Bachmann at Warley 2017

it's-er

Warley Update from Bachmann Europe

At the Warley Exhibition this weekend (25th / 26th November 2017) Bachmann Europe were able to show progress on several exciting forthcoming products to visitors to their stand.

EP (Engineering Prototype) Samples were shown in the Bachmann Collectors Club ‘Members Lounge’ for the first time of the OO Scale Branchline:

(All images courtesy of Bachmann Europe)

Class 90 Electric locomotive

32-610.jpg

32-611.jpg

32-612.jpg

The J72 0-6-0 (four tooling variants)

BR-J72 1.jpg

BR-J72 2.jpg

LNER-J72.jpg

NER-J72.jpg

The Ransomes & Rapier Steam Crane

38-800 1.jpg

38-800 2.jpg

38-802 1.jpg

38-802 2.jpg

The Club Members Lounge is available to Bachmann Collectors Club members at the Warley and Alexandra Palace shows each year. Those wishing to visit the lounge at future shows can do so by joining the Bachmann Collectors Club by calling the club office on 01455 245565 or by visiting the website at www.Bachmann-collectorsclub.co.uk

Also on display were the Mark 2F Coaches which are currently awaiting livery samples from the factory, the artwork having recently been completed.

Also making their exhibition debut were livery samples of the:

LB&SCR Class H2 4-4-2 Atlantic locomotive

31-920.jpg

31-921.jpg

OO9 former War Department Baldwin Class 10-12-D (in production)

391-025.jpg

391-026.jpg

391-027.jpg

391-028.jpg

Freightliner Flats and Containers

38-625.jpg

38-626.jpg

38-627.jpg

38-628.jpg

Carflats

38-900.jpg

38-901.jpg

38-902.jpg

Class 66 No. 66779 ‘Evening Star’

32-983.PS.jpg

371-398.jpg

Stephen Tooley, head of Bachmann’s Research and Development Team said today ‘’work is progressing on all fronts with the ever-growing ranges within the Bachmann Europe product portfolio. Developments within the Narrow Gauge OO9 category have met with extremely positive feedback, reflected in the order commitments seen and it is our intention to further develop the range. Continued design innovations will further enhance our latest product’s and these have been demonstrated in many items displayed in the Bachmann lounge during the weekend, especially within the Branchline category. In addition, a number of products previously only shown as grey engineering samples, were presented in the full livery for the first time and we look forward to bringing these products to market in the near future. We are progressing positively with re-engineering a number of models that have been in the catalogue for a while and with the high profile of these items, the focus is in delivering fidelity to prototype that is not compromised by timescale”.

Additional images:

32-393DS.jpg

32-789.jpg

32-790.jpg

371-658.jpg

371-659.jpg

32-002A.jpg

32-007.jpg

393-026.jpg

393-050.jpg

393-051.jpg

393-052.jpg

393-053.jpg

• Like 17

I had the privilege of holding one of the 90s and having a good look at it. It really is a lovely model. Etched horn grille and roof top grilles. Different buffer beam arrangements available.the recessed Marker headlight clusters properly represented, with the clear plastic covers on top. The freightliner flats were superb. I think I will run mine with no containers on as the detailing is so lovely. The crane is also a work of art. Well done Bachmann

• Like 2

Warley Update from Bachmann Europe

At the Warley Exhibition this weekend (25th / 26th November 2017) Bachmann Europe were able to show progress on several exciting forthcoming products to visitors to their stand.

EP (Engineering Prototype) Samples were shown in the Bachmann Collectors Club ‘Members Lounge’ for the first time of the OO Scale Branchline:

Class 90 Electric locomotive

attachicon.gif32-610.jpg

attachicon.gif32-611.jpg

attachicon.gif32-612.jpg

The J72 0-6-0 (four tooling variants)

attachicon.gifBR-J72 1.jpg

attachicon.gifBR-J72 2.jpg

attachicon.gifLNER-J72.jpg

attachicon.gifNER-J72.jpg

The Ransomes & Rapier Steam Crane

attachicon.gif38-800 1.jpg

attachicon.gif38-800 2.jpg

attachicon.gif38-802 1.jpg

attachicon.gif38-802 2.jpg

The Club Members Lounge is available to Bachmann Collectors Club members at the Warley and Alexandra Palace shows each year. Those wishing to visit the lounge at future shows can do so by joining the Bachmann Collectors Club by calling the club office on 01455 245565 or by visiting the website at www.Bachmann-collectorsclub.co.uk

Also on display were the Mark 2F Coaches which are currently awaiting livery samples from the factory, the artwork having recently been completed.

Also making their exhibition debut were livery samples of the:

LB&SCR Class H2 4-4-2 Atlantic locomotive

attachicon.gif31-920.jpg

attachicon.gif31-921.jpg

OO9 former War Department Baldwin Class 10-12-D (in production)

attachicon.gif391-025.jpg

attachicon.gif391-026.jpg

attachicon.gif391-027.jpg

attachicon.gif391-028.jpg

Freightliner Flats and Containers

Carflats

Class 66 No. 66779 ‘Evening Star’

Stephen Tooley, head of Bachmann’s Research and Development Team said today ‘’work is progressing on all fronts with the ever-growing ranges within the Bachmann Europe product portfolio. Developments within the Narrow Gauge OO9 category have met with extremely positive feedback, reflected in the order commitments seen and it is our intention to further develop the range. Continued design innovations will further enhance our latest product’s and these have been demonstrated in many items displayed in the Bachmann lounge during the weekend, especially within the Branchline category. In addition, a number of products previously only shown as grey engineering samples, were presented in the full livery for the first time and we look forward to bringing these products to market in the near future. We are progressing positively with re-engineering a number of models that have been in the catalogue for a while and with the high profile of these items, the focus is in delivering fidelity to prototype that is not compromised by timescale”.

There's some really lovely-looking stuff there - the crane, the Atlantics and the 90 particularly caught my eye. I'm hugely looking forward to seeing these emerge onto the market.

But I find their policy of only showing EPs to their members at Warley to be utterly bizarre. They are, I take it, saying that members get privileges (something that is necessary, obviously), but those of us who are not members aren't allowed to see these products.

So are us non-members expected to buy them?

Seems strange to stop that part of the market from seeing them, to decide if we want to pre-order (or, maybe, be so wowwed that we might increase our pre-order). In fact, it feels to me as if Bachmann are snubbing non-members like me...

And now I feel as if I'm being a bit churlish.

But the absence of progress on the 158 is still niggling me (still in the design studio, a year after they updated us that it was now ... er ... in the design studio), and having ploughed through that poorly punctuated corporate-speak Andy's quoted I feel a bit irritated.

Those are still some lovely-looking samples, though.

Paul

• Like 3

But I find their policy of only showing EPs to their members at Warley to be utterly bizarre. They are, I take it, saying that members get privileges (something that is necessary, obviously), but those of us who are not members aren't allowed to see these products.

Seems strange to stop that part of the market from seeing them, to decide if we want to pre-order (or, maybe, be so wowwed that we might increase our pre-order). In fact, it feels to me as if Bachmann are snubbing non-members like me...

I'd imagine they want to sell to all potential customers, not just those non-club members who went to the Warley show.

However, I don't think there's anything strange or insidious in restricting them at this stage to offer something a little extra to members by way of an exclusive preview. No doubt the EPs will be on display at future shows they attend for all there to see and, of course, photos of them have been posted here on the forum to engage with a wider audience.

G

Edited by grahame

• Administrators

There's some really lovely-looking stuff there - the crane, the Atlantics and the 90 particularly caught my eye. I'm hugely looking forward to seeing these emerge onto the market.

But the absence of progress on the 158 is still niggling me (still in the design studio, a year after they updated us that it was now ... er ... in the design studio), and having ploughed through that poorly punctuated corporate-speak Andy's quoted I feel a bit irritated.

Those are still some lovely-looking samples, though.

Paul

Non-members get to see photos both here, on social media and in the press. Members get the privilege of seeing them first in the plastic - that's one of the things you pay your money for. That and access to a nice calm lounge to shelter from the maelstrom that is the Warley experience at times.

They also get to talk to the team behind the designs, something that wouldn't be as practical if 17000 people were going to try to do it in two days. The members will make up a useful size focus group for feedback as it will be possible to have proper conversations at the time.

The 158 is in CAD form now, we've not seen those before and would indicate that progress is being made. The images were being shown off on a screen in the lounge and again, I'm sure feedback was being listened to.

• Like 2

Conversations with Bachmann at Warley: (Part 2)

David: Hello. Loving the model of the J72.

Bachmann: Yeah its coming along nicely.

David: Any idea of the price?

Bachmann: We are working on that. Its got a few things to go before we are happy to confirm all that fully.

David: That's great. Can't wait to get a few done up as North East examples.

Bachmann: Oh really..

David: Yeah. Any chance your doing other North Eastern engines - or are they too limited in scope of livery variation and geographical coverage?

Bachmann: Have you been talking to that fool guy on a forum?

David: Don't know what you mean.

Bachmann: Oh right. Sorry. Well its something that we could look into if this all goes well.

David: Cool. Well I'm sure it will.

Bachmann: Great. Thanks for stopping by.

Conversations with Bachmann at Warley: (Part 3)

Harry: Hi Bachmann

Bachmann: Hello

Harry: That steam crane looks amazing.

Bachmann: Oh great.

Harry: Yeah, looks really detailed. Is it going to be working.

Bachmann: It will be yeah. All working using gears and under DCC control.

Harry: Oh wow. I didn't know that. Would be amazing to get one and have that operational then

Bachmann: Yeah, even though the price will rise, it will be on par with what you would pay for European market items of a similar value.

Harry: So its expensive then?

Bachmann: Well we are really reaching the mark of what has been there for some time. Some rises in price are out of our control. Costs in China, transport. Development and tooling costs more.

Harry: Well it looks nice.

Bachmann: Yes, and there will be regional differences so you can get the right one for your area.

Harry: Great. Will have to start saving.

Bachmann: Yeah maybe. We still think it will be popular.

Harry: I bet. And given the quality seen on show with this, and the other stock items like the Mk.2s it looks like Bachmann really are aiming for the quality area of the market.

Bachmann: Well that's the idea, but we try and please everyone.

Harry: No mean feat. Anyway, thanks for the chat.

Bachmann: No problem. Enjoy the show..

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

“We are progressing positively with re-engineering a number of models that have been in the catalogue for a while and with the high profile of these items, the focus is in delivering fidelity to prototype that is not compromised by timescale”.

So it’s going to be a few more years before the re-tooled Class 158 appears then.

Corporatespeak strikes again.

Darius

• Like 1

Non-members get to see photos both here, on social media and in the press. Members get the privilege of seeing them first in the plastic - that's one of the things you pay your money for. That and access to a nice calm lounge to shelter from the maelstrom that is the Warley experience at times.

They also get to talk to the team behind the designs, something that wouldn't be as practical if 17000 people were going to try to do it in two days. The members will make up a useful size focus group for feedback as it will be possible to have proper conversations at the time.

The 158 is in CAD form now, we've not seen those before and would indicate that progress is being made. The images were being shown off on a screen in the lounge and again, I'm sure feedback was being listened to.

Yes, thank you for repeating what I have already said - that these goodies were kept away from non-members.

Personally I have no interest in talking to the long-suffering development team, and if Bachmann want to keep them segregated from us great unwashed in some sort of lounge that's fine by me. As far as I'm concerned their members are most welcome to that, the dancing girls and the free caviar.

But I'm not sure why Bachmann thinks preventing potential customers from seeing actual samples makes any sense at all. And the things you highlight - effectively "you can look on here at photos of the samples I've seen up close" - are precisely what is pissing me off.

So Hornby gets a fail for boring most of us; while Bachmann for me also gets a fail for saying "hey, we've got some fantastic samples here - but *you* aren't allowed to look at them. Just orf and place your order blind, sonny".

No amount of positive spin from you alters that fact. But thank you for trying.

Paul

• Like 2

"Not compromised by timescale"!

If only their customers were similarly uncompromised! Maybe Bachmann are going to branch out into cryogenics so that we can all be revived in time to purchase a Class 158!

Not too long to wait, they are planning on a release in line with their 50th year since introduction in a double pack with a sealed beam 45 that they replaced on Trans Pennines  :jester:

• Like 1

I'm blown away with how beautiful that H2 is. 

Now if you're listening Bachmann, Please, PLEASE, release one in Malachite - I don't care what you want. I don't need both arms, or legs... 

Erm. I might be wrong here but havn't there been photos of a malachite H2 on Saturday or Sunday ?

It looks absolutely splendid to me, but I am not a southern modeller !!!

...Seems strange to stop that part of the market from seeing them, to decide if we want to pre-order (or, maybe, be so wowed that we might increase our pre-order). In fact, it feels to me as if Bachmann are snubbing non-members like me...

I too feel that the proven maxim of 'it pays to advertise' was being ignored here. And would feel a little annoyed had I been able to get to this exhibition that certain items of potential interest were not available for a potential customer to see, because a 'collector's club' has no appeal to me. But hey, that's their right, and those making that decision will stand or fall by the results.

• Like 1