Hornby Princess Coronation Class (Duchess)

Dick Turpin

Restricted RA is becoming more of a problem for the big locos as the height has been reduced down to IIRC 13' 1" which many large locos exceed.

A Duchess in original form was just about 13' 3" tall and across the beam a near on 9' 0"  both of which puts it OOG, see the saga with the King which has just had it's height lopped to get main line certification but now fouls the width restrictions with the same across cylinder measurement. Long locos can have throwover problems as well.

Keith

What's the reason for restrictions being reduced?

What's the reason for restrictions being reduced?

Additional ballasting on high speed lines. Inclusion of overhead gantry, changes in NR policy etc.

6023 had a number of modifications to reduce its height, in chimney, RV cover, cab etc, but is now out of gauge on width. 6024 is having much more drastic work done with new cylinders as well as the above work in order to reduce height and width. 

Paul. 

Edited by Paul_sterling

What about using a decal set from Fox (or others?). Assuming you don't seal the decal, there is always the option to remove in future... Something to consider given that this loco will sell out. (It is possible that if Hornby re-run 46256 in Maroon, they might do a yellow stripe version to differentiate if from the first release, though I'd guess that a second batch of the Ivatt duchess will likely be 46257 in Green).

I'm already ahead of you.  :)

https://fox-transfers.co.uk/transfers/not-under-the-wires-yellow-cabside-flashes

Already got etched nameplates from when I was planning on getting the Comet detailing kit.

Jason

My 'bargain' Sir William is on its way........ 

Update Payment Method

You aren't able to modify your payment method for this pre-order.

Items Ordered
  Product Name SKU Qty Price  
r3555_1.jpg

BR 4-6-2 'Sir William A. Stanier F.R.S.' Princess Coronation Class (Modified) Late BR Red

R3555 Ordered: 1 £189.99 Review this product
Order Totals
Subtotal £189.99 Postage & Packing £0.00 Discount (20% off for Completed Survey)-£37.99 Tax £25.33 Total £152.00

Have never pre-ordered a new loco - until now. I've made an exception for Sir William's magnum opus and ordered 'Sir William' (naturally).

And although Grantham 1938 is a somewhat unlikely setting, in due course she (he?) should have a suitable layout to run on.

Looks like not long to wait now...

And although Grantham 1938 is a somewhat unlikely setting, in due course she (he?) should have a suitable layout to run on.

Looks like not long to wait now...

Just don't let the rivet-counters see it.

But more seriously, it is important to test run it ASAP. If there is a serious fault, you will want to get this resolved. It may have sold out but a supplier somewhere is likely to have held some back for this reason.

• RMweb Gold

Both models now arrived into stock and those who have ordered from us will be receiving phone calls shortly, if not already...we weren't expecting to have any left over but a few pre-order cancellations mean we have a few of each left in stock!

Here they are:

24093002518_2dbd6c58bd_b.jpg

Derails Models, on Flickr

24092999078_8af99e62e9_b.jpg

Edited by Derails Models
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Both models now arrived into stock and those who have ordered from us will be receiving phone calls shortly, if not already...we weren't expecting to have any left over but a few pre-order cancellations mean we have a few of each left in stock!

Here they are:

24093002518_2dbd6c58bd_b.jpg

24092999078_8af99e62e9_b.jpg

Drool.....

That loco to tender gap again.  I get a Duchess round 2nd Radius with a scale gap between loco and tender so why the yawning chasm?

Can't see many pudgy fingered 4 year olds getting one for the 25th December multi faith midwinter festival so why the gap.

Oh well I suppose closing gaps and adding weight is the modern equivalent to fitting separate handrails, Romfords and a repaint of 30 years ago.

That loco to tender gap again.  I get a Duchess round 2nd Radius with a scale gap between loco and tender so why the yawning chasm?

Can't see many pudgy fingered 4 year olds getting one for the 25th December multi faith midwinter festival so why the gap.

Oh well I suppose closing gaps and adding weight is the modern equivalent to fitting separate handrails, Romfords and a repaint of 30 years ago.

Depends on the extent of detail between the loco and tender. I suspect you get an old duchess round with a scale gap, but does that have scale representation of intermediate buffers and dragbox detail? On the basis of my experience with the Hornby Britannias it is this detail that prevents 2nd radius running at scale distance.

I suspect this is the situation on the Duchess, but doubtless pictures of the cab/tender area will explain this further.

That loco to tender gap again.

I've just taken delivery of one of the latest Royal Scots from Hornby - that must take the biscuit for loco / tender gaps; (and there's no alternative hole for closer coupling)!

post-2274-0-05009600-1509019409.jpg Copyright Collett's Models

You'd need to be an Olympic pole-vaulter to be a fireman !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk

• RMweb Gold

Looking above, it's already started.... ;)

Don't they have adjustable drawbars? If not it's a simple alteration.

Jason

Agree it is a very simple alteration. Maybe one of us should go on Dragons Den with a business plan for selling replacement shorter tender connections. If the Dragons don't think there is the market we could cite the number of whinges on this site!

• Like 1

I've just taken delivery of one of the latest Royal Scots from Hornby - that must take the biscuit for loco / tender gaps; (and there's no alternative hole for closer coupling)!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Come on John, a man of your ability can make a replacement coupling !! :banghead:

attachicon.gifScot.jpg Copyright Collett's Models

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Mine has a second option for closer coupling... it just arrived today, and I change the distance about 20 minutes ago!

• Like 2

Come on John, a man of your ability can make a replacement coupling !! :banghead:

Of course I can - and have done many times before.

I just wondered why I should have to in this day and age.

Now the (Bachmann?) system of an adjustable sliding pivot point is infinitely better, IMHO.

Regards,

John Isherwood.