attachicon.gifBachmann 2017.jpg

And the comparisons - (all in 00)

Hornby Dublo Deltic v Bachmann Deltic 

Triang 08 v Bachmann 08

Marklin Warship v Bachmann Warship

Bit of an eye opener...

Thanks Dennis and Bachmann

Baz

Shame they have yet to do a correct length Chas Roberts Iron Ore hopper as the error on the Mainline one has been perpetuated!

On the subject of travel costs, my dad can beat that - bus to Coventry station, free with his bus pass, train to International, again free with his bus pass, walk to the NEC. Sandwiches for lunch, and a flask of coffee!

Now there's a fellow with a certain style I like. Do ask him if there's any Yorkshire blood in the family. :friends:

• Like 1

I hear it a lot regarding era and “modern image”. It’s your layout run what you like when you like how you like. It depends what you are trying to achieve. Some people stick to era or region etc some don’t. I’ll be getting one and I run 2015- current day.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Shame they have yet to do a correct length Chas Roberts Iron Ore hopper as the error on the Mainline one has been perpetuated!

go back and look what you would have been offered in 1967... some plasticard, some Kenline bits, the odd set of Jackson wheels and you could paint and sign write the hand built wagon....

Baz

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

There’s a website for everything...http://www.bdca.org.uk/steamreplaced.html

The last “lift” by a BR owned steam powered crane was August 1989.

A minor correction if I may: the August 1989 lift was, as far as can be determined, the last lift by a steam breakdown crane on BR metals, but the crane was not owned by BR at the time, it had already been sold into preservation. The crane was the former GWR No2 36 ton Ransomes & Rapier of 1908, a survivor of inestimable historic significance, being the first 'modern' steam breakdown crane to operate in Britain.

The crane had been sold from Swindon to the Dart Valley Light Railway in 1975, at which time the DVLR operated both the Paignton and Buckfastleigh lines. In order to allow the crane to move over BR metals between the two lines, it was maintained to the necessary main-line standards.

For various reasons the DVLR decided to sell the crane in 1989, and after the sale, but before the crane left the Paignton line, it ventured out onto BR metals to lift out the newly-decommissioned bracket signal at Goodrington (the last operational mainline bracket signal in Devon). Thus at the time the crane was privately owned, operated by the DVLR, and working on BR infrastructure! Shortly afterwards the crane left Devon to return to Swindon by rail.

It is hard to imagine this situation being entertained nowadays.

More information about this seminal crane can be found on the BDCA website, http://www.bdca.org.uk/gwr2.html

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Not the case i'm afraid Coach, see a thread discussing this very topic here and images on Steam Museum's images database here, here, here and here

A gratuitous image of my own handywork - a Hall in wartime black using Hornby's maroon monstrosity Olton Hall as a starting point -  to illustrate:

post-18813-0-42240200-1508685054.jpg

Cheers, 

CoY

One please!