Cooper craft - Cautionary notes for customers - Its fate and thoughts on an alternative

Edwardian

I've tried to do something about it previously; with no effect. I wouldn't order anything from him hence I wouldn't be in a position to enter into legal processes.

However it's unfair to brand others as 'wusses' or similar. Many of the losses are small and the process to reclaim them cheap but time-consuming. Is it really worth it to someone who's lost out - at least they've warned others of their experiences. If you've lost £20 would you spend another £25 on an online small claim in the hope that you'd get it all back or write it off to experience?

It's wholly wrong in my personal opinion that he places himself in a position where he permits a transaction he cannot honour. Trading Standards won't be particularly interested and they'd push it towards a civil matter; they have bigger fish to fry.

I have taken the unusual step of speaking to his web hosting provider explaining the situation and that transactions are being made, payments taken through WorldPay as a gateway and customers are not being supplied with goods. They will be contacting Paul Dunn to discuss the matter and offer assistance as appropriate.

As it is evident that no amendments have been made to the Cooper Craft website and that it is possible to select items, place them in the basket and connect to the payment gateway and make payment for goods which cannot be supplied. The hosting providers, Sinclair Knight, have contacted Paul Dunn and asked if he requires any additional training. They have stated that it is 'nothing to do with them now' and have abdicated any responsibility claiming that they cannot do anything. I have explained that they have an obligation as the provider of the hosting which facilitates these transactions to ensure that fraudulent activities are not carried out using their servers. I felt that they were out of their depth too and this led to her putting the phone down. I have advised that I would be quoting the above and that I would advise anyone taking legal action to make reference to the fact that the hosting provider has been made aware of these activities and that action has not been taken.

• Like 7

As it is evident that no amendments have been made to the Cooper Craft website and that it is possible to select items, place them in the basket and connect to the payment gateway and make payment for goods which cannot be supplied. The hosting providers, Sinclair Knight, have contacted Paul Dunn and asked if he requires any additional training. They have stated that it is 'nothing to do with them now' and has abdicated any responsibility claiming that they cannot do anything. I have explained that they have an obligation as the provider of the hosting which facilitates these transactions to ensure that fraudulent activities are not carried out using their servers. I felt that they were out of their depth too and this led to her putting the phone down. I have advised that I would be quoting the above and that I would advise anyone taking legal action to make reference to the fact that the hosting provider has been made aware of these activities and that action has not been taken.

Well done Andy thanks for your support ...... it is unusual to have such a situation in this hobby as it would appear that 99.9 percent of traders are honest.

• RMweb Premium

Thought that might be it! Just in case the other guy had Googled Green which would explain why he didn't find anything.

Nothing under Geen as well.

For BR Newspapers vans, I need a second one.

• RMweb Gold

Nothing under Geen as well.

For BR Newspapers vans, I need a second one.

I had no problem finding his website by Googling David Geen Kits. A few seconds despite our totally carp broadband.

The parts are not shown on the catalogue pages, only on the price list which is accessed via the home page.

He does not update the website often by the looks of things as the price list is for 2009! But I think the item you want is GW/70 Van body detailing fret.

.....He does not update the website often by the looks of things as the price list is for 2009! ....

He has no access to it at all so cannot shut it down, but the paper lists - which people should still obtain - are (mostly) up to date.

There has been a very occasional mention of work on a new website, but it appears this is not a priority.

He has no access to it at all so cannot shut it down, but the paper lists - which people should still obtain - are (mostly) up to date.

There has been a very occasional mention of work on a new website, but it appears this is not a priority.

Strange then that he is still accepting and is aware of orders made by the website.

• RMweb Premium

David, can access the site, but has no ability to alter it. The site was set up after a bit of bartering, I believe, without thought of updates and alterations, this is why there's been no change. The PDF price list is separate and can be changed as required. You can always email him, but don't expect a rapid reply as he doesn't check very often or is away either visiting relatives or on holiday somewhere.

• RMweb Premium

David, can access the site, but has no ability to alter it. The site was set up after a bit of bartering, I believe, without thought of updates and alterations, this is why there's been no change. The PDF price list is separate and can be changed as required. You can always email him, but don't expect a rapid reply as he doesn't check very often or is away either visiting relatives or on holiday somewhere.

David? I understood his name is Paul? Or are we now talking about another dodgy website? Confused (again).

• RMweb Gold

Yes, let's not confuse Paul Dunn of Coopercraft and David Geen of David Geen kits.

David has a problem of accessing his 2009 website as described by Siberian Snooper above (post 837), but he has nothing to do with Coopercraft and I have only good experiences of dealing with him. 

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I had no problem finding his website by Googling David Geen Kits. A few seconds despite our totally carp broadband.

The parts are not shown on the catalogue pages, only on the price list which is accessed via the home page.

He does not update the website often by the looks of things as the price list is for 2009! But I think the item you want is GW/70 Van body detailing fret.

Not obvious though, I will investigate

It looks as if David Green's site was designed by a 'company' that no longer exists. It is hosted in Germany, but through a branch in the UK (1&1). I'm pretty sure, as David is shown as the registrar of the name, that if he was to phone/write 1&1, they would be able to direct him as to how to update his site - it is not that complex,  (alter one line on the index page, and add a new pricelist pdf) but it may be something he has no wish to do. Registration expires in Nov this year, iirc

David GEEN is at Wakefield scaleforum this weekend. He has been casting again whilst the NE weather has improved and David has managed to stock up on the bits and pieces.

David's website was designed by a friend who he has lost contact with. David does not have the skills or time to sort it out as he and his wife have not been in the best of health for the last few months.

I am maintaining the price lists that are on his stand and an PM will get you a pdf of the current GWR and non GWR price lists.

I would not bother asking David about his opinion/views of Coopercraft as he refuses to comment or get involved.

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Like 2

Sounds like "deja-vu all over again"!

• RMweb Premium

I had a good chat with David Geen at Scalefour North today. It is the first show he and his wife have attended since they were both ill - yes, she was there as well.

He is back in harness, though by mid afternoon he admitted that he was tired. He has not been to produce new stock so some lines have run out, though he had a good amount on the stand.

He is happy for people to contact him about orders etc.

And just last night someone contacted him about his website suggesting that it should be possible to get it updated. I didn't go into the details though I did mention that the people had expressed concern about him on RMWeb and the subject of the website had come up. He also said that he had hoped last year that when the subscription ran out it would be closed, but whoever handles that for him renewed the subscription first and asked him afterwards. Anyway, that side sounds promising.

And he had the kit I wanted.

So this thread can now go back on topic.

Jonathan

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

There seems to be a surfiet of kits at Hattons at present.

http://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/3156002/1000588/1000636/0/Ian_Kirk_Kits_OO_Gauge_1_76_Scale_Coaches/prodlist.aspx

They don't appear (in the pictures) to be full kits, but rather the sides only that were made up as stock that Ian Kirk alluded to earlier in the thread.

• RMweb Gold

There seems to be a surfiet of kits at Hattons at present.

http://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/3156002/1000588/1000636/0/Ian_Kirk_Kits_OO_Gauge_1_76_Scale_Coaches/prodlist.aspx

They don't appear (in the pictures) to be full kits, but rather the sides only that were made up as stock that Ian Kirk alluded to earlier in the thread.

I think they are full kits Dave.  The reference numbers used by CooperCraft are, for example, SID 842 for the sides and 8842 for the full kit.  Although only the sides are clearly visible there appear to be other parts behind the instructions sheets in the packs.

Perhaps anyone interested ought to double check with Hattons first though.  (Assuming the kits are still there in the morning.)

I think they are full kits Dave.  The reference numbers used by CooperCraft are, for example, SID 842 for the sides and 8842 for the full kit.  Although only the sides are clearly visible there appear to be other parts behind the instructions sheets in the packs.

Perhaps anyone interested ought to double check with Hattons first though.  (Assuming the kits are still there in the morning.)

I've taken a punt and ordered the Gresley Buffet Car pack, so I'll find out whether it's sides only or the full whack.