Cooper craft - Cautionary notes for customers - Its fate and thoughts on an alternative

Edwardian

• RMweb Gold

Or perhaps the buy to put on eBay at a higher price?

I was a little surprised (and pleased) that Hattons hadn't bumped up the prices to eBay levels.

I'd better come clean.  I bought some of them.  It was unusual not to be beaten to it by some horsey bloke.  Coincidentally, the last time this happened the seller had something to do with bacon.

• Like 1

On the whole, these days, the most popular kits are plastic ones. Etched brass one may be liked by those who can build them, but are very much a minority interest. Look at how many Dapol(ex Airfix) kits sell. Most military modellers stll rely on plastic kits.

What is needed is not a stick but a carrot. It does need the authority and support from those who could close Coopercraft down. Give him the option, either face the music, or allow a professional team to help him, and the hobby sort it out. Running a business is not easy,especially on your own, it can damage your health, one reason I decided to go the 3D printed online route.

From what I have heard, some have offered to help. That is not going to work. Pride tends to cloud your judgement, and it is sometimes very difficult to adnit you can cope, and do need help. That is why I suggest anyone who does want to help, should go in with someone with proper authority. Possibly a case of 'good cop bad cop'!

Edited by rue_d_etropal

• RMweb Gold

How many were there originally?

When I had a look there was half a dozen left so I hoovered them up. Two non corridors, a short GE section mainline and three 61 footers. Nearly all Brake Thirds though.

Not going on eBay.

Jason

About a dozen in total I think.  Though there's no way of knowing if there were more there before I looked.

Nice to know you're going to build them rather than sell them on.  That's my intention too but I'll have to settle for being a hoarder for the short term.

• RMweb Gold

If you were after the buffet car, then I afraid it was last seen being carried off by a horse....

Ha, haa.  Nope.  I may have too many of those already.  What I'd really like is one of the three-car restaurant sets but they hardly ever turn up and go for too much when they do.

......What is needed is not a stick but a carrot. It does need the authority and support from those who could close Coopercraft down. Give him the option, either face the music, or allow a professional team to help him, and the hobby sort it out. Running a business is not easy,especially on your own, it can damage your health, ...

From what I have heard, some have offered to help. That is not going to work. Pride tends to cloud your judgement, and it is sometimes very difficult to adnit you can cope, and do need help. That is why I suggest anyone who does want to help, should go in with someone with proper authority. Possibly a case of 'good cop bad cop'!

Nothing is likely to work in this case. The owner appears to have backed himself into a corner as far as the plastic kits, tooling and irate would-be customers go, and I surmise that he might well be subject to bouts of depression as a result, driving himself further into a corner. Observe his Johnny-no-mates persona at shows. Equally, his pride/ bloodymindedness means he refuses all offers of help.

Dead man walking.

...It just goes to show what the owner is missing out on though. That's at least a dozen at £15 a go.

The buffet car was £12, and I went for that because a number of them have been preserved.

That's a couple of hundred pounds that could have been spent through his website shop rather than the second hand market.

That's ironic, given that quite a few hundred has been spent via the website with precious little to show for it, hence irate would-be customers.

Edited by Horsetan

• RMweb Gold

About a dozen in total I think.  Though there's no way of knowing if there were more there before I looked.

When I first looked there were about 20.

I didn't pick any up as I've still got 10 or so to build as well as other makes.

• RMweb Gold

Nothing is likely to work in this case. The owner appears to have backed himself into a corner as far as the plastic kits, tooling and irate would-be customers go, and I surmise that he might well be subject to bouts of depression as a result, driving himself further into a corner. Observe his Johnny-no-mates persona at shows. Equally, his pride/ bloodymindedness means he refuses all offers of help.

It appears that Paul won't be at the forthcoming 'Railex'. I was hoping to stock up on some of the remaining sides and some Blacksmith etches.

• RMweb Premium

The irony regarding these Gresley coach kits and sides only, is that the last time I saw the gentleman in person with his stand he had a good stock of most of the range.

Bernard

Hi Bernard

At the Nottingham show there was very little in the way of plastic bits. I didn't stare too long at the etched stuff as from what I understand it is mainly not suitable for my modelling era.

Rather than sit around moaning about the problems with Cooper Craft, on Monday I send this Dunn guy the pro forma "Letter before Small Claims Court claim" which can be found here: http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/letter/letter-before-small-claims-court-claim

Outlay to date - a 2nd class stamp. He has 28 days to respond. We will see if anything happens.

• Like 1

Hi Bernard

At the Nottingham show there was very little in the way of plastic bits. I didn't stare too long at the etched stuff as from what I understand it is mainly not suitable for my modelling era.

Thanks Clive,

It must have been last year when I last saw the stand,.

As you seldom see the built models there must be a large collection sitting in cupboards.

I have one pair of sides for attaching to a very cheap Hornby donor in the 'to do' box so am also guilty of hoarding.

Bernard

• RMweb Premium

Something to keep in mind is that what the owner of a business does with their business is their own, well, business. If they want to throw assets away, refuse to develop and grow it, act in a way that alienates customers etc then it is there business and it is their money they’re throwing away. So, the idea of modellers taking over this company or leaning on the owner to do what they’d like him to do are a complete non-starter and wrong unless the guy in question wants to go down that route. Which he seemingly doesn’t. If the company goes down the tubes and ends up defunct then it’s his money and livelihood he’s throwing away.

What is the business of outsiders is his apparent willingness to accept payment for goods that he can’t deliver and then refusing to communicate with his customers. Any excuses about websites are pretty lame, if he can’t maintain an e-commerce website and on-line payment system then he shouldn’t be offering an on-line payment tool. There is no excuse for that.

wrt small claims court letter, is proof of posting proof of delivery? Is it enough to get a po receipt of posting, or does it need to be 'signed for' on delivery?

'Signed for' is always better, though he seems to be in denial that anything is wrong, you really need to back up your evidence every step of the way.