Please, Please, Please

But this isn't about model railroads, it's about railways instead! ;)

hat, coat, where me straight-jacket gone to?

:jester:

The USA/Canadian Section is about Railroads :P which was a very early English description originally, as well. :yes:

I'm just amazed this Thread isn't locked, ... yet...!! ;)

I would have tried to correct my post by saying " a restaurant that serves dates for breakfast" but I shan't go there either! :O

I'm just concerned that the restaurant serves the dates at the correct point. Over this side of the pond, you get the dates with your cereal, in the States they are fried sunny side down whereas in the Middle East, the date is preserved in brine and served on a silver platter at the end of the meal

Once again RMweb proves that good humour and random silliness (pork) will out over the gormless and miserable whingers.

Now I'm off to Milliways for breakfast. May hit the Big Bang Burger Bar for lunch, then Slim's Throat Emporium for a couple of Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters after working with the Vogons all day.

• RMweb Gold

If the forum dates are in the wrong format ( depending on your view point or geographical location and preference for dates and what time dates should be served during the meal and what time of day that meal should be) and this seems to be caused by not enough / too many references to the collected works of Douglas Adams, perhaps we should be looking to Mod4 for some kind of resolution ?

Can I recommend the Beef Eater steak house for breakfast? We have one next to the hospital and it is a treat to go there after a starving blood test.  Full English (as much as you want) plus a buffet.

Ed

Can I recommend the Beef Eater steak house for breakfast? We have one next to the hospital and it is a treat to go there after a starving blood test.  Full English (as much as you want) plus a buffet.

Ed

Mmm, sounds good.

When in the UK stayin with the in-laws in Parkstone me and the missus always make a point of eating a breakfast at Crumbles Café. Slight greasy spoon type vibe and proper fried toast with the Full English!! Oh Yeah!

Years ago I used to work at the old Devere The Dormy Hotel in Ferndown (I'm a chef BTW) and we used to put on an awesome breakfast buffet with all the good stuff -Hash browns, grilled mushrooms, 3 different types of eggs, thick Bacon, etc. Never could come at kippers or grilled black pudding tho.

Acronyms are fun as well. Maybe the OP should change the blog name in his signature to The West Area Transit.   :sungum:

Don't worry, be happy and definitely don't take things like the bloody date format too seriously. Wake up and smell the crispy bacon sometime.

I do believe that the hash brown has its origins in the US of A, but it has made a significant contribution to the Full English. Don't forget the delights of Bubble and Squeak though.

Ed

I definitely agree, however how could we not have mentioned/forgotten baked beans tho, mmm.

• RMweb Premium

I shall have two breakfasts today: some dried apricots on my muesli (I don't have dates in the house); and a breakfast number 3 at the Cherry Tree in Heybridge. The breakfast number 3 provides balanced portions of sausage, bacon, beans, mushrooms, tomato and toast, with an option to add black pudding. I can try asking but I'm sure they don't do dates either.

I don't mean this as a plug for the Cherry Tree (though you can hardly go wrong with five set menus and options); other breakfasts are available elsewhere.

- Richard.

I shall have two breakfasts today: some dried apricots on my muesli (I don't have dates in the house); and a breakfast number 3 at the Cherry Tree in Heybridge. The breakfast number 3 provides balanced portions of sausage, bacon, beans, mushrooms, tomato and toast, with an option to add black pudding. I can try asking but I'm sure they don't do dates either.

Would a fried potato scone be out of the question?

• RMweb Premium

This is going to be the first RM Web topic to give me indigestion, but I'm sure a potato scone is possible.

Hope this helps :-)

- Richard.

• RMweb Gold

I don't mean this as a plug for the Cherry Tree (though you can hardly go wrong with five set menus and options); other breakfasts are available elsewhere.

- Richard.

post-7025-0-50196100-1456822298.jpg

For me the best 4 breakfasts on the planet are as follows in no particular order.  

1: Wetherspoon's Big full English. (2 bacon, 2 eggs, 2 sausage, 3 hash brown nigys, mushroom, baked beans, toast, and grilled tomato.

2: Humpty's (Canadian chain) Cowboy breakfast. (2 back bacon, 2 massive sausages, 2 eggs, grilled ham slice, Canadian style hashbrowns (more like mini roasties with sautéed onion and green pepper), toast, 2 hubcap sized pancakes, and a bucket of maple syrup.

3: Perkins (American chain) Steak & eggs. grilled steak (rare), 2 eggs, hashbrowns that are more like potato rosti, tomato, toast.

4: Duke's Brew & Cue (London) Chicken fried steak. Steak, chicken gravy, grilled spuds, toast, and a pint (or 3) of Beavertown's Neck Oil IPA. Ok, ok, technically this is a brunch but still bloody good.

• RMweb Gold

I do believe that the hash brown has its origins in the US of A, but it has made a significant contribution to the Full English. Don't forget the delights of Bubble and Squeak though.

Ed

Appalling things - when one could have the likes of fried bread (or even toast), fried spuds (not chips but sliced and fried), black pudding, fried or scrambled egg, decent bacon, maybe a good sausage (not the rubbish one Wetherspoons serve), grilled tomato, mushrooms (not something everyone likes of course, and possibly baked beans, who on earth would want one of those weird, tasteless hash brown things?  And a full English only qualifies if it comes with a decent pot of tea.

All of which has nothing to do with the Op - but that was far less interesting than the thought of a good proper job breakfast  (I got several very passable ones out in Aus when I was over there  - the scrambled egg on this one didn't look much but tasted ok and it was nice sitting and watching the beach while eating it.

post-6859-0-09949100-1456826820_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-44286400-1456826831_thumb.jpg

To make spelling mistakes is unfortunate, to repeatedly make grammatical errors is careless.

Oh, and Andy, once you've sorted out this date business, would you mind turning your hand to the Australians who will insist that 4/237 is the correct way to give a cricket score.

Perhaps they actually did mean 4 runs for 237 batsmen out.

I think UK Hash Browns are different from US ones - kind of patty like? Yuck.

Mind you in the interest of fairness I don’t like either.

I once had breakfast in a Caff off Baker Street with my Wife (who wasn’t at the time) and appalled her by eating Sausage and Chips. Abbey Road made really good breakfasts - in fact when I literally lived next door I ate all my meals there because it was open 24 hours (nearly).

Best, Pete.

Appalling things - when one could have the likes of fried bread (or even toast), fried spuds (not chips but sliced and fried), black pudding, fried or scrambled egg, decent bacon, maybe a good sausage (not the rubbish one Wetherspoons serve), grilled tomato, mushrooms (not something everyone likes of course, and possibly baked beans, who on earth would want one of those weird, tasteless hash brown things?  And a full English only qualifies if it comes with a decent pot of tea.

All of which has nothing to do with the Op - but that was far less interesting than the thought of a good proper job breakfast  (I got several very passable ones out in Aus when I was over there  - the scrambled egg on this one didn't look much but tasted ok and it was nice sitting and watching the beach while eating it.

attachicon.gifBreakfast in Mosman.jpg

attachicon.gifThe beach over the road.jpg

Is that sourdough toast? Looks bloody good.

Lovely spot Mosman

Regards Glenn

• RMweb Gold

Is that sourdough toast? Looks bloody good.

Lovely spot Mosman

Regards Glenn

Yes Glenn - it was, and it was, and it was quite a pleasant place to live for a few weeks when I was working in Sydney.

On a completely different track, but the same theme, if anyone is heading towards either the GWS at Didcot, or Pendon and driving via Wallingford an excellent all-day breakfast may be had at the Root One Garden centre (but don't go for the biggest of their English breakfasts unless you are really starving and haven't eaten for a  couple of days)

http://root-one.co.uk/news-5/

perhaps we should be looking to Mod4 for some kind of resolution ?

I could but you wouldn't like it... Besides I think you will find that the resolution is at the other end of the universe...

Archived