Willsbridge (Bath Road)

Andrew P

How steep is that incline, Andy and what are you hoping to run up it?

Hi Jonathan, It should work out about 1 in 36 to 48 ish depending on where I can start it from and weather or not I have an intermediate Halt up in the corner as that has to be level. It will be just the 2 Car DMU, or possibly a Pannier / Class 22 with about 4 Wagons for the BLT.

Interesting that you've included a 3-way point Andy. I thought you'd had problems with these in the past.

Yes Peter, your right about the 3 Way, but the first time was with Deesdale Road next to a board joint and the Class 66's didn't like it and then on Pen Junction but that was Code 75 Isometric. I am still looking at it though before I commit hammer and nail to fix it.

I take it from the 3-way point you are using Peco Code 100.  I had no trouble at all with the asymmetric 3-way that comes with Code 75 track.

I think the problem with the Code 75 3Way on Pen Jct. was the Bob the Bodgit Builder to be honest, also I had to mount one of the Point Motors to the Point through a wire as there was a timber under the Board, (no forward Planning) this time I've marked the cross beams on top of the Board so I can juggle things about more before fixing down.

• RMweb Premium

Andy

I don't want to put a damper on an otherwise good plan but the bay looks a bit on the short side for the freight train length you're suggesting.

My rough calculations suggest 4 wagons and a brake are about 18-19 inches long. I don't know the length of the Class 22 [or the pannier] but I'll guess they're a minimum of 6". A 2 car DMU is around the same length as the wagon's total so you may need to add about another 9" to the bay to accommodate a loco and more for any buffer stops.

Its also a very long shunt on the main running line to get from the bay to the yard and vice versa bearing in mind that you're propelling. That said, at least the shunt out of the station isn't towards approaching traffic.

And finally, where will you prepare the branch freight so that you can attach the loco on the right end for the trip along the branch.

Hope you don't mind me commenting.

Andy

I don't want to put a damper on an otherwise good plan but the bay looks a bit on the short side for the freight train length you're suggesting.

My rough calculations suggest 4 wagons and a brake are about 18-19 inches long. I don't know the length of the Class 22 [or the pannier] but I'll guess they're a minimum of 6". A 2 car DMU is around the same length as the wagon's total so you may need to add about another 9" to the bay to accommodate a loco and more for any buffer stops.

Its also a very long shunt on the main running line to get from the bay to the yard and vice versa bearing in mind that you're propelling. That said, at least the shunt out of the station isn't towards approaching traffic.

And finally, where will you prepare the branch freight so that you can attach the loco on the right end for the trip along the branch.

Hope you don't mind me commenting.

The Branch from the BLT will not come from there now Ray, I had re planned it and all will be revealed in a few weeks when I get around to there, but tonight I have been re-planning that area anyway just as a Parcels Bay and done away with the crossover and climb to the high level.

Andy, If it was my layout I would keep the pointwork under the "microsoft" paint but also add a car loading dock next to the bay platform for a motor rail service or similar to add something quirky 

post-9437-0-61509900-1477814977.jpg

Andy, If it was my layout I would keep the pointwork under the "microsoft" paint but also add a car loading dock next to the bay platform for a motor rail service or similar to add something quirky 

attachicon.gifandy.jpg

Thanks Simon, I'm a little tight for room there as I need room at the front of the Layout, but if I can make the Bay a little longer then I can make the end of it into a Car Loading Bay as well giving more flexability for the siding.

attachicon.gifandy.jpg

Just been out and  had another look at it, and without the climb there is now room for a couple of sidings coming off the Goods holding Loop without it looking crowded. I still want plenty of greenery along the back, a small embankment and a bit of a Field etc.

The layout's starting to come along now!

I particularly like the track plan, looks like it'll have plenty of potential for shunting as well as just running continuous trains. 

2 more Warships ordered this morning, :sungum: Pegasus in Green and Cambrian in Maroon with FYE. Oh dear, :O  I wasn't going to buy any more. :nono:

I prefer Scottish locos but the Warships appeal to me! I don't blame you! I really want to get one maybe a second at a later stage.

Peter

Well just been out and took a couple of photos for reference, I'm going to add the 2 sidings along the back, really for more shunting and also Stock capacity, i.e. changing the running trains from those in the Fiddle Yard, I think once there buried into the landscape and some weeds, a small embankment along behind and a Field above they will look quite natural.

post-9335-0-51688900-1477817030_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-50707800-1477817051_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-29417400-1477817074_thumb.jpg

I did just have a look at putting points at the Station end as well but

''A'' it looked to crowded, and

''B'' it made the loops very short, (about 3ft) so not a lot of use.

The layout's starting to come along now!

I particularly like the track plan, looks like it'll have plenty of potential for shunting as well as just running continuous trains. 

I prefer Scottish locos but the Warships appeal to me! I don't blame you! I really want to get one maybe a second at a later stage.

Peter

Morning Peter, There will be the 2 Main Lines, and a Freight only Branch, plus the Branch to the BLT coming off at Nondore Junction and climb up about 50mm in front of the Fiddle Yard to the pretty little Village of Dore End about 15 Miles North of Bath, (NO it's not on any Maps).

There will also be a line to the small Oil Depot and Loco Depot that can be worked independently for Light Engine movements and Trip workings to and from Willsbridge Yard without interfering with the Main Line Running.

You will also see just past the West Yard Sidings a small Private Siding, this will possibly be another  Warleggens Agricultural Machinery and Animal Foods and Fertilizers

Glad to see you are living up to your knickname of   'ALLTRACK PETERS'   Hahahahahahahaahaha you go for it mate......

I have to keep the faith my Son, you taught me well. hahhah :no:  :no:  :no:

On a more serious note, I want Operation, Shunting and Siding capacity, but still in a natural Rural Setting, I have left room at the back for greenery and also at the front. The Goods Yard will be more Rural than Town and the same behind the Station Building there will just be a small Lane with Fields either side leading to the Station, not the whole Village as I had with Pencarne.

Wow!! That's quite a track layout. Looks like you will be able to have hours of fun shunting through that lot. Looks good mate. Still plenty of room for scenery though which is good. Although Pencarne was brilliant from a scenic point of view this looks much more operationally rewarding.

Looking forward to seeing it progress into another "Bodgit Master piece".

Cheers

Marcus

Well a final sort out of what Points I need for the rest of the Layout and the Fiddle Yard so that I can pick them up on Wednesday ready for my return from Holiday. I'm looking forward to starting the wiring as that means I'll soon have Trains running.

Blimey Andy you haven't even laid any track properly yet and already we're on PAGE 7 ....... :scared:  :scared:  :scared: ...........................some might say all talk and no action but as your regular followers and fans know that's just not the chase.................

This is looking very good my friend is this the real master piece in the making !!!!!!!!! :boast:  :boast:  :boast:

A nice little, ostensibly passing, station where a  bit of remarshalling goes on at certain times of day - only needs two decent (in relation to train length) sidings and you can remarshal two passing freight trains to your hearts content and ev n leave traffic for a third (or pick up off a third).

Thanks Mike, That's the Plan to be able to bring in and swap stuff from the Freight only Branch to the Main Line, possibly again using a random card system, although it will be more complicated than on a BLT it should, if worked out properly, almost avoid repetition of movements or wagon order.

Wow!! That's quite a track layout. Looks like you will be able to have hours of fun shunting through that lot. Looks good mate. Still plenty of room for scenery though which is good. Although Pencarne was brilliant from a scenic point of view this looks much more operationally rewarding.

Looking forward to seeing it progress into another "Bodgit Master piece".

Cheers

Marcus

Thanks Marcus, Sidings and Greenery does that remind you of somewhere? Peak Dale Wood perhaps? hhahhaha

Cheers mate, you must come over for a running session again once its up and running.

Blimey Andy you haven't even laid any track properly yet and already we're on PAGE 7 ....... :scared:  :scared:  :scared: ...........................some might say all talk and no action but as your regular followers and fans know that's just not the chase.................

This is looking very good my friend is this the real master piece in the making !!!!!!!!! :boast:

Thanks Martin, No action for the next week or two as I'm down your neck of the woods again at Bala for 10 Days from next Saturday, but will be firing on ALL CYLINDERS when I get back. :sungum:  :senile:  :senile: :senile:  :senile:  

Archived