Bachmann Class 158 Status

cs233

22 hours ago, e30ftw said:

will we see 3 car sets in the future, they dont seem to want to produce them?

I’d imagine it’s down to what the final retail price might be for 3 car units…. 2 car units are more affordable, so would probably be better sellers/more profitable for the production slot.  I’m patiently waiting and hoping they release an update class 170…

• Like 2

On 29/03/2023 at 14:13, No Decorum said:

You’re right. In one of Bachmann’s announcement videos (which I can’t find now), Steve Purves explained that he had talked to drivers and they told him that they didn’t use cab lights because they destroyed their night vision. He also noted that MUs ran with their rear cab lights on for the convenience of the guard. It may be correct prototype practice but I can’t say I like it. Bachmann then dropped the ball by having the rear cab light extinguish when the unit started to move. This was on the 159 – that particular whimsical touch may have been sorted on newer models.

Cab lights aren't on in the front when trains are on the move but unfortunately it seems to have become one of these 'must have' features (like 70s Diesels lit up like Christmas trees when in real life the lights were barely visible at night and only a single tail lamp was lit up when running light engine). The Door interlock lights are a far more visible and useful feature and their inclusion on the 158/159 is a much needed improvement on earlier sliding door models.

• Like 1

On 29/03/2023 at 14:13, No Decorum said:

You’re right. In one of Bachmann’s announcement videos (which I can’t find now), Steve Purves explained that he had talked to drivers and they told him that they didn’t use cab lights because they destroyed their night vision. He also noted that MUs ran with their rear cab lights on for the convenience of the guard. It may be correct prototype practice but I can’t say I like it. Bachmann then dropped the ball by having the rear cab light extinguish when the unit started to move. This was on the 159 – that particular whimsical touch may have been sorted on newer models.

The thing is, they should (in my opinion) have every single controllable item, controllable by a single function on the decoder. So I can put a good decoder in and set it up exactly how I want. ESU decoders (which in my opinion have the best function mapping) can do what would be extremely difficult to recreate on a physical board.

The flip side to that is that to a lot of people they can't/won't understand or have interest how to program it to do that so there needs to be another option.

Then use switches to activate any functionality on DC or DCC (with lesser decoders). Dapol Class 68 and Hattons 66 style.

The thing I aren't so keen on is when manufacturers put logic on the board and get it wrong*. At least on decoders that allow it, the logic is programmable.

*Wrong either vs real life or vs what the buyer wants to make happen

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
On 08/08/2023 at 19:46, andyman7 said:

Cab lights aren't on in the front when trains are on the move but unfortunately it seems to have become one of these 'must have' features (like 70s Diesels lit up like Christmas trees when in real life the lights were barely visible at night and only a single tail lamp was lit up when running light engine). The Door interlock lights are a far more visible and useful feature and their inclusion on the 158/159 is a much needed improvement on earlier sliding door models.

I disagree, for many modern multiple units, a cab light is on whilst moving, it just isn’t the front one. Don’t forget there is often a guard or revenue collector/inspector travelling in the rear cab. 

Roy

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

I disagree, for many modern multiple units, a cab light is on whilst moving, it just isn’t the front one. Don’t forget there is often a guard or revenue collector/inspector travelling in the rear cab. 

Roy

However how many people run their layouts at night? Rear cab lights would not be used in the day time. I would agree that door interlock lights are of more benefit.

Edited by Chris56057

I am hoping Bachman will release another batch of class 158s in GWR green as I sadly missed out on the first batch. 

It would be great if it was the 3 car 158798 in GWR with destinations Exeter - Barnstaple as that is where 158798 is usually operating these days. I use the Barnstaple line very regularly and it is often 158798. 

On 24/03/2023 at 04:06, JackB95 said:

If you're unsure whether to get the ATW one or not, do it... 

IMG_20230323_172446_845.jpg.1f161460ff97623a18b9baf1f134f00a.jpg

IMG_20230323_172446_859.jpg.7f4d17e5feaea00630adb9c9aa11dade.jpg

The colour match with their 150 and Hornby's 153 is good too 👌🏻 

IMG_20230323_172446_890.jpg.1475f8d363e5459530efecf4de464cd6.jpg

IMG_20230323_172446_905.jpg.117d53d3f37e35a1f012594a08035552.jpg

Another beautiful model Bachmann, thank you. ATW blue/cream, ex-Alphaline variants, and maybe TfW as well please? 🙏🏻 

What I find interesting is that quite often you see class 150 and class 158 operating together, especially on the Devon metro, but looking at these pictures, the front gangways on the models are of different heights. Could this mean that either the class 150 or class 158 is of incorrect scale?

I would guess it would be the class 150 as

the class 153 gangway matches up well. 

Edited by Trainsandtravel
Add text.

2 minutes ago, Trainsandtravel said:

What I find interesting is that quite often you see class 150 and class 158 operating together, especially on the Devon metro, but looking at these pictures, the front gangways on the models are of different heights. Could this mean that either the class 150 or class 158 is of incorrect scale?

Something I've pondered too... but for slightly different reasons.

The 153 is a bit dodgy to judge as the wheels are too large and the roof profile is wrong so hard to judge on that one.. I think they squashed the gangways a little to compensate. (Fitting an alternative such as Lima makes a difference to the look). I was hoping Heljan would do a 4mm one tbh as the 7mm looks better.

The 150 does look low in your photos and I'm not sure of the reason for it. I've noticed on some of my 150s there is alot of slop in the axles in the trailing bogies causing it all to sit low. Depending on which bogie is fitted then if you have the newer one slightly bending the contacts helps. I also fitted brass bearings to some of mine with no contacts to tighten things up.

As my layout is EM I'm replacing all wheels. So have fitted 11mm ultrascales which hopefully makes an interesting comparison;

20230810_111730.jpg.3806749921ebe3bfe2a43487738fd18e.jpg

I think it looks a bit better and if anything the 150 is still a smidge low but I can live with that.

Rightly or wrongly I've based my platform height on the 158.... mostly I'm going with the theory that if the 158 has clearance then pretty much all my stock does. So I'm trying to make the 158 and 150 look ok in the platform...

20230810_111931.jpg.ddb51838bb58ef2077cbc7733244b4e8.jpg

And a bit closer attempting for a level photo!

20230810_112001.jpg.39b8e862eabde0a6038632f9a0ea996b.jpg

I've probably built the platform a little high but there's no going back now!

What we all need is a 11mm solid disc EM wheel.... (I say hopefully that one of our excellent manufacturers is reading this....)

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Trainsandtravel said:

I think you are right that I will be waiting a while for another GWR class 158. 

Keep a look in second hand shops/stalls, they'll appear in good nick I reckon. I find it remarkable the amount of stuff that is sold that never does much.

20 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Keep a look in second hand shops/stalls, they'll appear in good nick I reckon. I find it remarkable the amount of stuff that is sold that never does much.

I will do. Modern GWR livery stuff always sells out and is difficult to come by unless you pre-order it but sadly I am on a very tight budget. But hopefully one will come available at a good price.  

• RMweb Gold

Bachmann sells the bodies in GwR

ive bought one to make a 3 car GWR.

https://Bachmann-spares.co.uk/product/category/825/class-158-dmu-2020-body-car-a-gwr-green-57766-31-519-519sf/e3151-200-08

https://Bachmann-spares.co.uk/product/category/825/class-158-dmu-2020-body-car-b---gwr-green-52766-31-519-519sf/e3151-200-09

you can get the seats too, and all the bits off an NSE Centre car, but I used a s/h 158 for mine.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 10/08/2023 at 11:09, Trainsandtravel said:

I’ve observed too how the outer gangway heights differ between the Bachmann class 150 and 158, plus the Hornby Class 153. The outer gangways should be the same because it’s standard to the Sprinter family. Inner gangways are different, but not outers. 

Also the height of the BSI coupler is standard too across the Pacer and Sprinter fleets. Plus 165/166/168/170s. Note the 165/166 could only mechanically couple. Electrically wiring to the pins on the coupler block is different. 

Granted the Hornby 153 is well selectively compressed. So comparison have to be done with caution. 

I too hope Heljan produce a 4mm 153. The 7mm prototype looks superb. 

Edited by richierich
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 11/08/2023 at 19:02, TomScrut said:

The old "opened to check" job!

I'm glad they've eventually released Central livery.

That, the 180 and 755 means 2024 is going to be an expensive year for me.

• Like 1

On 26/08/2023 at 11:48, richierich said:

Also the height of the BSI coupler is standard too across the Pacer and Sprinter fleets. Plus 165/166/168/170s. Note the 165/166 could only mechanically couple. Electrically wiring to the pins on the coupler block is different. 

not true anymore… all 165/1’s and 166’s are different heights on the couplers following introduction in the west, as well as being taller than they were originally.  

• Informative/Useful 1

On 02/09/2023 at 17:21, derekdoestrains said:

not true anymore… all 165/1’s and 166’s are different heights on the couplers following introduction in the west, as well as being taller than they were originally.  

Why would the height need to be changed?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, derekdoestrains said:

because they’d remove the platform edges in the central / west region if they didn’t :)

Surely changing the height presumably the ride height would need a lengthy certification process. Any technical details how this was achieved? The BREL series 3 bogie mounting components must have been impacted by the height changes?! 

Edited by cs233
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, cs233 said:

Surely changing the height presumably the ride height would need a lengthy certification process. Any technical details how this was achieved? The BREL series 3 bogie mounting components must have been impacted by the height changes?! 

The only way they could run in the West, someone with a lot more knowledge and power than me worked it all out… 

Technically… it’s just packing pieces… nothing more complexed than that.

On 24/03/2023 at 16:51, charliepetty said:

IF its an ESU Decoder, get it reblown with New Sounds & Destination Announcements. !!!!!

Charlie (Legomanbiffo-DCKits)

PPS Have they fixed the Cab Lights yet ???

For those interested the new Legomanbiffo Sound files are here for the 158 Including Multiple Destination Announcements:

Arriva Trains Wales (With a Regional  Accent) for South Wales or North Wales !!

Central Trains (With a Regional Accent)

Northern Rail (Newcastle/Teeside & Yorkshire-Lancashire destinations)

East Midland Trains  (With a Regional Accent)

Scotrail (With a Regional Accent)

• Like 2