Bachmann 2016 Announcements

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

There is actually quite a lot of detail on this wagon, particularly on the underframe.

Having recently disassembled (and reassembled) a MBA, there certainly isn't £50 worth. Glad I bought my rake off ebay over the past few months for about £17-£20 per wagon.

I do however, have some Sealions/Seacows to sell...............

Thank you Bachmann, you may have just increased their value..

Cheers,

Mick

A "simple box" they are not. The Sea Cow and Sealion wagons have never been at the cheap end of the scale and the detail you get plus the overall quality is reflected in the price. Had we been discussing £50 16t mineral wagons then the "simple box" description might be more apt.

Hi Gwiwer

Rob D2's comment was about the MBA, not the Seacow / Lion, which as he says is a box.

Cheers

Marcus

£50, for a simple box EWS MBA.

I hope their policy of high prices works for them. I'll have to be well selective from now on

Well it doesn't appear to be working with my local retailer. He has now stopped stocking Bachmann wagons due to them sitting gathering dust on the shelves. He says he never used to have any trouble until Bachmann went mad with their pricing on their last major leap. He will now only order at a customers request if he knows he will actually sell them.

• RMweb Premium

Well it doesn't appear to be working with my local retailer. He has now stopped stocking Bachmann wagons due to them sitting gathering dust on the shelves. He says he never used to have any trouble until Bachmann went mad with their pricing on their last major leap. He will now only order at a customers request if he knows he will actually sell them.

I'm not surprised. Even the coaching prices are astronomical. I was considering joining the collectors club when i heard about the WCRC coaches, but at £135 for 2 I think I'll pass. Even Hornbys K-Type Pullmans only retail at £50, and they are virtually a brand new tooling.

That's a shame.

Thing is - stuff like the forthcoming EWS inspection saloon I'd have brought on a whim to tow about by one of the 37s, but now my first thought is " do I really need it ".

With rails flogging the RFD 47 at £59.50, these coaches don't look great value.

It's a bit depressing as I really love Bachmann products , although the QC is a bit sketchy at present

God the prices are starting to get ridiculous.

And i believe we have another price rise coming up, as i was told Bachmann have change their to  financial  year ending to December. 

Well I've got nine RMC hoppers on order which will not see much change from 350 notes with the 15% discount applied. Unfortunately a Peak Forest based layout really needs these. Unless Bachmann make anything else specific to the area very little money will be coming there way in future. 

Thank god Dapol did the excellent HIA's and Oxfords doing the ICI hoppers.

And i believe we have another price rise coming up, as i was told Bachmann have change their to  financial  year ending to December. 

I believe the Kader Holdings financial year is the same as a calendar year and has been for some time. Are you talking specifically about Bachmann Europe Plc?

Prices are beginning to be ridiculous and for a lot of us unjustifiable.   I used to buy things every month, but as prices become ever higher the amount I buy gets less and less.  I become far more discerning about what I buy.  I model 1970's north west/north wales but would in happier, cheaper days,  happily buy anything that fits that era even if the real thing never or rarely would have made it to my region. So I was happy to buy a western and a class 85 and an apt-e even though my layout is LMR non electrified, and I bought evening star and mallard just in case I had a steam special to run (albeit with just 4 coaches!)  However this was at what i considered to be affordable prices.  There's no way I can justify paying the kind of price that Bachmann are now charging unless I think the model is near perfect or if it exactly fits my era/area.  It's a great shame.  I won't buy anywhere near as much stuff and I'm sure many others will be in the same boat.  No doubt lower sales will result in higher prices.  And the future of the hobby?  Why and how would kids get into model railways now.  When I was a boy, sadly a long time ago,  I would buy wagons with my pocket money.  Can kids today do that at these prices or is it better just to buy a new mobile/tablet/xbox game, more affordable and much more cool that playing with saddo train sets.

My friends, I think that unless something drastic happens this generation of 40 plus men that most of us belong to will be the last to be into model railways.  My beloved, who came to the york exhibition with me commented on how old everyone there was.

Rant over. 

• RMweb Premium

exactly fits my era/area.  It's a great shame.  I won't buy anywhere near as much stuff and I'm sure many others will be in the same boat.  No doubt lower sales will result in higher prices.  And the future of the hobby?  Why and how would kids get into model railways now.  When I was a boy, sadly a long time ago,  I would buy wagons with my pocket money.  Can kids today do that at these prices 

I read recently that the average (whatever that means) weekly pocket money is over £6. That just about buys you a Hornby Railroad wagon and there are non-railroad wagons available for not much over £10. That's new. Go to an exhibition or swapmeet (or even ebay) and your money can go a fair bit further.

It is usually possible to pick up a Hornby 0-4-0 new split-from-set tank engine* from ebay for not much more than £15 including postage. 

A generation ago could you get a brand new locomotive to paint/detail/weather/hack about for the equivalent of £15?

* And the latest ones don't dash off like a scalded cat as soon as you give them a few volts.

I read recently that the average (whatever that means) weekly pocket money is over £6. That just about buys you a Hornby Railroad wagon and there are non-railroad wagons available for not much over £10. That's new. Go to an exhibition or swapmeet (or even ebay) and your money can go a fair bit further.

It is usually possible to pick up a Hornby 0-4-0 new split-from-set tank engine* from ebay for not much more than £15 including postage. 

A generation ago could you get a brand new locomotive to paint/detail/weather/hack about for the equivalent of £15?

* And the latest ones don't dash off like a scalded cat as soon as you give them a few volts.

I remember many years ago that I did not have enough to buy a Triang-Hornby class 31 so as a result my Dad still owns 1/13 of it!

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Gold

"A generation ago could you get a brand new locomotive to paint/detail/weather/hack about for the equivalent of £15?"

I bought in 1981 a Roco H0-e tank for £14.50, it was a stack of cash for me as a teenager, worth in today's money at least £90 I reckon, taking inflation into account.

The prices might seem cheap looking back but not when we factor in what we earned back then. I think I got a pound a week in 1981 and that was only because I worked in my dad's shop every Saturday!

Cheers,

Keith

• RMweb Premium

When I was but a lad, I remember my pocket money just covering the cost of a basic Airfix kit - a wagon from Triang was several weeks' money and as for Hornby..............

One week every month I had to forgo my kit for a copy of Railway Modeller - and the change paid for a tube of glue to build the kits - for those that did not include the little plastic torpedo of glue. 

When the cost of Airfix wagons and planes went up from 2/- to 2/6 (10p to 13p) it took nearly 9 months before I could re-negotiate my weekly allowance.

Let's please keep things in perspective.  We have enjoyed a golden age in the noughties for excellent models (mainly) at very low prices (mainly).  The world has now corrected and no amount of grumbling or referring back to the good old days is going to change things in any sensible time scale.

• RMweb Premium

My dad doubled my weekly allowance if I saved it up to buy something and it still took ages to save up for a Triang-Hornby coach or wagon. As for a loco, they were only ever birthday or Christmas presents.

BTW, Sorry to nitpick but 2/6 was 12.5p.

I have been buying more second hand stuff especially coaches.

Same here, From E bay and at shows, mind you even these prices are going up.

I went to a show and was looking at buying a second hand collett goods but left it, a few weeks later went to another show same dealer, same loco, £20.00 more, reason Bachmann price had gone up, so he put his up.

I agree the price they are asking for the goods is beyond all reason, and i have given up buying anything new and have gone back to making kits, So Parkside are doing a good bit of trade for my needs.

I am not the only one on here who feels the same way about the new price rise , Bachmann NE box van, New price £18.95, For a box van, even on there own site they are selling other box vans at £15.95, so please explain why the new ones cost more?.

I can see the way it is going that sales will fall, shops won't bother to ordering stock that will just become dust collectors, model runs will get smaller and sales will be had through the collectors market at mental prices, as i see a lot of us saying " i am not paying that price" it's started to happen already reading some of these post.

I am getting a little sick and tired hearing this is why price have gone up, due to this and this, Bachmann, Hornby, and most of the other move to China, one reason it was cheap to get things made, Now we are being told that China is not a cheap as it was to make good and Bahamanian have  start to rise there prices.

OK i can live with that, and prices my go up a bit, but you telling me that prices have gone up twice in one year due to China and a lot of the stuff has gone up 50%, would you work with a factory that keeps telling you, Oh by they way where going to put the prices up twice a year and some of the stuff you where getting is going up 50%, would you still be doing business with them?. I don't see Hornby Price rising twice a year and to the insane level that Bachmann are now asking.

But we Nash and grind out teeth about prices, but we still end up looking for a way to get that loco we so need, So Bachmann make a sale at the new price and they are happy.

I feel it is getting to a point when the bubble pops and Bachmann sale fall off , you only have to read through a lot of the threads to see why.

Darren 

Many of the rest of us are getting very sick and tired of the continual whinging.  Chinese wages have TREBLED since 2006. Why should they work for subsistence wages just to subsidize your hobby?

Why in that case, has no other of the million or more products of any type (not just Model trains) that I am aware, of  which have been "Made in China" had a 20% or more price hike in the last 12 months ??. 

Why in that case, has no other of the million or more products of any type (not just Model trains) that I am aware, of  which have been "Made in China" had a 20% or more price hike in the last 12 months ??. 

The list price for a Hornby BR Brake Van is £16.99  when the comparable one from Bachmann one for £25.50 unless we are due a major price rise from Hornby!

Mark Saunders

Many of the rest of us are getting very sick and tired of the continual whinging.  Chinese wages have TREBLED since 2006. Why should they work for subsistence wages just to subsidize your hobby?

So why haven't we seen the same astronomical price rises from Dapol, Oxford, Hornby et al?

This isn't about Chinese workers wages. I won't begrudge anybody a decent wage. It's about why Bachmann are charging nearly twice the price for a wagon than a similar product from their competitors which are also manufactured in China. If we were seeing the same increases across the board then fine you would buy it.

Trust me I will pay the price for my hobby but, I'm not being taken for a mug. Hence why I've got a rake of RMC hoppers on order but Peak Forest wouldn't be Peak Forest without a rake of these.

So why haven't we seen the same astronomical price rises from Dapol, Oxford, Hornby et al?

This isn't about Chinese workers wages. I won't begrudge anybody a decent wage. It's about why Bachmann are charging nearly twice the price for a wagon than a similar product from their competitors which are also manufactured in China. If we were seeing the same increases across the board then fine you would buy it.

Trust me I will pay the price for my hobby but, I'm not being taken for a mug. Hence why I've got a rake of RMC hoppers on order but Peak Forest wouldn't be Peak Forest without a rake of these.

So much angst to so little effect !!

I repeat - not for the first time - Bachmann are in the business to make as much money as possible; it's called capitalism.

If they've over-egged their prices then there'll be a reckoning; if they haven't, then they'll succeed in their prime objective !

End of story - no end of arguing and complaining will make any difference whatsoever.

Is their NOTHING whatsoever to talk about Bachmann's 2016 announcements except pricing ?

........... and we wonder why this forum is increasingly regarded as the province of the wingeing brigade.

Wake up, smell the coffee, and get on with life !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Presumably you'll be quite happy to see the costs of pretty much everything you use day to day (that isn't food) treble as well then?

Some people earn much more than others and costs of living are vastly different globally, twas always thus and will always be so.

Archived