Warley National Model Railway Exhibition 25th/26th November 2017

Barry O

• RMweb Premium

Well Stafford Railways Circles layout “Whiteacres” is already loaded in the van for the short journey to the NEC

This will be its 5th outing this year which is quite a achievement for such a large layout - Well done to all the operators

The 2017 SRC 60th Celebration tour has seen the layout at Stafford, York, Perth, Loughborough, Warley

Come and say hello

Eltel

Yesterday I managed to walk over 10km inside Hall 5....lets see how far I walk today...man this Hall is big and...new white LED lighting!

Baz

Great! I can now consider going...

I wondered why the lights didn't match the indicators in the photo of the Autotank on the low loader.

Edited by 298

• RMweb Premium

...new white LED lighting!

I was in Hall 5 last weekend for the Grand Designs Show and it did seem a lot brighter - but then again many were professionally produced stands with their own lighting so that obviously made a difference but in the open areas I didn't notice the orange glow . . . 

Thanks - so that confirms my thoughts when I was there last month . . . . . . . . . . good news for those without their own lights - and of course all those with cameras ! !

• RMweb Premium

Of course, the new lighting will help everyone get a better view of Farkham at the last appearance of this classic and much loved layout . . . . . 

Farkham is now for sale and anyone interested is asked to have a chat with the team at the NEC this weekend. Further information here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/126877-farkham-is-for-sale/

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to say I won't be there (again) though I had an invite from Jamie, as I had a chance to operate on Lancaster Green Ayre, and even that had to take a back seat to jobs domestic.  Free admission, some food provided, hotel provided at Warley is really a dream ticket, but it isn't going to happen for me, regrettably.  I do wish all the exhibitors well, and trust that the layouts operate as intended, and that the great hand from the sky does not need to appear too often, and that there is a gremin proof filter on the doors of the exhibition hall so that the electrics and so on do not fail.

As to the costs of attending - it does seem eye watering in a big way - particulary if you come by car - admission over 25 quid, parking another 20, and food apparently around a tenner - and that's before you visit any traders. 

It is a biggie, and there are layouts that I'd love to see, so I'll reserve judgement on that value for money.

• Like 1

The fact that new LED lighting appears white is good news, but is it truly BRIGHT, even down at exhibitor / visitor level, and is it that awful almost-blue, glare-inducing variety or is it a reasonable "warm" version of LED white with enough spectral spread to give a least a faint hint of realistic colour rendering? I'll see for myself before the day is out......

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to say I won't be there (again) though I had an invite from Jamie, as I had a chance to operate on Lancaster Green Ayre, and even that had to take a back seat to jobs domestic.  Free admission, some food provided, hotel provided at Warley is really a dream ticket, but it isn't going to happen for me, regrettably.  I do wish all the exhibitors well, and trust that the layouts operate as intended, and that the great hand from the sky does not need to appear too often, and that there is a gremin proof filter on the doors of the exhibition hall so that the electrics and so on do not fail.

As to the costs of attending - it does seem eye watering in a big way - particulary if you come by car - admission over 25 quid, parking another 20, and food apparently around a tenner - and that's before you visit any traders. 

It is a biggie, and there are layouts that I'd love to see, so I'll reserve judgement on that value for money.

Let’s not debate the costs again, it’s been done to death.

• RMweb Premium

The fact that new LED lighting appears white is good news, but is it truly BRIGHT, even down at exhibitor / visitor level, and is it that awful almost-blue, glare-inducing variety or is it a reasonable "warm" version of LED white with enough spectral spread to give a least a faint hint of realistic colour rendering? I'll see for myself before the day is out......

So the lighting has been updated which is good news, let’s now not start a debate on the colour temperature of the lighting it’s a exhibition hall and is used 365 days a year not just the Warley weekend.

Enjoy the exhibition

Eltel

Tickets are 16 quid on the day, not 25. You can take your own food, or get something for just over a fiver. Parking alternatives have been discussed on here before.

Very rare to get a layout back more than once.

May I refer the honourable Gentleman to this quote from another show's thread earlier this year:

Surprisingly, as the owner of ‘Crewlisle’.....

.....it has been exhibited at the Warley NEC show five times..... 

So overall, appearing at the Warley NEC show 5 times....

So the lighting has been updated which is good news, let’s now not start a debate on the colour temperature of the lighting it’s a exhibition hall and is used 365 days a year not just the Warley weekend.

Enjoy the exhibition

Eltel

I believe that statement to be a vast exaggeration, unless you include storing fresh air in it's use. Anyway, the background lighting is only there to light the gangways between stands/just for setting up & dismantling, blah blah blah....

• RMweb Premium

I believe that statement to be a vast exaggeration, unless you include storing fresh air in it's use. Anyway, the background lighting is only there to light the gangways between stands/just for setting up & dismantling, blah blah blah....

Your point is ?

• RMweb Premium

Enjoy the exhibition

Eltel

Maybe not 365 days ELTEL, but we get what you are saying.

• Like 1

Oh come on... a Warley thread wouldn't be a Warley thread without a healthy dose of bickering.

I'm not going and in fact I'll be offline most of tomorrow. That said, I'll probably have something to complain about by teatime. Don't take that away from me.

:no:

Edited by Pete 75C

• RMweb Gold

My genuine sympathies, I'm another one who, for various reasons, isn't really in a position to attend this show most years.

In preparation for tomorrow, I've just wiped my armpits with a couple of old trouts, eaten a massive bowl of All Bran and prepared my army surplus marines backpack which I've stuffed full with bubble wrap to protect my one planned purchase of n gauge rail joiners, mustn't forget to put on my Goth metal plated boots and a super hot winter fleece that I wore on holiday to Egypt every day whilst hiking the desert.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

In preparation for tomorrow, I've just wiped my armpits with a couple of old trouts, eaten a massive bowl of All Bran and prepared my army surplus marines backpack which I've stuffed full with bubble wrap to protect my one planned purchase of n gauge rail joiners, mustn't forget to put on my Goth metal plated boots and a super hot winter fleece that I wore on holiday to Egypt every day whilst hiking the desert.

Spectacular. You should hold a masterclass in how to prepare for such events.

The hair, don't forget the hair. It should be shaggy and unkempt with remnants of last night's pizza...

Dave.

Who also won't be there, just because.

Edited by davefrk

• RMweb Premium

I've now copped the full set

I visited Warley last year for the first time. A great show but my abiding memory was that it was very crowded and as such became uncomfortable at times.

I see that there are 4 real locos at this years show, as there were last year. I find this strange given the pressure on space. Yes, they'll be nice to see, but people who have decided to visit Warley, will be going to see a Model Railway Show. I doubt anyone is thinking 'Oh, I must go to Warley tomorrow because there's a full size loco on the Hornby stand I'd love to see'.

Obviously, like anyone else, I enjoy seeing a real loco, even if kettles/narrow gauge or whatever are not my thing. I visit a lot of Heritage Railways, and always enjoying seeing the small model railway or display case of models that they invariably have. However, my reason for visiting is to see the Heritage Line, not to see if they've got a model railway on display or not.

• Like 1