RMweb

• RMweb Gold

I've made up the framework for the control panel:

post-57-0-46393100-1533238403.jpg

The laminated layout diagram will be mounted on some 60 thou plasticard, which will also carry the Gaugemaster controller. Holes will be drilled in the fascia for the various toggle switches in due course:

post-57-0-63579000-1533238462.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Do you prefer the panel-mounted controller to a hand-held version?

Edit: On closer inspection it appears you will be having both...

Edited by Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

Just been catching up, very nice work Captain.

Apologies if I have missed it, but how do you find the noise level of the Cobalts? I was surprised at how noisy mine are. I'm trying to work out if my layout amplifies the noise or if it's a general issue.

Meanwhile, Rob has just unknowingly taught me the correct English spelling of:

Marmalade.

Need to change some 4mm signs now!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

What larks!

Indeed.

Not a job I have been overly looking forward to, but by taking it one step at a time, it's not too bad and there is a certain theraputic element to it, I suppose. At least I should be able to put this baseboard on it's edge to access the underside, rather than scrabbling around on the floor, trying to solder upside down.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Indeed.

Not a job I have been overly looking forward to, but by taking it one step at a time, it's not too bad and there is a certain theraputic element to it, I suppose. At least I should be able to put this baseboard on it's edge to access the underside, rather than scrabbling around on the floor, trying to solder upside down.

On a positive, at least you have a bottom to access......

• RMweb Gold

Further work on the control panel sees the fascia complete and a start made on the wiring behind. The first things to get wired up are the inputs for the two controller options and their 12v DC outputs. As such, I was able to control one of my locos on the test track using the new control panel earlier.

post-57-0-76287700-1533496867.jpg

post-57-0-11043900-1533496878.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Starting to fit the Cobalt point motors:

post-57-0-05511300-1533726616.jpg

post-57-0-15889200-1533726624.jpg

The 'spacer' pieces are 12mm ply (actually measures out at 11.5mm), which together with the thickness of the 6mm ply forming the baseboard top, is sufficient to ensure that the end of the Cobalt operating wire doesn't protrude above the tie bars (this was really by accident rather than design).

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Very neat and professional looking.

I'm going to commission CK to make me a huge Panel for the whole of the LSWR main line from Axminster to Honiton via Seaton Junction (and Branch). I know he wants to do that and learn about DCC as well.......................................................... :scared:  

I shall pay him in sausages.

Duckmeister

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Some, out of some more, what may or may not be Cobalts, or other makes of point motor or motors of undetermined definition, may or may not have been installed or otherwise fixed to the underside, or topside depending upon your own personal orientation, of a layout set in south Wales with a North Walian name.

• RMweb Gold

Some, out of some more, what may or may not be Cobalts, or other makes of point motor or motors of undetermined definition, may or may not have been installed or otherwise fixed to the underside, or topside depending upon your own personal orientation, of a layout set in south Wales with a North Walian name.

I could almost have not put that better myself.