OO gauge Crowdfunded APT-P (Warley announcement)

DJM Dave

• RMweb Gold

Is there any reason why the two power cars can't be wired in parallel. It would solve any problems of one loseing power while the other was still operating.Or would there still be problems of matching speed?

Is there any reason why the two power cars can't be wired in parallel. It would solve any problems of one loseing power while the other was still operating.Or would there still be problems of matching speed?

I think you mean in series that way the two motors share the same current.

• RMweb Gold

I did mean wired in parallel.

If wired in series the motors would only get 6 volts each. In parallel they get the full 12volts each.

I have wired two dmu power cars in parallel and it was very smooth running as each power car also had the benefit of pick up from the other power car's wheels.

I did mean wired in parallel.

If wired in series the motors would only get 6 volts each. In parallel they get the full 12volts each.

I have wired two dmu power cars in parallel and it was very smooth running as each power car also had the benefit of pick up from the other power car's wheels.

Even wiring motors in series won't guarantee that they will both run at the same speed.  The electric motors might not be exactly the same and different frictional forces in the gear train will also affect the running speed.  The differences might not be noticeable to the naked eye but they will still be there.

Regards

Roddy

• RMweb Gold

In this video is a 14 car Hornby APT on my layout. The layout has long gradients. the APT is powered from one of the central power cars using a central can motor mech and flywheels/cardan shafts to Heljan bogie towers. There are no traction tyres.The power car is pushing six vehicles and pulling seven.

If I can build by hand a mech that will shift that lot with no problem there is no reason on earth a factory cannot turn out a mechanism capable of doing the same. 

Please please please leave the traction tyres in the nearest skip.

https://youtu.be/boiIcPWZz3c?t=247

Andi

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Quite a significant part of my career has been in the field of engineering program management, and on the humorous side about 20 years ago I came across the "Normalised Bitterness Curve" (this was pre-internet, so of course I don't have a URL, link, or copy etc.).  It indicated how at the start of a project, there exists a state of euphoria, with the empathy decreasing through the project implementation, until in the middle of testing, there exists a period of hatred, followed by  satisfaction upon delivery.  My approach has to minimise confrontation whenever possible, and to assist the contractor in delivering his product.  Without wishing to be, or appear to be, pushy, authoritarian, or dictatorial, or in anyway upset anyone, I think there stands a better chance of Dave and team producing a great APT if we pushed the Friendly and Supportive button a bit more often, whilst of course providing constructive views.  Besides wanting the APT in all its 14 car glory, I really would like the team to produce one or more of the early AC electrics (AL 2 and 3 for me please!!) and if we assist in making this a rewarding experience the chance of follow on models is improved.

Just a personal view.

JF

A few years ago I posted about the model railway Hype-cycle: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107460-oxford-rail-announces-oo-gauge-mk3-coaches/page-14&do=findComment&comment=2450380

• Like 2

I've just stumbled across an advert for this and thought WOW!- so I've ordered a 10 car set. I might ring up tomorrow and change it to the 14 car set as my model railway, when built a few years down the line in my garden, will have a helix in the corner and the 2 powered cars may be handy. I'm really excited about this- what a time to be a modeller of the ac electrics and now this- just fantastic!

Good luck Dave with everything.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I might ring up tomorrow and change it to the 14 car set as my model railway, when built a few years down the line in my garden, will have a helix in the corner and the 2 powered cars may be handy.

Like me then. I don't have  a layout yet and actually, don't even have a home to put one in as we're in the early stages of planning a house move.

Hopefully by the time the APT arrives, I'll have a home and layout that can take the 14 car set on my helix. (Page 4, post 78)

• Like 1

After some toil and trouble and many (supposed) mis-spent coins- I'm really chuffed to have some wonderful trains saved for a future dream layout. I've saved a few pounds and mis-spent more on rakes of coaches, mainly from the 80s. I remember so well, as a kid, pining for the APT. I received it in the form of an Easter Egg present type thing from my family back in the mid 80s- the most wonderful present and memory one could wish for. That along with the 'City of London' class 87 from my Nan and Grandad- who used to work for BR- one of the good fellows who used to timetable the freight trains on the West Coast Line/South East Network-a genius of man who could complete the Times Crossword by the time of reaching Baker Street after hopping on at North Harrow on the Met.

Edited by gazwire
  • Like 1

Yesterday I was looking through the N Gauge Forum for the APT-P.  Because it is short on numbers to start the project there were a number of suggestions to cut costs such as no tilt or selling it in different 'packs' so the purchaser  can 'mix & match'.

One thing I think could be omitted on the 00 gauge model is the lifting front ends to save on the costs of the details underneath (Removable and poseable nose with NEM coupling pocket on cab front bulkhead'  quote in comment 364).  Who would want to advertise the fact that this iconic model, the future of BR passenger trains fails on test & has to be dragged to the nearest APT depot for repair?  Surely we are buying this model to display it in all its glory snaking through the Lake District fells or the Stafford curves or on your own bit of the WCML?  Yes, we all know it happened but do not wish to be reminded of its failures.  I think omitting these lifting front ends would save on costs & simplify the front/rear end lighting.

Peter

Edited by Crewlisle

• RMweb Premium

Some people have bought one purely to drag it, its an iconic model but they have no OHLE.

Even on the ‘light’ N gauge version being proposed several people have said a removable/posable nose is a necessity.

Given it seems the OO gauge one has sold without issue I’m not sure that messing around with the spec now is wise. You may think it inconceivable, but I’m sure some people have bought it because the lifting nose will be represented.

• RMweb Premium

I have 3 abiding memories of the APT.

1. My trip/cab ride as a BR YTS kid (see page 3 of thread)
  2. Seeing it daily at Shields rd as I passed by on my Ayr-Glasgow commute.
  3. Sitting at the old BR training centre at Rutherglen, that was on the WCML (not the new centre that opened in '86.) Was idly gazing out the south facing window when APT came into view from behind us, e.g. heading towards London. It was slow moving but we all watched as the whole train came into view, a coach at a time, until the very last driving car appeared, being propelled by a class 25 !

I'm buying mine to hopefully one day have a layout big enough to take a 14 car set. It may even have overhead lines. While I don't see me dragging/propelling the unit, I do think for the overall cost/authenticity, that having a lifting nose cone with a conceled NEM socket is an essential. I do however respect those who say it is an uneccessary cost/feature.

• Like 1

I have 3 abiding memories of the APT.

• My trip/cab ride as a BR YTS kid (see page 3 of thread)
  • Seeing it daily at Shields rd as I passed by on my Ayr-Glasgow commute.
  • Sitting at the old BR training centre at Rutherglen, that was on the WCML (not the new centre that opened in '86.) Was idly gazing out the south facing window when APT came into view from behind us, e.g. heading towards London. It was slow moving but we all watched as the whole train came into view, a coach at a time, until the very last driving car appeared, being propelled by a class 25 !
I'm buying mine to hopefully one day have a layout big enough to take a 14 car set. It may even have overhead lines. While I don't see me dragging/propelling the unit, I do think for the overall cost/authenticity, that having a lifting nose cone with a conceled NEM socket is an essential. I do however respect those who say it is an uneccessary cost/feature.

I really like the look of the Dapol ohle and even more so the gantries from N-brass locos. A few years down the I'd really like to use both.

Hi All

Do I recall reading it... (please don't tell me I was dreaming this one :nono: ) Is the APT-P coming with Sound as standard...? I only ask as I have searched most places I thought I read it from memory, and like the APT-E had sound on-board, do I recall reading it somewhere on here or DJM but cant find where now... or and if my dream is shattered ha-ha will there be a sound Buy-Option for this model...? :scratchhead:

Oh DToS Website, is the closest I can find and may have been that...

OO and N Gauge APT Specifications

DCC Sound ready with space for speaker

That's why I have edited this POST to put the APT Specification in above... so I did partly read it and wishing it was a Dream to have it as standard... Doh!

Regards

Jamie

Edited by 7APT7
  • Like 1

Hi All

The APT-P Specification as is on DToS Ordering Page...

1. Working ‘damped’ tilt mechanism
  2. DCC Next22 decoder ready (only needs 1 decoder for whole train) (Next 18 in N gauge)
  3. DCC sound ready with space for a speaker
  4. Directional lighting
  5. Internal subdued coach lighting (controllable on DCC)
  6. Removable and posable nose with NEM coupling pocket on cab front bulkhead
  7. High Quality 5 pole Skew wound motor with twin flywheels (Both gauges)
  8. US outline style drive train and gearing with train geared for 140mph
  9. Cab lighting
  10. Fully decorated interior throughout
  11. Correct pattern and colour seats for 1st and 2nd class
  12. Limited Edition certificate
  13. Close coupling with non-gap corridor connectors
  14. Radius 2 compatible
  15. Dual Power Motor units for longer trains
  16. Etched steel windscreen wipers
  17. Separately applied parts including foot steps, door slider rails
  18. Flush Glazing
  19. Darkened profile wheel sets to RP25-110

Regards

Jamie

• Like 2

Hi All

The APT-P Specification as is on DToS Ordering Page...

1. Working ‘damped’ tilt mechanism
  2. DCC Next22 decoder ready (only needs 1 decoder for whole train) (Next 18 in N gauge)
  3. DCC sound ready with space for a speaker
  4. Directional lighting
  5. Internal subdued coach lighting (controllable on DCC)
  6. Removable and posable nose with NEM coupling pocket on cab front bulkhead
  7. High Quality 5 pole Skew wound motor with twin flywheels (Both gauges)
  8. US outline style drive train and gearing with train geared for 140mph
  9. Cab lighting
  10. Fully decorated interior throughout
  11. Correct pattern and colour seats for 1st and 2nd class
  12. Limited Edition certificate
  13. Close coupling with non-gap corridor connectors
  14. Radius 2 compatible
  15. Dual Power Motor units for longer trains
  16. Etched steel windscreen wipers
  17. Separately applied parts including foot steps, door slider rails
  18. Flush Glazing
  19. Darkened profile wheel sets to RP25-110

Regards

Jamie

Personally, I just hope we all give Dave the support to see this exciting venture through to fruition.  After the party, lets just leave Dave to get on with designing this "monster".  Maybe it would be useful for him to set up a thread specifically for the APT-P, where its strictly for him to chart progress, with RMwebbers to continue to post on here!  This one is nearly 30 pages, and we have only just got past the word "Go!"

Regards,

C.

DJ Models as my 100% backing all the way, from the first time I read there were plans for a new APT-P down in writing on here and I didn't come across this THREAD for some time page 13.

I've also bought several of DJ Models items that he as already produced and all are superbly created and as done a great job, so I don't need to hassle DJM about the end result as I know he will produce an outstanding model for all of us, and will be his best to date, by far but then the APT-P is my most loved train of all time so I'd say that any way, that's why APT is in my User Name aka 7APT7 on here from when I joined several years ago, I'm for it all the way!

Regards

Jamie

• Like 5

Hi Dave,

How's the scanning party shaping up, pun intended, will there be a few of us there?   Looking forward to it and getting to crawl all over the real thing...

See you there

Peter.

Also when will you be sending out the rest of the invites Dave and are there any special guests attending?

Also when will you be sending out the rest of the invites Dave and are there any special guests attending?

Hi

I sent Dave an email to info@djmodels.co.uk with the header being:- 'Scanning Party RSVP'

along with... Please add my name(s) Jamie... to the Invite List to enable me to gain access in to Crewe Heritage Centre on June 02nd, 2018 and the Scanning that will take place on the day.

I look forward to meeting all of you who will be attending.

Regards

Jamie

Hi everyone,

With further deposit payments received this morning, i can confirm that everyone who has paid their deposit to date has had an invitation with an RSVP request sent to them.

If you have paid your deposit and would like to attend the event and have not received your invitation, please send me an e-mail directly to info@djmodels.co.uk

I'll then put your name down on the list for attending.

A small update re the scanning party, is that Peter Purves is unable to attend due to a prior engagement.

However, the rest of the announced presentations etc are, as of this morning, still due to happen, at least once, possibly more over the course of the day.

there will not be a 'finish' time to this event, merely when everyone has had enough and drifts away / when Crewe normal Saturday closing time happens (which ever is the earliest).

I'll be posting 'joining instructions' here and to my website and will mail everyone as well, by the early part of next week.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 4