New brand, new model - Rails Limited - LNER Dynamometer car

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Last recorded test was:

12th Oct 1951: Hunslet 500HP Diesel.

Not to sidetrack, but what exactly was a Hunslet 500hp diesel ?

Class 05 was half that, so was most of the rest of their products.

Was it for overseas use ? - I found this from 1952, an export for Peru.

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/images/9/99/Im1952EnV193-p5a.jpg

Was the dynanometer car hired /loaned out ?

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

How many were made? If it was just one, then it'll be sure to get made by a commissioner/manufacturer eventually ;)

This says was for Peru - http://www.leedsengine.info/leeds/histhe.asp

Possibly 4 of them using Paxman engines - http://www.paxmanhistory.org.uk/paxrailt.htm

Little bit more info on this page: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/9131-british-built-locos-abroad/page-2

Edited by Bucoops

The "Teak graining" still looks like Black dots in the close ups ?

I cannot see a reason for the numerous Black areas on the Teak Finish anyway, they are not on the prototype .

Edited by micklner

The first image in post #1 definately shows yellow lining around the upper panels. If it is not lining I certainly took it as such.

Plus a Grey Roof and no Black bits !!!.

Has it ever been confirmed if it was a actually lined out pre war. Some comments on photos have I have seen/read stated that it is a trick of the light/simply shading on the panels ?

Edited by micklner

I will let you decide for yourself.

We know that the LNER repainted pre-grouping coaches in "Teak" finish with lining where possible. A good example of this can be seen on this coach at Mangapps which is a Luggage Composite Carriage no 65875 built by the Great Eastern in 1888. It was withdrawn in 1930 and used as a hen house. Note the lining style in primrose around the beading:

post-3717-0-45741300-1528924307_thumb.jpg

post-3717-0-28950600-1528924320_thumb.jpg

post-3717-0-53423900-1528924336_thumb.jpg

Now for the Dynamometer Car. First a couple of image captures from that Hush Hush Car video from 1927:

post-3717-0-84482300-1528924404_thumb.jpg

post-3717-0-48582700-1528924417_thumb.jpg

And finally an extract from 1938 and Mallard's run:

post-3717-0-21487600-1528924476_thumb.jpg

So lined or a trick of the light?

Edited by MikeTrice
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Is the earlier version going to be lined? It's the one i have ordered and the above photos do seem to show it lined for that period.

I'm not overly concerned with the dots as they are only (to me) apparent when zoomed in and I won't be staring at it. But the lack of lining is concerning.

Must admit that there are a few things with the dynomometer car that I find less than perfect.(Teak finish, lack of lining and the speed wheel printing issue) I think / hope it's just the high magnification of the video clip which would be unkind to the very best model. I'm not tempted to cancel my order, but it's not the 'game-changer' I thought it would be, especially at the price being charged. 

• RMweb Gold

I am stunned by comments regarding the pixilation for the teak. To my mind it is one of the best representation we have had of a very complex livery.

At normal running / viewing distances those dots are surely not going to show? If you want to take photos and blow them up to life-size or stand there with your noses so close to the model that you can see the dots, I think it is time for you to get a new hobby (or accept that no model will ever satisfy).

It seems yet again that a model that we are lucky to have at all is being ripped apart by a select few.

Roy

I am stunned by comments regarding the pixilation for the teak. To my mind it is one of the best representation we have had of a very complex livery.

At normal running / viewing distances those dots are surely not going to show? If you want to take photos and blow them up to life-size or stand there with your noses so close to the model that you can see the dots, I think it is time for you to get a new hobby (or accept that no model will ever satisfy).

It seems yet again that a model that we are lucky to have at all is being ripped apart by a select few.

Roy

its not being ripped apart.

The Black areas have no reason for being there ?, as to the dots effect again why are they necessary ? It appears to have a beautiful Teak graining effect, why would they then add the last Black layer which is totally unnecessary?.

Nothing hysterical etc etc ,a reasonable observation and question to the makers.

• Like 1

The Black areas have no reason for being there ?, as to the dots effect again why are they necessary ? It appears to have a beautiful Teak graining effect, why would they then add the last Black layer which is totally unnecessary?..

Halftone over-printing is used to convey graduated tones to give more tonal variation than individual tampo processes can do. It is only in close-up images that you can see how the effect is achieved, not with the naked eye. Factory production does not cater for hand-painting.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

its not being ripped apart.

The Black areas have no reason for being there ?, as to the dots effect again why are they necessary ? It appears to have a beautiful Teak graining effect, why would they then add the last Black layer which is totally unnecessary?.

Nothing hysterical etc etc ,a reasonable observation and question to the makers.

I made no mention of the black areas - so I am unsure why you bring them into your reply.

Does the model look right at normal running  / viewing distances or not? To my mind, and it appears many others, the answer is yes. Therefore, the pixilation is irrelevant, it has been used to achieve the right look.

Our models are full of compromises which, if we study them at close range or in enlarged photos, make them look horrendous. I don't see demands of manufacturers to explain the use of screws to hold coupling rods in place etc. Very obvious in zoomed photos and not at all prototypical.

There were lots of comments regarding how good the model looked, then somebody spotted the dots, since then there have been many posts on the dots - some being very critical.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge