Accurascale

ah I think they'll have models out  before the 10 years sorting Brexit out will be over , damm I mentioned the B word, I promised myself.......

Yes; behave! ;)

Anyway I've just finished reviewing their Cement Bubble, probably the best RTR wagon I've seen so this could all be very interesting.

CB4.jpg

• Like 14

I only hope the reading on the gauge is prototypical!

It does look stunning.

Still, "a number of eras", they did say "a number of eras"!

One can but hope!

No, it wasn't "a number of errors" ............ I can only see two : that horrible THING sticking out from under the headstock and the rather less than 21mm track gauge ( er - as supplied ).

Best of luck lads - if you do something Southern and suitable for post war I won't have one ......... sorry, I mean I won't necessarily restrict myself to one. ( Two Leaders would really be greedy ! )

• RMweb Gold

It seems to me that in steam era wagons there are a couple of very common designs from the biggest of the big Four which lack models to a good standard. Since this group was of all the UK railways the one significantly involved in operations in Ireland, I wonder if there is any crossover potential?

And one existing model wagon that is long overdue for an application of "uncompromising fidelity" figured prominently in traffic from the Emerald Isle....... 

John

It seems to me that in steam era wagons there are a couple of very common designs from the biggest of the big Four which lack models to a good standard. Since this group was of all the UK railways the one significantly involved in operations in Ireland, I wonder if there is any crossover potential?

I guess you're referring to the largest joint stock Company in the world ( Or was that just its largest constituent ? ) ......... unfortunately they only had two types of wagon built for service west of the North Channel : one of which was a widened version of one of their 1930's open wagon variants and the other a re-hashed goods van inspired by a design from their second largest constituent - both were built during the war ( that's the 'Emergency' for those of you reading this in the twenty six counties ) by the second largest UK railway at the time ( That fact is probably not unconnected with the use of timber frames under all these wagons. )  .................... anyway, not a lot of crossover of wagon design at that time - though there were some similar-ish vans built later.

No, it wasn't "a number of errors" ............ I can only see two : that horrible THING sticking out from under the headstock and the rather less than 21mm track gauge ( er - as supplied ).

Best of luck lads - if you do something Southern and suitable for post war I won't have one ......... sorry, I mean I won't necessarily restrict myself to one. ( Two Leaders would really be greedy ! )

I have to say, as someone who’s been out of UK modelling for years, tension lock couplers look even more terrible on high quality models than they did on 90s models

I have to say, as someone who’s been out of UK modelling for years, tension lock couplers look even more terrible on high quality models than they did on 90s models

It is true. We can hardly load the expectation for something different and much better on  a new entrant business though.

'In my dreams' someone designs a coupler pocket system for 4mm to fit in the bufferbeam, and a range of couplers to fit: which provide compatability to current couplers (an 'ultra-cranked' miniature tension lock for example) and options for near scale autocouplers which look something like three link and screw link. Knuckle couplers, both over scale and scale versions would work with small adjustment to their magnetic droppers, and scale three/screw link options too... In my dreams

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately, any new entrant to r-t-r is more-or-less saddled with conforming to the "industry norm" where couplers are concerned.

The best we can hope for is the NEM pocket to be in the right place.

John  

Unfortunately, any new entrant to r-t-r is more-or-less saddled with conforming to the "industry norm" where couplers are concerned.

The best we can hope for is the NEM pocket to be in the right place.

John

I have often wondered why it is that a coupling on the lines of Dingham or Sprat hasn't emerged that uses to NEM pocket to better effect

• RMweb Gold

I have often wondered why it is that a coupling on the lines of Dingham or Sprat hasn't emerged that uses to NEM pocket to better effect

Somebody has made up Sprat & Winkles to fit NEM pockets, though not commercially. There was a "how-to" article in Railway Modeller, IIRC.

I will edit this post if/when I identify which issue.....

John

CORRECTION: It was in an article entitled "Maunsells for Manston" by Andy Hopper, in BRM, August 2008

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium

A version of the Greenwich coupling has been designed to fit the NEM362 socket. I've got some test etches somewhere.

• Like 2

Good luck with your forthcoming range!  Hopefully, there may be something in it I want (and if there is, i can afford one or some)

I also like what you have said about announcing new releases when there is something to be shown!!!

Simon

• RMweb Premium

If not already mentioned and if this is allowed, this was posted on the EMGS website (02/12/17).

"Accurascale announce intent to produce UK models
Posted on  December 2nd, 2017 • Filed in: Society news

The Society was approached by Accurascale, an Irish company, who have plans to make UK 4mm scale rolling stock and locomotives. They asked our requirement for them to make models that would be convertible to EM & P4. Board member Karl Crowther has gathered the thoughts of the Board and submitted suggestions to Accurascale. The discussions were amicable, but we must now wait until the initial model(s) are released on the 31st January."

Please join us.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If not already mentioned and if this is allowed, this was posted on the EMGS website (02/12/17).

"Accurascale announce intent to produce UK models
Posted on  December 2nd, 2017 • Filed in: Society news

The Society was approached by Accurascale, an Irish company, who have plans to make UK 4mm scale rolling stock and locomotives. They asked our requirement for them to make models that would be convertible to EM & P4. Board member Karl Crowther has gathered the thoughts of the Board and submitted suggestions to Accurascale. The discussions were amicable, but we must now wait until the initial model(s) are released on the 31st January."

Please join us.

Thanks Tim Dubya. One clarification on the above is that we will be unveiling the model(s) on February 1st, not releasing it or them on Jan 31st as above.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 2

Anyone able to add 2 and 2 to get 6 from the different buffer types in the image on the Facebook site?!  Will obviously remove if including this creates any offence, or stirs frothers too much!

Hi everyone,

While I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, we have launched our Facebook page. If you are on Facebook it would be great to give us a like! https://www.facebook.com/AccurascaleUK/

Thanks,

Fran

post-7031-0-22506000-1512612873_thumb.png

Edited by 26power
  • Like 2

The Accurascale guys have a proven track record over in the Irish Market (i.e. Irish Railway Models).  They are headed by a successful technology sector business entrepreneur who has a passion for railway modelling and a team with an obsession for accuracy.  They started only two years ago, cautiously walked before they ran, and yes there was lots of hype and rather annoying "announcements about announcements", but in the end it all came good and they delivered stunning models with a level of detail and accuracy we had not seen before over here.  They have certainly raised the bar very significantly for RTR wagons.

They have successfully shipped two products to the Irish market this year, about to ship a third before Christmas and their fourth Irish wagon project in the new year.  They had cleverly designed the wagons so that customers with 21mm gauge Irish layouts could easily replace the supplied 00 gauge wheels with scale Irish broad gauge 5'3" (21mm) axles, which will be even easier for their UK products (i.e. EM/P4, etc).  

They have indicted to their Irish customer base that future projects will be announced when pre-production samples are complete and within weeks of production delivery so there should be no long waits in the future, and hopefully less "hyped announcement fatigue".  The key is they delivered the goods, well beyond expectations so I suspect they will do the same with their UK market offerings.  Over here we are looking forward to their 2018 projects.

IRM Cement Bubbles wagons (their 2nd project)

IMG_3384.jpg

Look at the pressure gauge 

IMG_3379.jpg

Look whats underneath!!!

IMG_3375.jpg

A few lightly weathered by this amateur

IMG_3432.jpg

IRM's first project shipped earlier this year - Irish Ballast Wagons

IMG_2263.jpg

• Like 15

Very impressive, indeed.

I am not one who is likely to change my eras of interest based upon the quality and availability of RTR support, but I am sure many modellers will have been in a position to enjoy these releases, they certainly raise the bar for RTR wagons.

The assumption that progress in quality and fidelity is positive and continuous has proved flawed in recent, bountiful, years, because the rush to market, particularly by some new players and projects, has fairly regularly resulted in a falling off, particularly regarding accuracy, and particularly where inaccuracy was not a necessary technical compromise but a result of uncorrected mistakes and, ultimately, not caring enough to get it right. What has concerned me most has been the often complacent response to this by hobbyists and less-than-exacting reviewers.  I don't want manufacturers to get the message that their customers will be content with any reasonable approximation.

I say all this (and apologies for the ramble, and, indeed, for sermonising) because it strikes me that Accurascale help not just their own customers by insisting on higher standards, but raise the bar more generally and help to reverse the trend towards second best.

A positive development for the hobby. 

And, if Accurascale ever get tempted by earlier periods ......

• Like 7