Hornby 2017 Range (announcement date)

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Premium

Well spotted - I wonder if we'll see the previously 'cancelled' green 31 in 2017...?

Would be nice!

cheers,

Keith

Class 31 with a new tooled/improved chassis and cab interiors (sort out the electrics for the running lights) would do nicely. Not asking much, other than improved chassis Princess Coronation mentioned another time.

• RMweb Premium

I'm guessing next weeks announcements will be mainly the next set of liveries and numbers for existing tooling (and the hobby does need regular releases of the bread and butter stuff like coaches and wagons and also locomotives provided we aren't swamped with re-releases of a particular loco) but I think they may well include at least one item of new tooling held back from the Warley announcements just to give the day a bit more impact. A new wagon or coach maybe?

• Like 2

Guest 40-something

and into 455's and on to 456's..

Luke

455's and 456's are different body profiles from the PEP stock, being of Mk3 profile as per 150's.  More likely to come from Bachmann if ever.  Which would open up classes 317-22 and also the 210/316/457 prototype

2017 covers several upcoming significant anniversaries, some of which could be catered for by Hornby in various ways: 

20th anniversary - A model of the loco hauling the last BR train, the 2315 Dollands Moor-Wembley, on 21 November 1997 by 92003 Beethoven https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_92

50th anniversary - To mark the final Southern Region steam services, a train pack consisting of a filthy, nameless, Bulleid pacific with three Mk1s in green and blue/grey

4VEP in original 1967 condition - blue with small yellow panels

A class 50 numbered D400

60th anniversary - First Pilot Scheme diesels in service - class 31 D5500 released

70th anniversary - the final year of the Big Four:

Original Merchant Navy with set of Maunsells in malachite

The 2017 Warley Exhibition will be the 50th show for the club. I would imagine/expect various model manufacturers to mark the occasion with new announcements on the day.

• Like 2

I'm guessing next weeks announcements will be mainly the next set of liveries and numbers for existing tooling (and the hobby does need regular releases of the bread and butter stuff like coaches and wagons and also locomotives provided we aren't swamped with re-releases of a particular loco) but I think they may well include at least one item of new tooling held back from the Warley announcements just to give the day a bit more impact. A new wagon or coach maybe?

Ahh, something other than a wishlist. I know it's tempting but still baffles me that after Hornby announced quite a large range of newly tooled items for 2017, people still keep wishing for something more. Unless Wishlisting 2018 has started a little before time (not too early, just 365 days before hand)...  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

• Like 2

Ahh, something other than a wishlist. I know it's tempting but still baffles me that after Hornby announced quite a large range of newly tooled items for 2017, people still keep wishing for something more. Unless Wishlisting 2018 has started a little before time (not too early, just 365 days before hand)...  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Maybe because Warley was a taster and this is the proper announcement?

Don't forget they've been putting clues on social media for the last couple of months. At least two of which haven't been announced.

Jason

If the Warley announcement was a mere taster, they must have found a way to get the Chinese government to commandeer the the entire country's manufacturing capacity so as to cater for the main course! Hey, this might be a plot to undermine the UK's financial stability through mass remortgaging of homes, what with Brexit and all.

• Like 1

Don't forget they've been putting clues on social media for the last couple of months.

The subliminal marketing of the twenty first century. Something Hornby seems to have mastered, calculated of not. :smile_mini:

Look at the Peckett. Yes I know I've contributed.

P  

The subliminal marketing of the twenty first century. Something Hornby seems to have mastered, calculated of not.

They're little blighters at an' all. They seem to have really mastered the art of manipulating of us lot. I tell you they're loving all this froth!

:smile_mini:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Don't forget they've been putting clues on social media for the last couple of months. At least two of which haven't been announced.

Jason

Sorry, you've lost me there. I thought all 'clues' had since been announced, so I am curious - which two clues do you have in mind as not yet having been announced?

John

The ex-LNER CCT in blue would be nice too ....................

I couldn't agree more. Why Hornby have seen fit to produce no fewer than 5 versions of this vehicle in LNER and BR crimson liveries, yet none in BR maroon or blue, is beyond me. However, with the new 'listening' Hornby, hopefully this will change.

Sorry, you've lost me there. I thought all 'clues' had since been announced, so I am curious - which two clues do you have in mind as not yet having been announced?

John

Photographs of red painted inside valve gear? Which looked suspiciously like a CR 812.

Visiting the K&ESR for measurement purposes? Nothing has been announced that they have. It wasn't the Mark Ones as that was done at the Bluebell.

Also don't forget the "50th" on the advent calendar. That's not been announced yet either. Probably an original livery Class 50 or the recently restored 50050.

Even if we are just talking about reliveries there was a whole page of diesel and electrics in one teaser for the catalogue. Including three new Class 71s, two in blue.

The clues are there if you look.

Jason

Jason

Photographs of red painted inside valve gear? Which looked suspiciously like a CR 812.

Visiting the K&ESR for measurement purposes? Nothing has been announced that they have. It wasn't the Mark Ones as that was done at the Bluebell.

Also don't forget the "50th" on the advent calendar. That's not been announced yet either. Probably an original livery Class 50 or the recently restored 50050.

Even if we are just talking about reliveries there was a whole page of diesel and electrics in one teaser for the catalogue. Including three new Class 71s, two in blue.

The clues are there if you look.

Jason

Hi Jason,

Just a pointer - not every clue shown to us in 2016 is meant for 2017. If you look back, Hornby showed us a clue to the SE&CR H Class in 2015 (IIRC, or early in 2016??). Nothing about the H Class was in the 2016 range. the H Class is a 2017 product.

Bear in mind that Hornby have now changed their strategy for announcing products and that is now gone from one chunk of announcements to drip feeding announcements. So ideally a 2018 announcement would come anytime from mid-late 2017.

Hi Jason,

Just a pointer - not every clue shown to us in 2016 is meant for 2017. If you look back, Hornby showed us a clue to the SE&CR H Class in 2015 (IIRC, or early in 2016??). Nothing about the H Class was in the 2016 range. the H Class is a 2017 product.

Bear in mind that Hornby have now changed their strategy for announcing products and that is now gone from one chunk of announcements to drip feeding announcements. So ideally a 2018 announcement would come anytime from mid-late 2017.

That's just guessing though. Nobody knows what they are announcing apart from Hornby and a select few. Hornby in 2017 is a different beast to what it was in 2015. New people in charge for a start.

But they will be announcing models, whether they are reliveries or new models we'll find out on the 4th.

BTW I was answering a question. They posted those clues. Have they been released? No. So they are still unannounced clues. Even if they eventually come out in 2050.

Jason

• Like 2

Wondering if we will see the Mk2e FO in Virgin livery in 2017?

A notable omission from 2016 as only the TSO and BSO were released as such.

Edited by jonathan452

Well I personally think there's no more *NEW TOOLING* announcements to be made... 2017 itself will see a Mk.1 BSO, Mk.1 FO, H Class, Princess Cor, Class 87, B17, Toad and Hitachi IEP Class 800 (consists of 2 or more vehicles to be modeled). That needs a lot of funding and I think there's enough out there.

Obviously there'll be the Skaledale range and re-liveries.

Well I personally think there's no more *NEW TOOLING* announcements to be made...

With this much froth there doesn't need to be, its job done from a profile raising exercise already. If there WAS a new tooling announcement planned they will wisely have put it back under wraps for now, announce all the re-liveried stuff with due fanfare and ceremony, wait a month or so and post some fresh teasers to generate a whole load of extra froth publicity and Hornby fever. Don’t you just love being manipulated? :jester:

Edited by Dick Turpin
  • Like 1

Wondering if we will see the Mk2e FO in Virgin livery in 2017?

A notable omission from 2016 as only the TSO and BSO were released as such.

I hope that's corrected this year, it does seem to be one of Hornby's most glaring admissions. I'd like to see a few more Mk2s in other liveries as well - Could the tooling be modified to create the Mk2 RMB?

Don't want much do you lol.

Not really, just a range of models in a consistent livery! Would you be prepared to fork out 200 or so on a BR Blue 31 if the Blue was far too light and didn't match anything else you've got? It's been a known problem for over a year (see the post below in the Harry Patch thread) and it's disappointing to see the trend continue. Just consistency with the same paint - that's all I'm asking for. None of Hornby's FGWs models match each other over the past 7/8 Years of releases. Come to think of it, the worst was last years offending batch of Mk3s, where neither the TGS (Too Dark), TS/TF (about right) or the roofless buffet (too light) managed to match each other - which when your creating a rake does look pretty silly and is frustrating.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/104731-locomotion-fgw-class-43-harry-patch-we-will-remember-them/?p=2145812

• RMweb Premium

Nothing's been said about Skaledale, but I won't be surprised if a model of the station building that stood at Lyme Regis, now re-erected at Alresford, or the building at Combpyne, which still stands, according to www.disused-stations.org.uk appears in the 2017 range, in order to complement the recently-released Lyme Regis branch train pack.

• RMweb Gold

How about a crimson and cream Gresley full brake, a surprising omission so far?

Did Gresley BGs appear in Crimson and Cream?

I thought it was limited to BGs rostered to front line express passenger work which, in the early 1950s, would mainly have been Thompson ones.

Plain crimson (as opposed to maroon) might be a better bet.

John