm dd yyyy format.

Despite being born on the 4th of July, I am not a colonist ( actually, that's not strictly true as I have invaded Cornwall) , so despite the date being clear and unambiguous please get it sorted so it shows in the correct format of dd mmm yyyy.

[/rant mode]

PS - last time I checked my links still worked, please feel free to order a building or two. Thank you.

• RMweb Premium

This thread has reminded me - why isn't it possible with the forum software to block somebody easily by some kind of button that can be clicked on their profile popup? It seems (and correct me if I am wrong) that you have to go into your own profile, find the block user page, and then find the person you want to block by typing in their name. All very long winded, and prone to error...

• RMweb Gold

This thread has reminded me - why isn't it possible with the forum software to block somebody easily by some kind of button that can be clicked on their profile popup? It seems (and correct me if I am wrong) that you have to go into your own profile, find the block user page, and then find the person you want to block by typing in their name. All very long winded, and prone to error...

But think how much fun you'd miss if you did that....

What exactly is your problem???

You're coming across as a complete tw*t. Insert vowel of choice.

I'd like to buy a vowel please. ................ A

Ian, the tw*t filter is simple to do. Click your name at the top right of the page. Then "manage ignore prefs" from there just type/paste in the name of the tw*t you wish to filter out. (ask me how I know) Admittedly less satisfaction than clicking a button on the offending user's profile that makes him vanish.

• RMweb Gold

So you weren't using computers before 2000 then! The memory of having to change software and rename files as 31/12/99 approached still lingers. I use YYYY-MM-DD for my files and directories, so that 1999 gets sorted before 2001, rather than after. My photos, that are in directories by date, wouldn't be in the right order otherwise.

I have been using computers since 1986 and had no Y2k problems. That was a big scam by the IT industry make money.

• RMweb Gold

I have been using computers since 1986 and had no Y2k problems. That was a big scam by the IT industry make money.

There were no problems because 1000's of IT staff spent 10,000's of hours changing the out of date code to be Y2K compliant. It would have been chaos, seriously it would. (I've been programming since 1980)

For the same reason I changed from 2 numbers for the year to four in 2000, But I'm going to have a problem with the photos I take in 2065 :jester:

Incidentally, having done an international job I think this discussion is important, having to double check any dates given which were in the first 12 days of any month was a time waster.

Paul

PS although incomplete profiles annoy me - I like to know what part of the world people are in - I do think the question about date of birth should be removed or altered to simply "age" as DoB remains one of those password checks too easily stolen.

• RMweb Premium

I made no changes to computer hardware or software and passed seamlessly from 1999 to 2000. As anticipated the IT industry have claimed the credit for solving the "problem" . And I can never prove there was no problem to begin with.

Hi

Then I don't know what I was doing during 1998/99 then as I ended up changing hundreds of lines of code for the company I work for converting two digit years to four digit years. Did I dream it all?

Cheers

Paul

Hi

Then I don't know what I was doing during 1998/99 then as I ended up changing hundreds of lines of code for the company I work for converting two digit years to four digit years. Did I dream it all?

Cheers

Paul

Same with me. Since nothing happened because literal swarms of people worked to correct the shortcoming, those outside the industry see it as the great y2k hoax. People seldom realise the sheer number of legacy systems still being used in large and even small companies. My current client alone internally supports over 3000 individual applications, platforms, and systems. That is just one business. Many of those have been running since the 80s and even earlier on mainframes.

• RMweb Gold

Same with me. Since nothing happened because literal swarms of people worked to correct the shortcoming, those outside the industry see it as the great y2k hoax. People seldom realise the sheer number of legacy systems still being used in large and even small companies. My current client alone internally supports over 3000 individual applications, platforms, and systems. That is just one business. Many of those have been running since the 80s and even earlier on mainframes.

Indeed - I replaced 26 systems with Sun based architecture in 1999. As our system used the Pick database we'd already had our y2k which was May 18th 1995.

Archived