RMweb

New brand, new model - Rails Limited - LNER Dynamometer car

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian, this is the best I can do

attachicon.gifdynamometer car.jpg

The image is creative commons, and from the Hoather Collection on the NRM website.

Personally speaking, I think that in the main, this part of the conversation has been pretty civilized. You want to read some of the posts on the more specialized forum that has been talking about this; one poster on there has been particularly rabid! On here, most people have taken part in the mystery simply to find out the truth and have enjoyed chasing down the information. I doubt anyone was really hoping the evidence indicates that the Dynamometer car had been lined.

People are saying we are in a post-truth, post-fact world, so I think it's good to see people taking the time to search out the information and follow it no matter where it led them. That said, everyone can interpret the above image as they wish - personally I have no doubts, but if you don't agree with me, then that's fair enough.

I do agree with you that it's too late to worry about it now. And I am still in awe of Jason and the rest of the staff at Rapido with regards to the models that they put out.

It's still a beautiful model.

Even without it's make-up on.

cheers

Jason

Totally agree. It looks to be a fantastic model. I can't wait to get my mitts on it. Will I be disappointed if it *should* be lined but isn't - a little bit yes, of course. Will I be demanding a refund? Heck no! It's a million times better than I could do.

Rails might have decided not to go the extra mile for lining out, hence the publicity for no lining. I know from a lifetime of business experience that there reaches a point where you simply do not throw any more money at a job or product when the ceiling is always the amount buyers are prepared to pay. Ordinary passenger corridor coaches were lined out before the war and the Dynamometer Car was a very special vehicle. I am not going to repeat myself concerning lining. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

What I would like to say is that even if it becomes irrefutable that there was lining, at least it can be added to the model, whereas if it was on and it was found it shouldn't have it, then that would be a headache to remove.

Edit: and for adding it, the services of the likes of coachmann come into focus ;)

Edited by Ian J.
  • Like 2

Hi, 

Just to confirm the initial batch of Version 1 (1938 Mallard run) models have arrived. Orders are being processed in date order so customers who were quick off the mark placing orders will be receiving them shortly. 

The remaining shipment of V1 models and all stock of V2 models is due to be with us toward the end of next week. We will then start to process all remaining order.

Many thanks
Oliver

Hi, 

Just to confirm the initial batch of Version 1 (1938 Mallard run) models have arrived. Orders are being processed in date order so customers who were quick off the mark placing orders will be receiving them shortly. 

The remaining shipment of V1 models and all stock of V2 models is due to be with us toward the end of next week. We will then start to process all remaining order.

Many thanks

Oliver

Thanks Oliver

If we paid a deposit, should we pay the outstanding now or wait for the email.

Many thanks

Gary

• RMweb Premium

Hi, 

Many thanks

Oliver

Ah, that explains it. I'm waiting for the 1948 model.

• RMweb Gold

Wow!

Mine has just arrived.

The level of detail is very good.  Almost everything is fitted during manufacturing and there is a small bag containing (display only) screw link couplings, hoses and etched grilles to be fitted by the owner.  There are no couplings, just NEM pockets at the ends of the bogies which seems unusual but I would only remove them anyway, although the instructions suggest couplings are included since they say to remove the hook and loop couplings before fitting the screw link ones.

Recording wheel fully in register.  Bogie wheels plain metal.  Roof pale grey.  Teak effect very convincing with the dots not visible at normal viewing distance.  I don't own one of the Hornby teaks from the period when their painting was good, so I cannot compare.  I suspect I would prefer Rapido's version.

Well done to Rapido and Rails.

There's even a magic wand!#  Though no matter how many times I wave it at the coach, I can't seem to get the lining to appear.

# For turning the lighting on and off.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Yes, but apart from the obvious problem that my wallet has just gone into hiding, that's a West Riding set with a Coronation observation car and three more coaches than you'd need to recreate the train for Mallard's record breaking run.  :no:

• Like 1

Wow!

Mine has just arrived.

The level of detail is very good.  Almost everything is fitted during manufacturing and there is a small bag containing (display only) screw link couplings, hoses and etched grilles to be fitted by the owner.  There are no couplings, just NEM pockets at the ends of the bogies which seems unusual but I would only remove them anyway, although the instructions suggest couplings are included since they say to remove the hook and loop couplings before fitting the screw link ones.

Recording wheel fully in register.  Bogie wheels plain metal.  Roof pale grey.  Teak effect very convincing with the dots not visible at normal viewing distance.  I don't own one of the Hornby teaks from the period when their painting was good, so I cannot compare.  I suspect I would prefer Rapido's version.

Well done to Rapido and Rails.

There's even a magic wand!#  Though no matter how many times I wave it at the coach, I can't seem to get the lining to appear.

# For turning the lighting on and off.

Hi,

Good to hear that you have received your dynamometer car!

The coach should have the couplings fitted to it inside the box. The others we have we have checked and all have the couplings fitted. Yours must have slipped through net! Please accept my appologies and if you change your mind and decide you do require them I will happily forward a set onto you.

Many thanks

Oliver @ Rails

• Like 1