Please, Please, Please

• RMweb Premium

Why doesn't Mod4 change his name to Mod42 ?

It would answer all the problems.

Because the OP would probably come back and tell us the numbers are in the wrong order!

I still like the Little Chef Olympic, but they are getting much harder to find. Swap baked beans for fried bread please.

Ed

As Mike says though, the pot of tea is essential.

The much maligned Little Chef! Considering where they are usually located, very handy when driving and getting hungry! The US is slipping when it comes to an equivalent as most have the same menu they had fifty years ago although 'Country Fries' as mentioned already are superior to hash browns.

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Meanwhile........., Andy, have you fixed the dates yet ?

I saw a documentary years ago where they showed how the stones were removed from dates. Teeth were involved.

Perhaps they actually did mean 4 runs for 237 batsmen out.

Reminds me of the the time I was asked the cricket score "2 for 4" dont You mean 4 for 2? no England were trying to play against India and failing - badly  

• RMweb Gold

Apart from being apalled by the attitude of the OP I am fascinated by the sub discussion about Y2k. The best the IT industry could claim is that it prevented an impending disaster entirely of its own making. It was entirely predictable that 2000 would follow 1999 from considerably earlier than the invention of the first pooter. Ergo they were only putting right their own earlier errors if it was necessary to change code to prevent IT armageddon.

I think UK Hash Browns are different from US ones - kind of patty like? Yuck.

Yes hash browns can be unpredictable.

Properly I would say they are a pile of grated strands of potato, flattened a bit but not compressed too much with a spatula, and cooked on an oiled, flat-top griddle until crispy and brown on the top and bottom. The test here is whether they are properly cooked through in the middle. If cooked through then they are quite good.

Alternatively of course they can be cubed potatoes often cooked in a cast iron skillet with onions and peppers, sometimes called skillet potatoes.

Those toaster / oven hash brown patties 'inspired' by the McDonald's breakfast menu are something quite different.

None of which should be confused with corned beef hash* which has more in common with 'skillet potatoes' than hash browns.  It can be very good, or not.

* other proteins are available.

The best the IT industry could claim is that it prevented an impending disaster entirely of its own making. It was entirely predictable that 2000 would follow 1999 from considerably earlier than the invention of the first pooter. Ergo they were only putting right their own earlier errors if it was necessary to change code to prevent IT armageddon.

It all stemmed from 80 character punch cards. Blame IBM.

Each column was precious. When punch cards were invented*, the 21st century was decades away and the 19th century was irrelevant. Ditching the "19" gave programmers two extra columns to work with.

* EDIT: I should say widely deployed in electronic computers.

It all stemmed from 80 character punch cards. Blame IBM.

Each column was precious. When punch cards were invented, the 21st century was decades away and the 19th century was irrelevant. Ditching the "19" gave programmers two extra columns to work with.

Note only punch card columns, but also memory.

There is a story from the early days of commercial computing where a US company had computerised a business process in one office and wanted to roll it out to other offices. Doing the job properly, they tested it first in a single new office - and it failed disastrously. Debugging it, they found the problem in part of the process which arranged a list into two side-by-side columns. Not wanting to waste memory by storing a '2' to use in the calculation, the programmer had used a '2' already stored - in the zipcode of the address of the office where the program had been developed. Change the office, change the address, change the zipcode ...

But why wait until 1999 to fix that????  Answer so they could screw consultancy money out of the gullible. 

Alternative answer - because those in control of budgets wouldn't release money to do it until it was staring them in the face!

The organisation I worked for had standards in place to use 4-digit dates in new code for for several years before the millenium. And we had some predictive processes, using older programs, which started to throw up problems in 1997. So we knew things would need to be done and started to provide ballpark estimates about that time. Frankly, they weren't believed. Turned out to be pretty accurate.

Reminds me of the the time I was asked the cricket score "2 for 4" dont You mean 4 for 2? no England were trying to play against India and failing - badly  

I always used to think that the Australian way round was wrong until a friend said to me "What is the first thing that what want to know when you hear your teams score? - Its the number of wickets that you have lost". With this new perspective on it, I became a convert.

And US breakfasts - one cannot beat a good steak, eggs and home fries. Almost comes close to a decent full English

This thread has reminded me - why isn't it possible with the forum software to block somebody easily by some kind of button that can be clicked on their profile popup? It seems (and correct me if I am wrong) that you have to go into your own profile, find the block user page, and then find the person you want to block by typing in their name. All very long winded, and prone to error...

But, oh so very worth it at times :)

• RMweb Premium

But why wait until 1999 to fix that????  Answer so they could screw consultancy money out of the gullible.  :mail:

Retreats with coat and hat on.   :jester:

Hi

They expected the systems would be replaced before the year 2000 but that wasn't the case for many reasons. We didn't get rid of ours completely until 2003.

Cheers

Paul

Archived