Bachmann DBSO driving brake second open

class37418stag

1 hour ago, StuAllen said:

One thing I didn’t think of when I bought mine - can I run it on a DC layout? Do I need to do anything to disable the DCC stuff ?

According to the information leaflet with all DBSO’s they are DC compatible as purchased but not all functions are controllable.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

The re-run might have the black end on one DBSO even without the gubbins on the front for the SGT. I think if theres a re-run it will be a different coach. 

If there is a rerun, the Bachmann model - as is - is only good for 9702/9703.

9701/08/14 are all generator fitted and are very visibly different. (Bachmann seem to have thankfully given up printing to represent plated windows/grilles etc.)

9701 was the general use generator, often used with 975091 and other vehicles that required power, 9708 was dedicated to the SGT set with 460000, complete with end cameras etc, whilst 9714 eventually became the second SGT set driving car  - with additional end detail.

Details have varied over time - a specific time date photo will be required to confirm the exact info.

Only 9708 was black at the inner end and didn't have a corridor connection (see lower pic) whilst semi-permanently bar-coupled to the optical car 460000, as well has having various mods to the roofline.  Believed to be deflectors to keep rainwater away from the rotating laser "dustbin" fitted to 460000's last year or so in service. [*] This is 9708 at the RTC being altered back to "normal" after being coupled to 460000 for a few years.

AFAIIA, 9708 with black end, only ran with 460000/975081/975280/99666.  

9708c.thumb.jpg.44d398fe50ea07d6c1e5a8f23179ff97.jpg

[*] see recent pics of 977986 and 99666.

9708 with 460000

9708d.thumb.jpg.c671e339fc25b165e1549a84c6f0642c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

Received my Network Rail DBSO today from Cheltenham models, Fantastic coach and the DCC adds an extra dimension to it. Really pleased with it. On a separate note, If anyone is interested. Rainbow Railways have 5 of the Network Rail available for sale as at 5pm today.

Crazy prices on Ebay with some selling Buy it now for £260. 🙄

Edited by Krieghoff

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Krieghoff said:

Received my Network Rail DBSO today from Cheltenham models, Fantastic coach and the DCC adds an extra dimension to it. Really pleased with it. On a separate note, If anyone is interested. Rainbow Railways have 5 of the Network Rail available for sale as at 5pm today.

I see retailers are asking that sort of money in there now, not just private sellers. 

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Ncarter2 said:

I see retailers are asking that sort of money in there now, not just private sellers. 

Im afraid it the old chestnut of supply and demand. Motorcycle and car manufacturers do it, in fact lots of companies do it so they can artificially keep prices high. Doesnt make it right but i suppose manufacturers have to try to gauge how many they can sell.

Good luck to everyone who has one of these and hopefully Bachmann may do a re-run but i wouldnt hold my breath.

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, Krieghoff said:

All sold out !

Has anyone had the body off their DBSO yet? I want to do some internal mods/detailing but am all but scared of trying to get it off on such pricey model without understanding how minus damaging it! We all know how delicate modern models are.

Anyone been there and done that before me?

Edited by sanspareil
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, sanspareil said:

Has anyone had the body off their DBSO yet? I want to do some internal mods/detailing but am all but scared of trying to get it off on such pricey model without understanding how minus damaging it! We all know how delicate modern models are.

Anyone been there and done that before me?

Yes, I've taken mine to bits in order to back-date it to when the DBSOs were first introduced to the GEML - principally to remove the door-locking lights, remove some of the decals that are incorrect for my period and make a few other changes.

There are four clips on each side, as per below:

Robm00014.thumb.jpg.d63535762b779d0a1e67b4337d83a3c9.jpg

There are two insets in the chassis near the inner edges of the bogies to get your thumbnail into. Recommend using some card to slide in between the central two clips and bodyshell - the outer ones then are easier to unclip.

There is a small pipe connected to the driver's side which you need to be careful to disconnect and move out of the way when removing the chassis:

Robm00016.thumb.jpg.a5866074f36e79fcbbceb4638cb909e1.jpg

I found it was also far easier to attach the upper ETH fitting to the chassis with the bodyshell off! Awaiting delivery of some passengers and crew figures to complete the interior while completing the other modifications, and then some light weathering to finish it off.

Rob

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 01/07/2022 at 17:42, StuAllen said:

One thing I didn’t think of when I bought mine - can I run it on a DC layout? Do I need to do anything to disable the DCC stuff ?

Yes you can. If the chips been set up properly by Bachmann you shouldn't have to do anything.

Ian_B

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was watching this review

and it in the comments someone noted the cv settings to alter the interior lighting. They are:

CV116 Cab - Value Range=0-15 (default=7)

CV117 Guards Area Brightness - Value Range=0-15 (default=7)

CV118 Passenger Area - Value Range=0-15 (default=7)

• RMweb Gold

At this point its probably worth pointing out that DBSO bodyshells are available from Bachmann…

Scotrail..

https://Bachmann-spares.co.uk/product/mk2f-coaches-body---br-scotrail-livery-(dbso)-39-726dc/e3965-200-05

Blue-Grey

https://Bachmann-spares.co.uk/product/mk2f-coaches--body---br-blue-and-grey-(dbso)-39-725dc/e3965-200-01

if you missed out, buying an Anglia / Intercity one may not be your worst option and body swapping… indeed the full suit of DBSO spares are on the website.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Following the modifications to all my Bachmann Class 20/3 to give them the outer marker lights I’ve now just modified my DRS DBSO to partially correct to lights to DRS configuration. The positioning is not 100% correct I know but at least the lighting now looks much better to me.

C30EC01F-F9C3-4180-BFF5-C06492351707.jpeg

563DE1DF-B4BE-4C31-83FC-F003EF96D0C5.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/07/2022 at 21:45, Martin_R said:

Following the modifications to all my Bachmann Class 20/3 to give them the outer marker lights I’ve now just modified my DRS DBSO to partially correct to lights to DRS configuration. The positioning is not 100% correct I know but at least the lighting now looks much better to me.

C30EC01F-F9C3-4180-BFF5-C06492351707.jpeg

563DE1DF-B4BE-4C31-83FC-F003EF96D0C5.jpeg

Can we have a 'how to' Martin ???

9 hours ago, Krieghoff said:

Can we have a 'how to' Martin ???

I did mean to give a few tips but time wasn’t in my favour back then……..

Separate the body from chassis as already shown earlier, unplug the lighting bar connection CAREFULLY.

The external mods were kind of standard, I used a fine razor saw to create the horizontal bottom edge below the red lens. I put a sliver of brass in the cut to protect and then gently carved and filed the redundant lower light housing and lens away. I couldn’t see a simple or safe way to get to the lens from the inside so carefully drilled the lens out a little so it could be filled with Milliput Superfine - if you don’t do this I suspect you may get a light bleed from the filed back lens. When filling I have always added a little matching acrylic paint when mixing the Milliput, then after 24 hours some very gentle filing and sanding to blend in the profile. I hand painted in the yellow warning panel giving 4 light coats giving plenty of time to dry between coats. When completely dry give the area a light coat of Johnsons Klear, add your transfer (I used Railtec as they have the correct number). Another coat of Klear to seal - job done, now electric’s…..

The top light was a warm white LED and a 1.5k resistor, drill out hole to suit the LED lens size. Remove the internal lighting strip, a little gentle carving off the top of the central window housing is needed to get the LED to sit properly - use a short length of heat shrink around the LED body to stop light bleed. Secure with epoxy or your favourite fast adhesive - NOT superglue as it could cloud surrounding glazing. I held the body upright and added a few spots of Glue n Glaze to form the lens for the new top light and added securing.
The lighting strip has three tiny solder connections at the cab end - common +, FL1 and I think RL1? (just like the 20/3). Splay the LED wires so they are at each side of the roof just above the window glazing soldering on wire and cover all the bare wire areas with heat shrink tubing. Connect the resistor to LED long pin (anode) and solder the wires to the connections on the lighting strip, resistor to the common + and the LED short pin (cathode) to the tag FL1. Tuck and secure the wires along the roof / body juncture so they are not visible.

Connect plug and rest body on the chassis and test, if all’s well click to body back on, look out for the fitting at the bottom of cab end - don’t get it trapped or damaged between body and chassis.

Job done!🤞

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

28 minutes ago, aeroplane said:

Is 9703 any different from 9702 other than the number?

Think the presentation said it was going to be a slightly different shade of yellow, presumably as per the prototypes?

Edited by WILLIAM
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Wow Very surprised to see yet more… Surely that has to be it now. (“One” livery  hasnt been done).

But Another intercity livery, suggests intention to me that the GEML is in their focus…

we now have 3 DBSOs, all in 1994-2004 GE liveries, without stock, and nothing to pull it.

unsurprisingly the first two dbsos havent sold out, but we now have a 3rd..

I am begining to wonder if a Bachmann 86, really is on the horizon, together with more mk2f’s… in Intercity and Anglia. Ive been suspicious of the absence of any Anglia 90’s so far too…perhaps theres Mk3’s in this mix too ?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, big jim said:

I’m hoping for a generator fitted NR DBSO at some point, 9708 was my passing out ‘coach’ 

you can even get away with running it with just a single 37!

3A56C50E-DA40-4BF6-804E-564C405D6A21.jpg

Now these NR DBSOs will be two a penny, it might be worth experimenting…

https://www.departmentals.com/photo/9708-7

That looks interesting, someone is bound to do a 3D print of the gizmos on the front, on the body side is it just a window thats been blocked, and a vented grill in the baggage area of one side, of are there other differences ?

Thinking maybe railtec could do the vented grills ?

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Now these NR DBSOs will be two a penny, it might be worth experimenting…

https://www.departmentals.com/photo/9708-7

That looks interesting, someone is bound to do a 3D print of the gizmos on the front, on the body side is it just a window thats been blocked, and a vented grill in the baggage area of one side, of are there other differences ?

Thinking maybe railtec could do the vented grills ?

i did a model of it with a PH Designs brass kit so you could possibly use the grille etch off that and cut it in if you didn’t mind hacking things up but as @Steadfast says it’s got a smaller Front window and fuel tank as well as an exhaust for the generator, plis smaller details too such as fire pull levers/engine stop buttons for the generator

Edited by big jim

• RMweb Premium

https://Bachmann-spares.co.uk/site/search?q=39-725dc - Am I correct in thinking you could make up a 39-725DC DBSO from these parts with only the wheels needed to finish it?

Wheels being https://Bachmann-spares.co.uk/product/mk2f-coaches-black-axle-for-bogie/e3965-239-03

In which case that's only £99 but self assembly and no box?

would think the tooling would not allow for the vents instead of the doors but never know I could be wrong. I did think about getting a IC one along with the second network rail DBSO to try convert with the PH designs parts mentioned above but £150 is a lot of money when it comes to cutting holes into models! 

Edited by virginhst539