Bachmann announce Midland 1P, Class 20/3, BEP buffet car, VEA, Prestwin and Carflat

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

If you folks are trying to conjure up a pun based on the letter p = penny, I should remind you that prior to decimalisation in February 1971 the abbreviation for penny was d, from the Latin denarius.

Spoilsport! :-)

Yes it will be 92211

Re-allocated to Eastleigh in August 1961, went into the works for it's first shopping (light casual) in the October. So there's a minimum of 2 months where it could've carried the dreaded blue spot ( even if the model version is oversize !?).

• RMweb Gold

The Midland 0-4-4 1P tank, whilst a delightful little locomotive, seems a very curious choice for a main manufacturer to produce as I do not think it has featured at all in previous years "wish list" polls. This would seem to be a locomotive which is very much of minority interest and I suppose that Bachmann hope that it will sell on the basis that it can be provided in a number of attractive liveries.

However what is the point of forums like this having "wish list" polls if manufacturers simply ignore them. I appreciate that Bachmann have probably done their own market research and perhaps this research tells them that this is the right locomotive to produce but I must admit I do have my doubts that it will sell that well, but perhaps I'll be proved wrong.

Sandra

Sorry but I think you are way off here.

The decision by Bachmann to produce a Johnson 0.4.4T is spot on.

Long career, multiple liveries ( Midland, S&DJR, LM&SR and British Railways), big deployment from north west to Hampshire.

It was a big gap in their range of small Midland locos, now filled. These will prove to be popular. No doubt.

It's an obvious choice.

Rob.

Prestwin (you can pretty much guarantee it will be the 1/274 10ft WB version - same as the Airfix kit) 

I believe it will be 1/277 (the old taller Hornby one) so I won't be chucking my early Airfix ones out.

• Like 1

I doubt it, Bachmann tend to do prototypical liveries, 85s never carried dominoes as far as I can tell, I can't find a single photo of an 85 with dominoes.

Andi

I wonder if some people are remembering them with black painted headcode panels?

Roy

Am I missing some nuance here?  I remember all the AC types having examples with dominoes (not 87s before someone clarifies), as I used to assuage my tendencies by noting in my Locoshed books with a special symbol.

So unless I'm very much mistaken, here's one, possibly the only one:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2828/10233534983_90fa962277_b.jpg

And I didn't remember any black painted panels, but here is 018 with the feature:

http://thumbs2.picclick.com/d/l400/pict/222207435609_/Colour-Photo-of-BR-Class-85-Electric-Loco.jpg

• Like 2

I believe it will be 1/277 (the old taller Hornby one) so I won't be chucking my early Airfix ones out.

That may be the wrong way; round 1/277 was the lower (Airfix) one, 1/274 being the taller (Hornby) one. Anyway Bachmann said it was not the Airfix diagram.

• RMweb Gold

Am I missing some nuance here?  I remember all the AC types having examples with dominoes (not 87s before someone clarifies), as I used to assuage my tendencies by noting in my Locoshed books with a special symbol.

So unless I'm very much mistaken, here's one, possibly the only one:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2828/10233534983_90fa962277_b.jpg

And I didn't remember any black painted panels, but here is 018 with the feature:

http://thumbs2.picclick.com/d/l400/pict/222207435609_/Colour-Photo-of-BR-Class-85-Electric-Loco.jpg

Well found my friend, that's the only photo of one so treated I've come across

Andi

I wouldn't know (as it's GW ;)) but this is Bachmann's pic.

attachicon.gif32-007s.jpg

It resembles a typical toy loco from years back. There should be no lining on the black areas post-war. As someone suggested, it might represent a preserved example.  If the DCC plug remains an afterthought in a little pocket beneath the cab, it is positively 'sound-unfriendly' compared with the ease of fitting DCC sound to Hornby locos.

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

The Midland 0-4-4 1P tank, whilst a delightful little locomotive, seems a very curious choice for a main manufacturer to produce as I do not think it has featured at all in previous years "wish list" polls. This would seem to be a locomotive which is very much of minority interest and I suppose that Bachmann hope that it will sell on the basis that it can be provided in a number of attractive liveries.

However what is the point of forums like this having "wish list" polls if manufacturers simply ignore them. I appreciate that Bachmann have probably done their own market research and perhaps this research tells them that this is the right locomotive to produce but I must admit I do have my doubts that it will sell that well, but perhaps I'll be proved wrong.

Sandra

The Midland tank has regularly figured in the Annual Poll, though it only attracts mid-range support.

In 2016 it got 171 votes, roughly half what the most popular choice, the Swindon Class 120 Cross-country DMu, received (347).

In addition to its "home turf", the Johnson 0-4-4T is a fairly pivotal loco for modellers of the Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway between (roughly) 1920 and 1960. Bachmann have already produced quite a few items suited to that line and it may well have been chosen as a gap-filler aimed at a market segment that generates consistently good sales.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

Personally, im quite pleased with the selection. The Virgin 47 was something I've been waiting on for a while, didn't fancy the repaint. EWS next please Bachmann. The grey 08 is also nice. I was disappointed the orange SPT class 101 wasn't announced however, there is enough other things to save for

I doubt it, Bachmann tend to do prototypical liveries, 85s never carried dominoes as far as I can tell, I can't find a single photo of an 85 with dominoes.

Andi

post-23091-0-08162200-1483901189_thumb.jpg

Appears to be 85 035 at Carlisle in 1980.

I think it had lost it's dominoes by mid 1980's as I have other pictures with it having marker lights by then.

• Like 2

The Midland 1P looks a lovely little loco to model and I'm sure it'll sell like hotcakes; seems to be an emerging trend for attractive Victorian/ Edwardian tank engines at the moment- if you model the south or the north west.  Pretty please can those of us modelling the east have one too?

Spital Bridge and Lincoln both had allocations of these 1Ps at various times in pre-BR days.