Bachmann at Warley 2017

it's-er

• RMweb Premium

The Class 90 looks superb and will pull me over to AC, forget about the Hornby variant as it should be consigned to the toy bin or history and had it's day about 10 years ago.

For modern image modelers like myself Bachmann, Dapol and even DJ Models are leading the way going forward with Hornby sadly falling way behind but I do like their Class 60/67's but that's about it, they are still the best for Steam aficionado's.

Apologies for going O/T.

Hornby are not falling behind - is it just because they haven't released the latest wiz-bang loco? What about previous releases such the 50, 56, 31? (Ok - I know some don't like the Hornby 31), the 08, the HST power cars. (I realise that 08 are not modern image*, but I'm unfortunately having to use it to describe anything non-steam) That's certainly a longer list than Dapol or DJM. In my eyes, there's only one non-steam loco that surpasses Hornby's 60 in current production - and that's a close run thing.

What loco would you like Hornby to do next? Maybe the 87?  The IEP?  Ah - they're already doing those.........

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

“We are progressing positively with re-engineering a number of models that have been in the catalogue for a while and with the high profile of these items, the focus is in delivering fidelity to prototype that is not compromised by timescale”.

So it’s going to be a few more years before the re-tooled Class 158 appears then.

Corporatespeak strikes again.

Darius

Ditto the 2 HAP by the looks of it.

I was told that there are at least two separate lamp tooling dependant on which version they are sold with, I can't remember which pattern lamps they are though I'm afraid.

Cheers

J

Here are two cropped shots of J72s, showing 1749 (1899 batch) and 2173 (1914 batch).

1749 shows a lamp with the handle possibly aligned side to side (though much finer than the handle on the EP sample), It's faint, so difficult to be sure. Certainly other early NER classes did carry lamps with side to side handles, so I stand corrected.

However, the Class E alongside (J71) has a fore and aft handle which can be seen very faintly. In addition, the shot of 2173 in works grey shows only lamps with fore and aft handles. Looking at lamps on other NER classes leads me to conclude that fore and aft handles were normal from the early years of the 20th Century. I have a picture of 66 Aerolite in works grey in its 1902 rebuilt form showing lamps of this pattern.

Hopefully Andy Y can get this message across - lamps with side to side handles should be used with caution. If the other pattern of lamp modelled by Bachmann is not correct, happily Modelu can supply 3D prints of the correct type.

Regards,

Roy

post-24552-0-22575800-1511801859_thumb.jpg

post-24552-0-88364400-1511801868.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, thank you for repeating what I have already said - that these goodies were kept away from non-members.

Personally I have no interest in talking to the long-suffering development team, and if Bachmann want to keep them segregated from us great unwashed in some sort of lounge that's fine by me. As far as I'm concerned their members are most welcome to that, the dancing girls and the free caviar.

But I'm not sure why Bachmann thinks preventing potential customers from seeing actual samples makes any sense at all. And the things you highlight - effectively "you can look on here at photos of the samples I've seen up close" - are precisely what is pissing me off.

So Hornby gets a fail for boring most of us; while Bachmann for me also gets a fail for saying "hey, we've got some fantastic samples here - but *you* aren't allowed to look at them. Just ###### orf and place your order blind, sonny".

No amount of positive spin from you alters that fact. But thank you for trying.

Paul

Well,

I’m not sure what your getting your pants in a twist about.

Maybe I’m not privy, but I’m actually in the club and all I got to see was the other side of the display

cases to you peasants ......was there a password I had to say or “ please mister can I touch your model”.

You pay more to get something extra, if you can’t be arsed to pay more don’t expect any extra. You’ll still buy their products unless your gonna scratch build a class 90....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So conversation part 4...

Bloke walks up and says; you know 2018 is 60 years since D200 first saw service, and 30 years since last class 40 in service.

Bachmann response: go whistle.

Boom boom.. hat coat..exit.

(Laugh it took me 30 seconds to think of that).

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

Seems pretty clear cut, You pay a premium to be allowed in to see the EP's, and livery samples. Pictures of these, which are slightly less blurry than some of the pictures taken at the show (hat, coat, etc) end up all over forums and social media anyways, as Andy Y has already posted. Thanks Andy, and others that have posted pictures. 

As someone on the far side of the world, this is the only way I'll ever be able to see these items without purchasing them. So it actually has the opposite effect for me, without these, I would actually be purchasing blindly. I'm not sure that there's anyone that would be so offended that they weren't able to see these items that it would stop them from buying them, but each to their own I suppose. 

You pay more to get something extra, if you can’t be arsed to pay more don’t expect any extra. You’ll still buy their products unless your gonna scratch build a class 90....

I for one am not game enough to attempt to scratch build my own H2.. 

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 1

When did Dumbleton Hall become an unlined product? The original catalogue image showed lined livery. Is this the first we've heard of the change of plan or did I miss something? I'm not complaining at all, just a bit perplexed.

Its a sale lost to me (as I have a bit of a developing SDR collection), but at the same time I don't mind as its really a 43xx and Manor I'm really after for my new project. Good to hear the former is being discussed and I hope this talk proves to be true, even if I agree with what seems to be the general consensus - a Manor would be my preferred choice.

The J72s look fantastic, and I am excited to see the H2.

• Like 1

When did Dumbleton Hall become an unlined product? The original catalogue image showed lined livery. Is this the first we've heard of the change of plan or did I miss something? I'm not complaining at all, just a bit perplexed.

Its a sale lost to me (as I have a bit of a developing SDR collection), but at the same time I don't mind as its really a 43xx and Manor I'm really after for my new project. Good to hear the former is being discussed and I hope this talk proves to be true, even if I agree with what seems to be the general consensus - a Manor would be my preferred choice.

The J72s look fantastic, and I am excited to see the H2.

Hi

Yes I'm watching with interest with both manor and 43xx on the list and it dosent really bother me witch one is first

Thanks

Alan

• Like 2

I'll throw my twopennorth in re: the GWR mogul and Manor. Personally, the mogul would be the more useful model: a bigger class, went through a number of mods, varioations and liveries, were maids of all work, and found all over the GWR system: from Cornwall to Birkenhead, from London to Fishguard, and all types of train: express parcels, perishable goods, secondary main line all-stoppers etc. My dream 1947 GWR layout would require three or four of the beasts. 

The Manors meanwhile, are handsome locos, are namers, are popular in preservation, and were very much the flagships of the Cambrian Coast Express. But, they were geographically pretty restricted throughout their lives; confined mostly to North Wales and the West Midlands in both GWR and BR days; you'd be hard pushed to find one anywhere between London and Penzance, or in South Wales. I'd probably need one, at a push two for my dream layout, but no more. 

I want both, but really you are comparing an LMS Crab type loco versus a Jubilee type loco; or a Southern N or U class mogul versus a Schools Class. There's room for both but they are very different locos. I wouldn't mind this debate over which ought to come first but they share the same drivring wheels and tender anyway!

CoY

With the crane I would certainly have preferred it to be permanently in the down position without the operating gimmicks (which let’s face it are not going to be used for the majority) and in the process keep the price down.

But it seems to be the way forward for Bachmann to go all out on the gimmicks in order to maintain as high a price point as possible

Some will want to pose the crane in a working position so fixing it in the down position would put some people off buying it.

I'll throw my twopennorth in re: the GWR mogul and Manor. Personally, the mogul would be the more useful model: a bigger class, went through a number of mods, varioations and liveries, were maids of all work, and found all over the GWR system: from Cornwall to Birkenhead, from London to Fishguard, and all types of train: express parcels, perishable goods, secondary main line all-stoppers etc. My dream 1947 GWR layout would require three or four of the beasts. 

The Manors meanwhile, are handsome locos, are namers, are popular in preservation, and were very much the flagships of the Cambrian Coast Express. But, they were geographically pretty restricted throughout their lives; confined mostly to North Wales and the West Midlands in both GWR and BR days; you'd be hard pushed to find one anywhere between London and Penzance, or in South Wales. I'd probably need one, at a push two for my dream layout, but no more. 

I want both, but really you are comparing an LMS Crab type loco versus a Jubilee type loco; or a Southern N or U class mogul versus a Schools Class. There's room for both but they are very different locos. I wouldn't mind this debate over which ought to come first but they share the same drivring wheels and tender anyway!

CoY

There was about half a dozen Manors allocated to Reading and Didcot and they were very common in South Wales and the South West. Probably one of the few GWR classes to get everywhere from Birkenhead to Penzance.

BR allocations here. http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=class&id=146007&type=S&page=alloc

Jason

• RMweb Gold

There was about half a dozen Manors allocated to Reading and Didcot and they were very common in South Wales and the South West. Probably one of the few GWR classes to get everywhere from Birkenhead to Penzance.

BR allocations here. http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=class&id=146007&type=S&page=alloc

Jason

True, but the Moguls did the same, for many more years but with much the same endpoint, and got to all sorts of places Manors never reached (Barnstaple/Ilfracombe being just one example). That said, I treasure the memory of being behind double headed Manors climbing up to Talerddig.

• RMweb Gold

Having never been in the hallowed chambers of the Bachmann Collectors Club lounge, but, as they seem to segregate their customers by whether or not they pay an extra few quid for a magazine and a bottle of water, (I don't believe the dancing girls and caviar by the way), are modellers further segregated once inside and individual chairs are provided for OO/EM/P4 types?, further compartmentalised into steam/diesel/electric and then era interests, if so, it must get hellish complicated in there, no wonder Bachmann have trouble satisfying the market with all that going on.

Mike.

Why are GWR modellers so "conservative" - you've already had the "popular" 43xx Mogul and Manor 4-6-0, why not an 26xx "Aberdare" 2-6-0, much more interesting ;

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/ac/2-6-0_GWR_Aberdare_Official_Photo.jpg/1200px-2-6-0_GWR_Aberdare_Official_Photo.jpg

1200px-2-6-0_GWR_Aberdare_Official_Photo

(By the way, Heljan's "O" gauge Manor means that they MAY do an "OO" gauge one, so a Mogul might be safer for Bachmann.)

Go on, be brave, ask for an Aberdare (or even a "Kruger").

Edited by phil gollin

• RMweb Gold

Was there any update on the POT post office coach please? I was hoping it maybe out by Christmas but Hattons still have an undecorated sample as the pics on their website. Ta

I noticed the blue grey one on display, looked pretty good, you can see most of the Royal Mail one here..

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/128462-Bachmann-at-warley-2017/?p=2938166

Having never been in the hallowed chambers of the Bachmann Collectors Club lounge, but, as they seem to segregate their customers by whether or not they pay an extra few quid for a magazine and a bottle of water, (I don't believe the dancing girls and caviar by the way), are modellers further segregated once inside and individual chairs are provided for OO/EM/P4 types?, further compartmentalised into steam/diesel/electric and then era interests, if so, it must get hellish complicated in there, no wonder Bachmann have trouble satisfying the market with all that going on.

Mike.

Yes. Clearly the answer is to do the full Cartmanland/Brockian Ultra-Cricket you-can't-come thing and build a wall around the whole stand. Then I can at least pretend that's an EP of a J69... :tomato:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

(By the way, Heljan's "O" gauge Manor means that they MAY do an "OO" gauge one, so a Mogul might be safer for Bachmann.)

Heljan Manor? That’s a new one on me. I know that Heljan are planning an O Gauge 43xx Mogul so either one may be also done in OO Gauge by them. By the by, do yo have a link to the Heljan Manor? I did a quick google search but nothing came up.

Mike.

By hell you do talk daft.