New brand, new model - Rails Limited - LNER Dynamometer car

Andy Y

My Dyno Car car with some minor work done, to tone down the showroom finish. 

The end brass etches have been added and painted with Humbrol No 62 Leather as have the Bogie Wheels. The 5th Measuring wheel and buffers have been painted Matt Black and the Toilet window Grey both using water colour, this will allow easy removal if the model is ever sold on .

post-7186-0-72976700-1532618668.jpeg

post-7186-0-29164400-1532618940.jpeg

post-7186-0-38988900-1532618702.jpeg

post-7186-0-06621900-1532618717.jpeg
Edited by micklner
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Hi, 

The remaining shipment of V1 models and all stock of V2 models is due to be with us toward the end of next week. We will then start to process all remaining order.

Many thanks

Oliver

Has V2 come into stock yet as suggested here please Oliver.

My Dyno Car car with some minor work done, to tone down the showroom finish. 

The end brass etches have been added and painted with Humbrol No 62 Leather as have the Bogie Wheels. The 5th Measuring wheel and buffers have been painted Matt Black and the Toilet window Grey both using water colour, this will allow easy removal if the model is ever sold on .

Can you take a photo with light shining on the raised parts, put it in black and white and see if it gives the illusion of lining? :P

• Like 1

I pretty much hate all internal lighting that has been added to RTR until now - it's always way too bright and white. But this... now this looks very good ndeed. That lovely warm - but low-wattage - yellow glow from the naked bulbs.

I haven't ordered one of these, them not being seen much on the M&GN or GER branchlines, but I have to say I'm now tempted. Oooh. Very pretty.

Paul

My layout is to be GE and I still could not resist the pull :D

Is the 1951 condition of the Dynamometer Car established as still being the same as during the 1948 Locomotive Exchanges? I've just come across a photograph taken by G R Mortimer on 6th June 1951 of 70006 Robert Burns hauling the down 'East Anglian' on Brantham Bank, just north of the R Stour crossing, with the Dynamometer Car leading followed by two teak carriages (strengtheners) followed by the remainder of the 'East Anglian' set already finished in the new crimson and cream livery. It's a distance shot so impossible to make out what writing is where on the Dynamometer Car.

It had been on the preceding up working with the purpose of collecting data in preparation for the Norwich and Cromer service accelerations that followed the introduction of the Britannia class to Stratford.

A good enough excuse for an ex-GE layout...

• Like 1

I'm still patiently awaiting the arrival of my pre-war version. I'm a GWR nut really, so I know relatively little of the LNER - a couple of questions here then for the better informed than I ;- 

In the images in post #652 by micklner, the metal grilles over the end windows are shown. The actual images taken on the day of the Mallards record run do not appear to show these grilles, so;-

a) Were these fitted after this date - thus they are intended for the post-war version...?

b) Are these easily removable?

Many Thanks  :senile:  :boast:  :senile:

The grills are present. Unfortunately when scaled down to 4mm they cannot be produced fine enough so are more obvious.

Thanks Mike. This image of Mallard and the Dyno' Car on the day of the record was posted earlier in this thread. Is the mesh too fine to be seen in this image?

post-32202-0-60298300-1532965699_thumb.jpg

Guest spet0114

Quick question, how many people who read this thread are still waiting for their V1 Dynamometer Car?

Called Rails this afternoon to pay off the balance on my Dyno car.

Chap on the phone said that all(*) the outstanding models were now in the country and they're working their way through the list.

So I'd expect your model soon.....

(*) Presumably this means both versions

Quick question, how many people who read this thread are still waiting for their V1 Dynamometer Car?

Mine landed in Australia last Thursday - although I confess I was pretty quick in getting in line for one (assuming Rails are fulfilling on a first come first served basis...)

Mine landed in Australia last Thursday - although I confess I was pretty quick in getting in line for one (assuming Rails are fulfilling on a first come first served basis...)

lucky you I ordered mine on day 2 at the York Show 2017 still waiting to be asked to pay the remaining amount 

Email received this morning from Rails, V2 appears to be on its way 48 hours tracked.....

Keith

Does this photo prove that the dynamometer car was painted crimson and cream by BR?

post-2274-0-16245200-1533035145.jpg

Only kidding !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Got the dispatch email for a version 2 one today :)

48 hour tracked, so not long now

Heralded by two separate emails which took a certain amount of checking through orders and cc balance to decipher.At first glance it appeared I'd ordered 2....but no,just that it meant one for the deposit and one for the balance

• RMweb Gold

Must be the first time I've seen people happy to be on the receiving end of V1s and V2s.

:offtopic: If the V2s had not stopped coming in when they did I would probably have been born in the depths of South Wales. One V2 landed in South East London (near Shooters Hill) quite close to where my parents lived and it was decided that Mum (who was carrying me at that time ) would move down to friends in South Wales until things returned to normal.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Heralded by two separate emails which took a certain amount of checking through orders and cc balance to decipher.At first glance it appeared I'd ordered 2....but no,just that it meant one for the deposit and one for the balance

I've just sussed that out as well!! Obviously their system classes "deposits paid" as "deliveries"....

Keith