Hornby announce the ex SECR / SR / BR(s) Wainwright H Class 0-4-4 tank as part of their 2017 range

Graham_Muz

Bluebell Railway have 1061 and 3363 on its books so there is more than one still around.

These two coaches are of the 50ft 1in. variety and are earlier than the 60ft stock.

As posted earlier only one 60ft coach survives.

Edited by trevor7598

• RMweb Gold

Apologies, I was unaware the Birdcage coaches were built in two different lengths. I haven't really paid much attention to the type as I am not buying any until the price gets discounted significantly and judging by how many are still in the shops, I am not the only one playing the wait and see game on these.

Crimson is sold out at Bachmann, it might be a long game.

Someone did ask at the returns stand at Warley if there was any, at which the laughs of the crowd drowned out the Bachmann guys somewhat speechless response, which was.. “maybe next year”.

Edited by adb968008

Apologies, I was unaware the Birdcage coaches were built in two different lengths.  I haven't really paid much attention to the type as I am not buying any until the price gets discounted significantly and judging by how many are still in the shops, I am not the only one playing the wait and see game on these.

More than just 2 lengths. Each year of the SECR's existent almost had its own variant of these coaches.

Crimson is sold out at Bachmann, it might be a long game.

Someone did ask at the returns stand at Warley if there was any, at which the laughs of the crowd drowned out the Bachmann guys somewhat speechless response, which was.. “maybe next year”.

The Swanage Station shop has still got some crimson birdcage coaches. I thought these were not selling as well as the others.

Update on Hornby's site for coming soon , H class SR version now expected Februari, most of the new coming items are now moved to Februari.

But with coming Chinese new year, it could also become later :pardon: .

But with al the overwhelming :this:  new SECR /SR stock there's coming, it can be some relieve for many wallets on the moment :no:  

......   most of the new coming items are now moved to Februari.

But with coming Chinese new year, it could also become later :pardon: .  .... 

In 2018, the Chinese New Year is on the 18th February (with factories suffering absenteeism at least a week in advance).

But as the voyage to the UK being at least 4 weeks, the factories will be getting things out well before the 1st of Feb if they are due in the UK by the end of the month.

More than just 2 lengths. Each year of the SECR's existent almost had its own variant of these coaches.

Yes indeed, as on many pre-Grouping railways, SECR carriages got longer over the years eg 45, 50 and 54 foot brakes preceded the 3-sets of 60ft stock of 1912-1915 modelled by Bachmann.  Indeed these plus ten 3-sets built 1915-21 without birdcages and the (in)famous ten compartment thirds were the the SECR's only 60ft stock.  They did go on to build a boat train in 1921 with 62ft carriages.  Most of the coaches in the 54ft birdcage 3-sets which preceded the 60ft sets ended up, heavily rebuilt, on the IoW.

Chris KT

• Like 1

Happy Christmas everyone.

Re the SECR H class, now its arrived for Christmas I note that it has smaller buffer heads at the front than the rear, is this prototypical?

I'm not an expert on SECR locomotives, but it seems that some of them possibly did have smaller buffers on the front than the rear.

Look at 31005 here. Definitely small buffers at the front.

http://www.semgonline.com/steam/hclass_04.html

Jason

Another question please, I can't work out from the Hornby drawings where the two little arms go that fit on the underside of the chassis.

Does anyone have a photo or two of the fitted parts please?

The larger is the handbrake lever.

Dscn0030_640.jpg

The smaller is the reversing lever from the steam reverser

Dscn0031_640.jpg

Edited by bigherb
  • Like 2

Hi Guys, my wife utterly spoiled me this year, I can't get over just how beautiful these models are!

check out the lovely SECR H class by Hornby married up with a set of three Bachmann Birdcage coaches in SECR Dark Lake livery.

Stunning in every way.

As if this was not enough I also got a Bachmann E4 in LBSC livery, which suits the coaches just as well and probably is prototypical.

What did you get for Christmas?

https://youtu.be/w7hR5LaBE3U

Edited by mikesndbs
  • Like 2

I have been running my SECR H on the gate stock set lately, and found that the running was slightly erratic and inconsistent at times. Investigating this, I noted that the balance over the rear driving wheel is slightly biased to the rear (not good). While the rear bogie takes the weight and keeps the front driving wheels on the track, there is room for them to lift very slightly when running. 

"Simple", I said to myself, "I'll just add a small lump of lead ahead of the motor in the smokebox". Nope! Upon lifting the body, I found that the motor housing and flywheel occupy every bit of the available space in the front part of the boiler and smokebox. However, I noted the gear tower cover behind the motor was lower, and had the capacitor sitting occupying some of the air space. It is just over the rear driving axle, so doesn't offer much scope for rebalancing the loco, but  I felt there was nothing to lose by trying, so I removed the capacitor, then glued two thin strips of lead (tapered slightly towards the top) so that they occupied the space between the gear tower and the boiler. I biased the strips towards the front of the loco, pushing them hard against the motor housing. 

The balance is still slightly "iffy", but is better than it was, and the running has become far more consistent. I hasten to add that the actual motor and mechanism were always perfectly smooth running, it was merely the weight transfer that was causing it to hesitate or slow slightly once in a while.

I have been running my SECR H on the gate stock set lately, and found that the running was slightly erratic and inconsistent at times. Investigating this, I noted that the balance over the rear driving wheel is slightly biased to the rear (not good). While the rear bogie takes the weight and keeps the front driving wheels on the track, there is room for them to lift very slightly when running. 

"Simple", I said to myself, "I'll just add a small lump of lead ahead of the motor in the smokebox". Nope! Upon lifting the body, I found that the motor housing and flywheel occupy every bit of the available space in the front part of the boiler and smokebox. However, I noted the gear tower cover behind the motor was lower, and had the capacitor sitting occupying some of the air space. It is just over the rear driving axle, so doesn't offer much scope for rebalancing the loco, but  I felt there was nothing to lose by trying, so I removed the capacitor, then glued two thin strips of lead (tapered slightly towards the top) so that they occupied the space between the gear tower and the boiler. I biased the strips towards the front of the loco, pushing them hard against the motor housing. 

The balance is still slightly "iffy", but is better than it was, and the running has become far more consistent. I hasten to add that the actual motor and mechanism were always perfectly smooth running, it was merely the weight transfer that was causing it to hesitate or slow slightly once in a while.

The balance is bit of an issue. I want to chip and sound one at some point with crew to boot but this will focus more weight to the rear. The only free is lead down the stack!

• RMweb Gold

The Swanage Station shop has still got some crimson birdcage coaches. I thought these were not selling as well as the others.

I was prompted to buy a Crimson set from Cheltenham Models at Taunton Show back in October because I noticed that they were already running short on the Saturday. While I was completing the transaction, they had a phone call from their shop enquiring what, if anything, was left.

Model Shops at heritage railways often seem to have sales patterns that differ from the general retail trade and, in the past, I've managed to get a couple of items that way that were long-gone elsewhere.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Anyone noticed these coil springs on the second driving wheel, can not find a good picture on the net or in books, is this prototypical ?

Or has Hornby made this driving wheel with springs for better performance.

Yes it is prototypical, 263 on the bluebell has them in any case. For note I think the Q has leaf springs on the front/rear pair and coil springs on the driven crank axle so its probably there for a reason.

I dont think the model is sprung

Yes indeed, as on many pre-Grouping railways, SECR carriages got longer over the years eg 45, 50 and 54 foot brakes preceded the 3-sets of 60ft stock of 1912-1915 modelled by Bachmann.  Indeed these plus ten 3-sets built 1915-21 without birdcages and the (in)famous ten compartment thirds were the the SECR's only 60ft stock.  They did go on to build a boat train in 1921 with 62ft carriages.  Most of the coaches in the 54ft birdcage 3-sets which preceded the 60ft sets ended up, heavily rebuilt, on the IoW.

Chris KT

.... not to mention 44', 46' and 51' coaches ..... if I remember rightly, the bogie stock started at 38' back in S.E.R. days ..........