Bachmann at Warley 2017

it's-er

Having never been in the hallowed chambers of the Bachmann Collectors Club lounge, but, as they seem to segregate their customers by whether or not they pay an extra few quid for a magazine and a bottle of water, (I don't believe the dancing girls and caviar by the way), are modellers further segregated once inside and individual chairs are provided for OO/EM/P4 types?, further compartmentalised into steam/diesel/electric and then era interests, if so, it must get hellish complicated in there, no wonder Bachmann have trouble satisfying the market with all that going on.

Mike.

I presume you’d complain if flying BA, and not being given access to the executive lounge as you brought an economy ticket ?

What a curious mental attitude having a club lounge has evoked

• RMweb Gold

I presume you’d complain if flying BA, and not being given access to the executive lounge as you brought an economy ticket ?

Exactly so - I'm not a member of Bachmann's club but I can see no reason to be jealous of, or upset by, the benefits secured by those who are.  In very simple terms they have chosen to pay to join and therefore that grants them something in return - just like joining any other club is likely to do and i'm not aware that either Bachmann or the existing members operate a 'black ball' system which prevents others from joining.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Exactly so - I'm not a member of Bachmann's club but I can see no reason to be jealous of, or upset by, the benefits secured by those who are.  In very simple terms they have chosen to pay to join and therefore that grants them something in return - just like joining any other club is likely to do and i'm not aware that either Bachmann or the existing members operate a 'black ball' system which prevents others from joining.

I just love that analogy.....now where are my white gloves ? :jester:

No, that's a completely bogus analogy.

Perhaps what you are struggling for is the idea that BA only sells tickets to people who are already a member of its executive club, and won't tell non-members where it might be flying to.

I am struggling to understand why people struggle to understand the problem that some of us see.

It is *not* that Bachmann have a fan club that you have paid to join, and you get all sorts of extra goodies to reward you. Good for you. Have fun with them. We've joked about champagne, caviar and dancing girls, and in all honesty I have no problem at all if that's what you get - plus exclusive access to Bachmann staff to badger the poor things about whatever is making you unhappy. Whatever.

The problem is that, so far as I am aware, Bachmann expects vast numbers of non-members to buy its products from retailers. But Bachmann has decided not to show them to us, only to the fan club.

If you can't see why that might be crap marketing, I confess I am struggling to explain it more clearly.

That's all. And, to repeat for emphasis, I have absolutely no problem with fanboys getting loads of extra goodies in the club, exclusive lounges, private invitations to the managing director's Sunday roast dinners, whatever you like. Good luck to you all. I'd just like to have seen the samples so I can decide for myself whether or not I fancy buying any, because none are *necessary* for me - they'd all be "might buys".

A bit like DJM's N gauge Clayton. I have literally absolutely no need for those, but - having seen the exquisite EP on his stand - I am bloody well going to buy a pair.

Paul

• Like 5

But Bachmann has decided not to show them to us, only to the fan club.

That not really true. All they have done is to show some developments at the Warley exhibition to their club members first as a kind of exclusive preview. Just because you couldn't see them at the weekend (now gone) it doesn't mean you won't get a chance in the future.

They haven't chosen to never show it to potential customers. No doubt other viewings will happen at another time. And as the products are not yet ready to purchase it hardly matters now.

It's not poor marketing but has certainly been successful in piquing your interest as a kind of under-cover something-coming campaign.

G.

Currently the 90 is due July/August, the Crane is August/September and J72 is September/October. With the exception of the carflats (March/April) the models with new livery samples have release dates starting from May. There are plenty of other shows/events that Bachmann will be at between now and when the models are released. All but one (Ally Pally I believe) will not have a members lounge. I doubt the EPs and livery samples won't be on show.

Currently the 90 is due July/August, the Crane is August/September and J72 is September/October. With the exception of the carflats (March/April) the models with new livery samples have release dates starting from May. There are plenty of other shows/events that Bachmann will be at between now and when the models are released. All but one (Ally Pally I believe) will not have a members lounge. I doubt the EPs and livery samples won't be on show.

Yes can't wait for the Class 90, btw can the Crane be used on a modern image layout or would it just look stupid and out of place?

I really like it and me wants it...

Edited by classy52

• RMweb Gold

When did Dumbleton Hall become an unlined product? The original catalogue image showed lined livery. Is this the first we've heard of the change of plan or did I miss something? I'm not complaining at all, just a bit perplexed.

You can partly blame me and others on my thread who asked Bachmann to omit the lining as it was incorrect for the post war livery. The guys at the SDR had got it wrong on the preserved one Bachmann had copied.

• Like 2

No, that's a completely bogus analogy.

Perhaps what you are struggling for is the idea that BA only sells tickets to people who are already a member of its executive club, and won't tell non-members where it might be flying to.

I am struggling to understand why people struggle to understand the problem that some of us see.

It is *not* that Bachmann have a fan club that you have paid to join, and you get all sorts of extra goodies to reward you. Good for you. Have fun with them. We've joked about champagne, caviar and dancing girls, and in all honesty I have no problem at all if that's what you get - plus exclusive access to Bachmann staff to badger the poor things about whatever is making you unhappy. Whatever.

The problem is that, so far as I am aware, Bachmann expects vast numbers of non-members to buy its products from retailers. But Bachmann has decided not to show them to us, only to the fan club.

If you can't see why that might be crap marketing, I confess I am struggling to explain it more clearly.

That's all. And, to repeat for emphasis, I have absolutely no problem with fanboys getting loads of extra goodies in the club, exclusive lounges, private invitations to the managing director's Sunday roast dinners, whatever you like. Good luck to you all. I'd just like to have seen the samples so I can decide for myself whether or not I fancy buying any, because none are *necessary* for me - they'd all be "might buys".

A bit like DJM's N gauge Clayton. I have literally absolutely no need for those, but - having seen the exquisite EP on his stand - I am bloody well going to buy a pair.

Paul

This is really getting a bit silly. Bachmann provided a large stand around which, available for all to see, were examples of models in N, OO and HO scales, including trains, buses and buildings. The view of these from outside the stand was in most cases better than that from within, and there wasn't really a great deal more within the area reserved for the 'privileged few', although personally I appreciate the consideration shown to Collectors Club members. I am also quite sure that there will be plenty of opportunities to view new models before actually having to buy them. Finally, it is a bit rich complaining about benefits provided to Club members while choosing not to pay to join said Club.

It's not poor marketing but has certainly been successful in piquing your interest as a kind of under-cover something-coming campaign.

Very witty. Though if you really can't tell the difference between someone whose interest you've piqued, and someone you've really pissed off, you may want to put a relationship counsellor on your phone on speed dial. ;)

Google "seduction theory" for more relevant material.

Paul

• Like 1

... Finally, it is a bit rich complaining about benefits provided to Club members while choosing not to pay to join said Club.

Good grief.

For people with reading difficulties, can I repeat I have no problem with fan club members getting benefits they've paid for. Enjoy them. That is not at all what this is about. (In fairness to me, I don't remember Bachman offering exclusive views of EP samples as a club exclusive, but I may have missed that.)

I'm now boring myself, as well as I suspect a vast majority of you, so I'll stop banging on about it.

Can I end by repeating how lovely some of those samples looked from the photos (lest you think I hate Bachmann and all who sail in her).

Paul

Can we please drop this now? People have expressed their different views, and it is unlikely to be reconciled on here, which will lead to bad feeling, when really it is just a difference of opinion.

We should get back to the more important subjects, like where is my 2 HAP?

• Like 1

Good grief.

For people with reading difficulties, can I repeat I have no problem with fan club members getting benefits they've paid for. Enjoy them. That is not at all what this is about. (In fairness to me, I don't remember Bachman offering exclusive views of EP samples as a club exclusive, but I may have missed that.)

I'm now boring myself, as well as I suspect a vast majority of you, so I'll stop banging on about it.

Can I end by repeating how lovely some of those samples looked from the photos (lest you think I hate Bachmann and all who sail in her).

Paul

No I get it. But my example is only bogus if I was seeing something you couldn’t.

For clarity - at no point did I see something from the inside that you couldn’t see from the outside . If there was EPs available inside that the general public couldn’t see - I didn’t ......

Anyway back to the straight and narrow

My sole reason for joining Bachmann Colletors Club ....... to buy "must have" models, eg D1733 in XP64 livery.

To answer the conspiracy theorists,  having entered the hallowed area of the lounge,  the view of the contents of the display cabinets is no better or worse  and there are no exclusive views of "agreeable"  models which are other  than 9mm or 16.5 mm gauge

Edited by Pandora

• RMweb Premium

, btw can the Crane be used on a modern image layout or would it just look stupid and out of place?

What do you mean by modern image? It's a steam powered prototype, so by definition isn't modern image according to some................

:locomotive:

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Yes can't wait for the Class 90, btw can the Crane be used on a modern image layout or would it just look stupid and out of place?

First define 'modern image' - oops.  Right - some survived as steam cranes until the mid-late 1980s when they were converted to diesel while some of those which went to the SR and GWR were withdrawn in the early 1980s with a few surviving until the late 1980s.

So it all depends on where you place 'modern image' on the calendar.

First define 'modern image' - oops.  Right - some survived as steam cranes until the mid-late 1980s when they were converted to diesel while some of those which went to the SR and GWR were withdrawn in the early 1980s with a few surviving until the late 1980s.

So it all depends on where you place 'modern image' on the calendar.

Yep that's answered the question, yes it would look out of place thus maybe put on a shelf or sat on a siding heavily weathered and for the hell of it...modern image from 2012 onwards.

It just looks really good, anyway what is used today if a diesel loco completely comes off the tracks?

Very witty. Though if you really can't tell the difference between someone whose interest you've piqued, and someone you've really pissed off, you may want to put a relationship counsellor on your phone on speed dial.

I can certainly tell that you were very concerned about which side of the display cabinets you stood to view them, but that most others didn't have a problem with. Maybe you need a consultation with that counsellor.

G

Yep that's answered the question, yes it would look out of place thus maybe put on a shelf or sat on a siding heavily weathered and for the hell of it...modern image from 2012 onwards.

It just looks really good, anyway what is used today if a diesel loco completely comes off the tracks?

I think they just throw it away and buy another one?