2ManySpams

• RMweb Gold

Very true.

We had to eat them all to stop them spreading on this thread.

In fact, I'm still full with both pasties and cream tea's.

Cream teas! My turn to go a shade of green! The French don't do cream as the Cornish know it, so, like draught bitter, it isn't easily obtained near us. The best were at Doyden - above Port Quin, near Port Isaac - and in more recent years at Morwenstow, near Bude. Ah, well, maybe next year....

• Like 1

Cream teas! My turn to go a shade of green! The French don't do cream as the Cornish know it, so, like draught bitter, it isn't easily obtained near us. The best were at Doyden - above Port Quin, near Port Isaac - and in more recent years at Morwenstow, near Bude. Ah, well, maybe next year....

Well its not next year for me, I'll be scoffing for the next two weeks in Cornwall and trying that Cornish cider again

• Like 1

I have to get back down there - it's been a long time - the late '60s! I remember I met this really attractive woman at a show and we ended up back at her folk's place which was a splendid pub! Heaven.

I can't even remember the town......though I remember her name.

Where's the nearest airport to Cornwall that takes big jets from the 'States?

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

We had a great time exhibiting Highbury at the Truro show at the weekend. Getting to have a good look at DITD for the first time was one of the highlights, a stunning layout - I've put a few pictures I took at the show in this thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/26252-three-spires-railex-2011/page__st__25

My good friend John Greenwood intends to incorporate a representation of St Blazey shed on his 2FS north Cornwall layout and I have the job of doing the buildings so meeting and having a chat with the gang was really useful.

Jerry

• Like 1

The waist lines spreading a bit more then

Hmmmm,

Perhaps we've created the wrong impression regarding our eating habits over the weekend.

Personally I don't see a problem with a ''few'' pasties and cream teas over the course of a couple of days - 'as part of a calorie-controlled diet'.

Anyway we weren't eating pasties all the time, we snook in a couple of large steaks (with stilton sauce) and a fews bags of pickled onion Monster Munch in between.

Not forgetting a touch of the forbidden sauce.......

We had a great time exhibiting Highbury at the Truro show at the weekend. Getting to have a good look at DITD for the first time was one of the highlights, a stunning layout - I've put a few pictures I took at the show in this thread http://www.rmweb.co....11/page__st__25

My good friend John Greenwood intends to incorporate a representation of St Blazey shed on his 2FS north Cornwall layout and I have the job of doing the buildings so meeting and having a chat with the gang was really useful.

Jerry

It was great to meet you guys and chat through the proposals.

2mm Finescale? I don't know how you work in such as size? I can't even see it!!!

Anything you guys need just let us know as we have amassed quite a lot of info now.

Can't wait to see the fruits of your work.

Operating 2mm finescale turntable anyone?

• RMweb Gold

It was great to meet you guys and chat through the proposals.

2mm Finescale? I don't know how you work in such as size? I can't even see it!!!

Anything you guys need just let us know as we have amassed quite a lot of info now.

Can't wait to see the fruits of your work.

Operating 2mm finescale turntable anyone?

John is the master of the mechanical, see the working gantry crane on Wenford bridge. The St Blazey tuntable is well advanced, there are already working turntables at Bodmin and Wadebridge on his layout with the Padstow one built but waiting for a station! He is doing a full size drawing of the baseboard so I can work out what compromises will be necessary with the buildings. The fact that you have taken a number of liberties with the positioning of the buildings and yet lost none of the visual impact of the prototype was very encouraging.

Johns period is the last few years of grouping although I have a sound fitted 37 which may well end up as a large logo Cornish resident!

Thanks for your kind offer of info, I will pm you with an outline of our plans once I have a better idea.

cheers Jerry

• Like 1

A great layout which I have been following closely.

What are you using for the backscene it looks very realistic?

Vulcan Bomber - what a great name!!

I'm looking at a couple of pic's on my wall I took of 558 flying over my house.

Thanks for the compliment on the layout

The backscene is MDF painted with 'sky' first by my artistic friend 'Owd Gringer'. We then applied gaugemaster backscenes with the sky cut off (i.e. the hills only). The reason we did this is that the sky on the gaugemaster backscene is not very deep. We needed it a lot deeper.

• RMweb Gold

Hmmmm,

Perhaps we've created the wrong impression regarding our eating habits over the weekend.

Personally I don't see a problem with a ''few'' pasties and cream teas over the course of a couple of days - 'as part of a calorie-controlled diet'.

Anyway we weren't eating pasties all the time, we snook in a couple of large steaks (with stilton sauce) and a fews bags of pickled onion Monster Munch in between.

Not forgetting a touch of the forbidden sauce.......

I believe you have two options here.

1. 'Calorie Trading' in which you eat the pasties, cream tea, steak etc and you give someone some money to buy an apple, orange or banana.

2. 'Calorie Off-setting' in which you eat the pasties, cream tea, steak etc and you give someone an apple, orange or banana.

This seems to work with 'big business' for coal/oil and trees so why not us... :D :D

• Like 2

I believe you have two options here.

1. 'Calorie Trading' in which you eat the pasties, cream tea, steak etc and you give someone some money to buy an apple, orange or banana.

2. 'Calorie Off-setting' in which you eat the pasties, cream tea, steak etc and you give someone an apple, orange or banana.

This seems to work with 'big business' for coal/oil and trees so why not us... :D :D

That's brilliant!

I've got a garden full of fruit trees!

Infact, perhaps I'm not eating enough bad things.....

• RMweb Gold

Looks more like a beer or three was the order of the day at the end..............

Best, Pete.

Talking of beer and pasties........the minikeg was my raffle prize (past tense - now empty) and the pastie is from Berrymans of Redruth (my personal favourite - I brought a box home).

post-1074-0-63620300-1314401543_thumb.jpg

'Lilian' is what we did on the way home - Launston

post-1074-0-48409100-1314401686_thumb.jpg

Interesting to see the gradual breakdown of the exhibition behind you. Thanks for posting the pics - reminder of a cracking weekend.

Jerry

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Talking of beer and pasties........the minikeg was my raffle prize (past tense - now empty)

Cor - a Southern Railway beer (Rock is opposite Padstow, and I can recall watching Bulleid Pacifics crossing the Little Petherick Creek bridge) won in the heart of GWR Cornwall at Truro! A fine beer, and I enjoyed a pint a few years back at St Pancras in the then-temporary Betjeman Bar, just before getting my Eurostar back to Paris. Maybe more recently at the Lutyens-designed Drum at Cockington, Devon, too?

• RMweb Gold

Have followed this thread for some time, however it occurred to me that I haven't added any comments to date.

Brings back very nice memories of wandering around St Blazey 25 years ago...when the tenants were BR blue...

Highly inspirational modelling and am now re-reading the 'how it was done' bits again, which are really informative.

One of those layouts that I would happily stand in front of until all the rolling stock in the fiddleyard had been past...and then stay and watch for some more...

Always happy to see some more photos of it!