2ManySpams

Vulcan Bomber - what a great name!!

I'm looking at a couple of pic's on my wall I took of 558 flying over my house.

Thanks for the compliment on the layout

The backscene is MDF painted with 'sky' first by my artistic friend 'Owd Gringer'. We then applied gaugemaster backscenes with the sky cut off (i.e. the hills only). The reason we did this is that the sky on the gaugemaster backscene is not very deep. We needed it a lot deeper.

Here she is...

post-8734-0-17814200-1314449246_thumb.jpg

That gives me an idea.

Vulcan sounds on the layout....

• Like 3

Here she is...

post-8734-0-17814200-1314449246_thumb.jpg

That gives me an idea.

Vulcan sounds on the layout....

Great shot of the Vulcan Damian. If you are going to put the Vulcan sounds on the layout, make it the howl of one climbing from take off can you ;)

Colin

• RMweb Gold

Hi Damian,

Thanks for posting the photos showing the breakdown - useful to see how other people pack their layouts. One question though, and apologies if you have already covered this, but am I correct in thinking that the three boards stack one on top of the other, resting / securing to the end boards? Do you have a photo showing how these are packed in the van?

Good to see that the end boards have served another purpose as 'steps' to reach the rear / higher parts of the layout!

Shame the breakdown photos weren't in the form of a video - I could imagine it as a Benny Hill type sketch if watched speeded up. Nice to see how the layout is presented, quality finish to the whole layout, not just the "layout". Who manufactures the figures you use?. It makes such a difference seeing people that look like people, not something from Dr Who episode!

Mention of the Vulcan sound being incorporated in the layout brings me to a point I raised when discussing the layout at Truro.

Having spent two days sitting not too far from some gentlemen demonstrating D C C diesels, at the Plymouth show the previous weekend, it was pleasant to hear the St Blazey stock emitting a "scale" sound and not the vast volume which destroys the total impression of the loco found elsewhere.

Now how can you tone down the aircraft sound?

Damian

It was great to see the layout again - inspirational! I spent a fair part of my late teens at St Blazey, going to school in Snozzel (St Austell in English) and the layout provides happy memories.

I particularly like the buildings and wish I had the time to build similar.

Hopefully will see you again at another show.

Andrew (KMRC)

Hi Damian,

Thanks for posting the photos showing the breakdown - useful to see how other people pack their layouts. One question though, and apologies if you have already covered this, but am I correct in thinking that the three boards stack one on top of the other, resting / securing to the end boards? Do you have a photo showing how these are packed in the van?

Good to see that the end boards have served another purpose as 'steps' to reach the rear / higher parts of the layout!

Here's a pic of boards stacked in the van.

post-8734-0-49509900-1314531721_thumb.jpg

This picture shows the end plate detail. They are so arranged so that the boards just drop in on top of each other, also note that end plate is not tight up against the baseboard, its actually spaced off a little to prevent damage to track and scenery edges.

post-8734-0-08217600-1314531952_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Mention of the Vulcan sound being incorporated in the layout brings me to a point I raised when discussing the layout at Truro.

Having spent two days sitting not too far from some gentlemen demonstrating D C C diesels, at the Plymouth show the previous weekend, it was pleasant to hear the St Blazey stock emitting a "scale" sound and not the vast volume which destroys the total impression of the loco found elsewhere.

Surely that is the answer to being next to a layout or demo with very loud DCC locos is to suddenly drown them out with the sound of a vulcan on full throttle! :stinker:

• Like 1

Talking of beer and pasties........the minikeg was my raffle prize (past tense - now empty) and the pastie is from Berrymans of Redruth (my personal favourite - I brought a box home).

post-1074-0-63620300-1314401543_thumb.jpg

'Lilian' is what we did on the way home - Launston

post-1074-0-48409100-1314401686_thumb.jpg

Interesting to see the gradual breakdown of the exhibition behind you. Thanks for posting the pics - reminder of a cracking weekend.

Jerry

Sounds familiar, we did trains on the way back too.........

post-8734-0-91667500-1314557521_thumb.jpg

Look at the paint job on that......

post-8734-0-00485200-1314557627_thumb.jpg

and that... tea anyone?

post-8734-0-47085700-1314557720_thumb.jpg

The cute little thing 'Gringo' liked

post-8734-0-61592700-1314557821_thumb.jpg

and the cute little thing I liked - Superb!!

• Like 1

Great layout you sould realy try and find low calorie pasties ,pleased to see ametion of John Greenwood he used to live in my part of the world his layouts always were superb with great detail.Packing up after a show I think is the worst part of the event you always seem to find something is not were it should be.Keep up the good work and enjoy your pasties..

Great layout you sould realy try and find low calorie pasties ,pleased to see ametion of John Greenwood he used to live in my part of the world his layouts always were superb with great detail.Packing up after a show I think is the worst part of the event you always seem to find something is not were it should be.Keep up the good work and enjoy your pasties..

Thanks for your kind comments.

I agree John Greenwoods work is fantastic. To work in such a small scale must require the skills of a watchmaker.

Truly inspirational stuff....

Damian

It was great to see the layout again - inspirational! I spent a fair part of my late teens at St Blazey, going to school in Snozzel (St Austell in English) and the layout provides happy memories.

I particularly like the buildings and wish I had the time to build similar.

Hopefully will see you again at another show.

Andrew (KMRC)

It was nice to see you again

Next shows Warley - if you fancy the trek.....

Getting the sound right is a black art and I haven't got it right yet.

The problem is back ground noise at the shows. If say I set my class 50 at home and set it to max it soon gets on my nerves as it is miles to loud for that environment. However take it to a show and you can barely hear it. So if you are at quiet show or in a quiet corner, it will be anoying. Conversely when we go to Warley there will be no point in having the sound on because the backgroung noise will be such that you can't hear the loco's.

Out of interest all my loco's are on maximum setting and with base reflex speakers, so I really don't know what your friends at Plymouth show were using.

But i'm no expert - by a long way

Shame the breakdown photos weren't in the form of a video - I could imagine it as a Benny Hill type sketch if watched speeded up. Nice to see how the layout is presented, quality finish to the whole layout, not just the "layout". Who manufactures the figures you use?. It makes such a difference seeing people that look like people, not something from Dr Who episode!

Thanks for the comments on presentation - its well appreciated as lots of people see it as superfluous, but I feel its quite important.

The figures are actually Bachmann, generally repainted and weathered/toned down. The're ok but no where near as good as the preiser figures Owd Gringo's looking at for his 'Once Upon a Time in the West' project.

Have followed this thread for some time, however it occurred to me that I haven't added any comments to date.

Brings back very nice memories of wandering around St Blazey 25 years ago...when the tenants were BR blue...

Highly inspirational modelling and am now re-reading the 'how it was done' bits again, which are really informative.

One of those layouts that I would happily stand in front of until all the rolling stock in the fiddleyard had been past...and then stay and watch for some more...

Always happy to see some more photos of it!

Thanks for your very kind comments.

One question tho........

BCN?

Birmingham Canal Navigations????

• RMweb Gold

One question tho........

BCN?

Birmingham Canal Navigations????

I had to ask Pete that as well! Its Barcelona

Thanks Jerry - Yep, that's what it's called here Damian....the same abbreviation as used on the flight tags too...LGW...LHR etc... :biggrin_mini2:

• RMweb Gold

Here's a pic of boards stacked in the van.

This picture shows the end plate detail. They are so arranged so that the boards just drop in on top of each other, also note that end plate is not tight up against the baseboard, its actually spaced off a little to prevent damage to track and scenery edges.

Thanks for the photos - very helpful. I have also spaced the ends of the scenic boards onto the packing boards with a strip of hardboard to protect the track ends.

Look forward to seeing DitD again soon.

Cheers