2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

Sadly I can't be with Damian and John this weekend but, based on experience, I'm sure they will indeed have a heavy session. There may also be some modelling but I'm guessing lots of banter and food.

Guys don't forget to dig out the Treneglos drapes which will be needed for the Spalding show (week before Warley).

All the best all.

Sadly I can't be with Damian and John this weekend but, based on experience, I'm sure they will indeed have a heavy session. There may also be some modelling but I'm guessing lots of banter and food.

Guys don't forget to dig out the Treneglos drapes which will be needed for the Spalding show (week before Warley).

All the best all.

Progress

You may be wondering what we got done at the weekend???????

We ate a cake!!

post-8734-0-50039500-1317646867_thumb.jpg

It was my Birthday - I'm 26!!

Yes yes I know - but I had a hard paper round......

Edited by Indomitable026
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I started counting backwards when I hit 40...which brings me in at around 35 now... ;)

Happy Birthday anyway...nice weathering on the cake too...

Edited by bcnPete

OK, more of the first sort of photo then...

Can you tell where we stopped off on the way to Truro?

HI Guys

If i know you where coming down my way ,you could have poped in for a cup of tea,as i only live down the road from Okehampton .

Good luck with Warley, sorry won't be thier this year, but will be at warley next year.

Darren

• Like 1

OK, more of the first sort of photo then...

Can you tell where we stopped off on the way to Truro?

HI Guys

If i know you where coming down my way ,you could have poped in for a cup of tea,as i only live down the road from Okehampton .

Good luck with Warley, sorry won't be thier this year, but will be at warley next year.

Darren

Nice one - thanks for the offer Darren, maybe next time although, currently, we dont have an 'excuse' to come down to the south west next year.

boo hoo

Shades of Laira Blue 50's?

Click on link http://railwayherald.org/imaging.centre/showimage.php?image=209563&gallery=X4&raildiary=2011-10-04

This is not my picture, but I have spotted this loco parked at Doncaster for the last few days but not been able to get a shot of it. There is also a very good shot on therailwaycentre.com - todays pic of the day (07 October 2011)

It struck me that the livery resembled laira blue as applied to the Engineers 50's in the DCWA pool in the early nineties and it warranted a second look.

Don't get me wrong though, I will never bring myself to like these modern machines - they sound like washing machines on fast spin to me.

• RMweb Gold

Don't get me wrong though, I will never bring myself to like these modern machines - they sound like washing machines on fast spin to me.

Isn't the sound due to the fact that the 710G prime mover, like the 567 and 645 before it, are all 2-stroke diesels, whereas those of us more used to Sulzer designs are attuned to 4-stroke sounds?

Isn't the sound due to the fact that the 710G prime mover, like the 567 and 645 before it, are all 2-stroke diesels, whereas those of us more used to Sulzer designs are attuned to 4-stroke sounds?

Well its the 'Splat splat splat splat' of a 50 engine that really does it for me.

In fact if it was legal I would marry that sound on the bank out of Exeter.....

Sooo, have Murican things always been 2 stroke? I'm worried now i'm buying these locos for 'Owd Grinders' murican project (once upon a time in the west) and they all sound like washing machines?

I feal a few nighmares coming on tonight.....

• RMweb Gold

No, while the GM products have - at least until 710, I'm not sure whether emission issues may have prompted a rethink since then - always been 2-stroke, Alco, their main rival until the mid-60s, were always 4-stroke, which is why US enthusiasts think Sulzers sound a bit similar. GE, who only really got into volume production in the early '60s, and became a very real threat to GM's prior dominance (itself a dubious by-product of wartime controls) have always been 4-stroke, too.