Cooper craft - Cautionary notes for customers - Its fate and thoughts on an alternative

Edwardian

• RMweb Premium

DC Kits in Leeds has a box full of Southern Kits,  Charlie

Hi Charlie

It isn't the Southern ones that are the problem. From my understanding the moulds for them and the LNER coaches went separate directions after leaving Ian's business. At the present time the Southern ones are not in production or being advertised as available (except your box). Unlike the LNER coaches that are being openly advertised, when they are not in production or available. Worse is money is being  taken for them without the goods being sent.

• RMweb Gold

Rather than sit around moaning about the problems with Cooper Craft, on Monday I send this Dunn guy the pro forma "Letter before Small Claims Court claim" which can be found here: http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/letter/letter-before-small-claims-court-claim

Outlay to date - a 2nd class stamp. He has 28 days to respond. We will see if anything happens.

I would always suggest sending such a letter by "Signed For" delivery. Costs a bit more but proves that it got there.

• RMweb Gold

Unless the recipient rejects it.

Would that be logged by Royal Mail?

It raises an interesting question.  How do you get around it, i.e. how do you prevent an unscrupulous individual constantly rejecting recorded mail thereby being able to deny knowledge of a small claims action?  Does it matter?

• RMweb Gold

It raises an interesting question.  How do you get around it, i.e. how do you prevent an unscrupulous individual constantly rejecting recorded mail thereby being able to deny knowledge of a small claims action?  Does it matter?

I have experienced this situation in real life.

If the defendant can prove that he knew nothing of the action and could not have known, because of a failure to deliver documents to the right address, the action will be set aside.

So, if you can prove that the documents were presented at the right address, he has no defence even if he refused to accept them.

UPDATE: the Ian Kirk Gresley buffet car pack has just arrived from Hattons. The box it's in is big enough to pack at least ten similar kits in there.

post-6879-0-32850900-1492086120_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-99750700-1492086209_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-75086300-1492086299_thumb.jpg

It raises an interesting question. How do you get around it, i.e. how do you prevent an unscrupulous individual constantly rejecting recorded mail thereby being able to deny knowledge of a small claims action? Does it matter?

My colleague has had one or two recent experiences of this. She resorted instead to hiring a process server to make sure the recipient took the letter. Even the process server reported that he had never come across such a slippery recipient.

Edited by Horsetan

I have experienced this situation in real life.

If the defendant can prove that he knew nothing of the action and could not have known, because of a failure to deliver documents to the right address, the action will be set aside.

So, if you can prove that the documents were presented at the right address, he has no defence even if he refused to accept them.

Or you can do, as I have just done, a send a follow-up e-mail - with a copy of the Letter Before Small Claims Court claim attached - to info@cooper-craft.co.uk

If we all just sit around moaning and do nothing - he gets away with it. And it makes it easier for others to cheat us, knowing they too will probably get away with it.

And can we please keep this thread on the sole subject of Cooper Craft and not drag honest traders into his cess.

I called in at the Model Railway shop in Grantham yesterday, and they have a big box full of Coppercraft and Slaters kits (mostly with the Somerset address on the packets). Not the full range (none of the Midland kits), but I got a couple of Slaters PO wagons and so left happy. 

• RMweb Premium

Powsides have the Slaters PO wagon 4mm kits undecorated. I recieved a couple from them recently, speedy delivery:

http://www.powsides.co.uk/www.powsides.co.uk/info.php?p=8&cat=471393

Great minds think alike once again - it dawned on me last week that this is the way forward for my Huntley & Palmers 6-plank wagons so have a couple on the way!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

UPDATE: the Ian Kirk Gresley buffet car pack has just arrived from Hattons. The box it's in is big enough to pack at least ten similar kits in there.

attachicon.gifIMG_20170413_130435.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20170413_130519.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20170413_130538.jpg

My colleague has had one or two recent experiences of this. She resorted instead to hiring a process server to make sure the recipient took the letter. Even the process server reported that he had never come across such a slippery recipient.

It would seem to be Hattons standard packaging, I had half a dozen packs of Evergreen strip from them in the same size box.

• 1 month later...

Very few plastic parts/kits available at Bracknell, plenty of etched brass available (though may have been etchings only)

Had a quick pleasant chat about the Toplights, he said they will no longer be available as there is a legal issue

Does this mean they will revert back to Slaters?

• RMweb Gold

Just filed papers against Dunn at the Small Claims Court. We will see what happens next.

Throwing good money after bad - but sometimes it is the principle that matters.

I hope it goes well for you, I agree about whether you bother but it can't keep festering away taking money without supplying goods.

Just filed papers against Dunn at the Small Claims Court. We will see what happens next.

Throwing good money after bad - but sometimes it is the principle that matters.

This is such a sad matter, on one side we cannot have suppliers taking money and not supplying the goods.

We also need folk to take over ranges when the owners decide to retire.

I have kept away from using this companies mail order facilities, but have bought from him at recent shows.

I have also had a couple of quick chats with the chap without mentioning any of the issues. I have no idea of the issues he has, just feel very sorry for him. But then I have not suffered financially from his dealings. 

A great shame for all concerned

We also need folk to take over ranges when the owners decide to retire.

Who is the 'folk' you refer to? Ranges will disappear as there are few 'folk' who are prepared to put in the unpaid life required to preserve these ranges.

Alternative. As any business student will tell you, every product has a product life cycle. Many ranges are in the decline phase and will cease eventually. Buy while you can - they will not be available forever.

Mike Wiltshire

One proven way to keep a range alive is to continually introduce new products. That maintains customer awareness, keeps the cash flow going and keeps older products viable. Examples include Brassmasters, Judith Edge, London Road Models. Absorbing other ranges also can keep existing products in production when the owner retires, E.g. Brassmasters & Finney kits. Provided that is that the new owner has the experience and infrastructure to produce and market stuff in the first place.

Part of Paul Dunn's problems are his inability to produce existing products, never mind introduce anything new. Other aspects of this sad tale have already been discussed at length.

Who is the 'folk' you refer to? Ranges will disappear as there are few 'folk' who are prepared to put in the unpaid life required to preserve these ranges.

Alternative. As any business student will tell you, every product has a product life cycle. Many ranges are in the decline phase and will cease eventually. Buy while you can - they will not be available forever.

Mike Wiltshire

Mike

You may well have said wise words, but there are some doing this. SEF & Branchlines with thew Nucast partnership, Phoenix paints taking over the NN kits and Carrs, C&L has just changed hands and recently heard of at least 2 other ranges being absorbed into existing businesses, Comet coaches are still available through a new owner

As for Coopercraft, the range of etches are being sold, some want the plastic kits (may not be enough to sustain the business though). But sadly as you have said have fallen into the hands of some who do not have the ability to maintain the ranges