OO gauge Crowdfunded APT-P (Warley announcement)

DJM Dave

as an aside, Kit (Mr APT) sends his apologies as he wont ge able to make tomorrow after suffering a hear attack early this week, and is in hospital recovering. I've sent him my best wishes, and he's upset he wont be there tomorrow.

Grrrrr, what an example of poor timing on my part, eh?  :fool:

I'm sorry I couldn't make it, and it looks to have been a really great day too, apart from the weather. Even more sorry that I couldn't make it tilt again with the aid of my 'Little Blue Box', but as soon as I've made a couple more Brian will have one to keep at Crewe for demos.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Really enjoyed the visit to the Crewe Heritage Centre for the Scanning party yesterday. My other half couldn't believe the weather was so poor just 30 or so miles further north.

Thanks to everyone who help organise the event. To my shame I haven't been to the Crewe Heritage Centre before.

Here are a couple of Flickr Albums for you to have a look at:

Heritage Centre: https://www.flickr.com/photos/trickymundo2009/albums/72157669718091568

APT-P only: https://www.flickr.com/photos/trickymundo2009/albums/72157695870617621

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Here another album of APT photos. It includes the APT-E at York; a couple of the APT-P on the WCML at Madeley, Staffordshire; and a shot of an unnumbered APT-P at either Crewe or Derby.

Three of the photos were taken by my dad and the Crewe/Derby one was either me or my dad.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/trickymundo2009/albums/72157645511424974

Hi 

Pretty certain I have seen photo the twin bogie vehicle on a test train - it had to be marshalled next to a Pc and before the brake vehicle of a half set. 

Well given progress on other projects time from Scan/ measuring to working sets I would expect around 10 to 12 months and the 4mm 1980s WCML layouts will be full of models. Just need some 2mm action - there is a 2mm 3D print version I have seen in the past on Shapeways that showed much promise, The lovely cut and shunt on Kings Park so it can and has been done. Go Dave you know you want to.

Robert   

like this

https://www.flickr.com/photos/steam60163/5594967666/in/photolist-9wpEXL-bLChUx-nz1zhX-7LEDaq-22xKrSS-p32vrN-9pKRwv-7M261A-dNPJdS-dNPHR1-dNJGT6-gogoWU-dNJLx8-dNQjFs-dNQpEb-EFmeWf-bnV8TR-dNJgBp-dNQdUG-9wxYsb-dNQgZA-fnyLAF-dNQnxA-YV7V2C-6up5Eq-dNJihc-dNQguJ-9wy145-dNJAtv-dNPYEm-dNJQvM-eaa7je-dNJp52-TLBdeG-dNQ17u-i755gD-5AyamP-nswQTd-dNJAFP-9NQC17-oHfSFk-eaa7Xp-hXMkmU-pzqUSx-e1NfPA-Dg3vwQ-86NL8M-eAhrEP-dNJNzt-ZgwPaF

https://www.flickr.com/photos/adogriff/4334255293/in/photolist-7B1c6x-9qCo4K-2W7nM-eaArw9-4z9sJF-hWTufN-8nk8nC-rfPBUy-cdtdTC-9gvkEm-81dBre-XMMo1B-Xww3en-VzsWvU-9ykTY5-adUEnZ-aqaE83-7Yn9we-nm85aP-7oJ3pW-kB4Fz7-pmvVjM-UVWTzC-YvwJ5b-gCwYrA-7mtzps-qd1ccb-GsJ9f6-egWgEK-8qxxVr-iw1tb-rhZDkd-92Rbd3-dXrwBX-r1whkL-VDNi2D-aMDSHp-ppbVJH-devYEv-q9HK9A-a9n49w-aqaDFA-6x3cTE-858ZX3-dRMqRs-7dFKRG-bh6Phn-6QwGdE-BaqmtD-72zTgr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dodger5450/8275919048/in/photolist-iax85T-p4VWWi-7fymNs-EKyJRn-dBjfps-8SCQmH-rndvpP-H4YNar-8SFHs9-5aEzEn-bxS68i-5fCNaS-cMvCeo-hX4ewF-bhAVC8-fUrFGU-gogoWU-4Daob1-oU3JRf-YV7V2C-eaa7je-a9heU8-dD27DS-eaa7Xp-4D6878-9Hgb1e-bnV8TR-cXoXKN-eaa32n-a7PUZ-bszhYZ-qKceRQ-eaa9Bz-zoF5P-fGmMRh-ixvULh-fjThbm-XijFEK-RtrbtT-kB3BqC-ehYQ2T-e9aZzK-VFfgC8-VzsWvU-is4f4r-ehYQoe-QaSsFw-eafB2u-7V9mL-fC7zkM/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/71592768@N08/12192686576/in/photolist-jzqGW5-qy4Buz-stbhy2-6C7vxu-6CpEHu-4NW4jd-6vhQPv-9GPUVm-eaa7Xp-8ejMgd-eRXmzk-6oLUwU-YgJySB-iax85T-dnqmfK-8d1jNP-8JSnAn-dotMR4-fN8zK8-aP5wLx-deW3Mq-a4oSft-GwXc4v-cH1uFy-a4PgDv-24UMP14-7fymNs-qXMnq8-8hD288-6eoUH8-8yDU5a-8yGYqq-69XXLj-G4Q3Bg-dFFWJK-fMCWMw-he2Ngd-WyvcNs-8HpqQ7-bxS68i-he2M7E-rbwbn7-bERAx3-9b143E-fnRuEL-6XWWkK-dnqmb4-nN87sT-9bgXgo-8d1k4D

and I even stumbled across a photo of an APT at Newcastle of all places. Unfortunately no bogied coach here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/55727763@N02/5168070984

The twin bogie coach was the foreunner of the Mk IVs, and was tested at some length to see how it behaved relative to the articulated versions. I'm told it was tested in the POPII consist, at one end obviously, but I've never seen a pic of that.

I saw it parked on its own south of Peterborough sometime in the '90s, but I can't recall exactly when.

The APT-P ECML tests were to measure its aerodynamic drag and the 37s propelled it to the top of a bank and let go while the aerodynamics guys took measurements. Quite why they couldn't have done that on Beattock or Shap I don't know, but they didn't.

More accurately, Mr_Tilt knows the answer to every question on the prototype anyone in this thread could possibly ask ;)

Thanks for your confidence in me  :D  I'm not sure I know the answer to EVERY question anyone could possibly ask, but I do know a fair amount about the whole project.

I'm very happy to spread the word about too, so much stuff has become 'hidden' in the past and there's no reason for that. 

• Like 3

Evening...

Just to add to the positive comments from yesterdays scanning party.

Despite the inclement weather which saw me turning up absolutely drenched I had a really good day. I hadn't been to the Heritage Centre before, nor seen the APT-P in real life.

It was reassuring to witness Dave and Mick's passion, enthusiasm and motivation behind the project.

Also I know we can ask questions and request features on here but being able to talk to Dave and Mick in person was a reason I'm glad I attended.

Of course it was good to meet fellow crowdfunders too - as we all share a common interest!

So thanks to Dave, Mick, Michelle, Brian and the Heritage Centre staff for a great event!

Hat's off to Brian too. After the steps had been persuaded to depart the grassy area, Brian went back to tidy things up, which he didn't have to do but it made our photographs a bit nicer - so cheers!

Stephen
(No hair, blue soggy coat)

Id just like to say a big thank you to Mick,Dave and the team at Crewe Heritage Centre for a thoroughly enjoyable day out, well worth the return trip down from Scotland, you guys are obviously really passionate about the project and have a real eye for detail, just make sure you get the tartan seats right!!

Id just like to say a big thank you to Mick,Dave and the team at Crewe Heritage Centre for a thoroughly enjoyable day out, well worth the return trip down from Scotland, you guys are obviously really passionate about the project and have a real eye for detail, just make sure you get the tartan seats right!!

• Like 2

The twin bogie coach was the foreunner of the Mk IVs, and was tested at some length to see how it behaved relative to the articulated versions. I'm told it was tested in the POPII consist, at one end obviously, but I've never seen a pic of that.

I saw it parked on its own south of Peterborough sometime in the '90s, but I can't recall exactly when.

The APT-P ECML tests were to measure its aerodynamic drag and the 37s propelled it to the top of a bank and let go while the aerodynamics guys took measurements. Quite why they couldn't have done that on Beattock or Shap I don't know, but they didn't.

Mr Tilt - Were they testing with one full APT-P set for the ECML aerodynamic tests? Only I was a bit surprised to see what looked like a second APT set with its nose cone up in the background in the pictures at Heaton. But I wasn't sure if it was just a full set split into 2 for stabling, even if one would need turning to reform

• RMweb Gold

I toyed with the idea of building one of these with the remains of the Hornby sets after chopping up for intermediate coaches. It would mean a lot of work though as the bogies are closer to the end of the vehicle than the TBFs so would not only need material to be removed from the ends and making good but the drawbar would need shortening in some way too. I opted to make a DAV4 instead (not complete ...... )

Mr Tilt - Were they testing with one full APT-P set for the ECML aerodynamic tests? Only I was a bit surprised to see what looked like a second APT set with its nose cone up in the background in the pictures at Heaton. But I wasn't sure if it was just a full set split into 2 for stabling, even if one would need turning to reform

AFAIK, yes, but it would have been pretty easy to turn the half set at Newcastle, just run it round the loop through the Central Station and over the bridges. We did exactly that with POP-Train to avoid having to run south with Lab 3 at the 'wrong' end of the train. 

More on the 'twin bogie' coach, according to Departmentals.com it was entitled 'Lab 2', although I've never seen a pic of it as such. Its number was 977527, and they have a quite good B&W pic of it taken in the RTC Yard with what looks like the No. 4 H4X bogie from POPII in the background, which would put it in the mid-80s sometime.

977527.jpg

Edited by Mr_Tilt
  • Like 6

AFAIK, yes, but it would have been pretty easy to turn the half set at Newcastle, just run it round the loop through the Central Station and over the bridges. We did exactly that with POP-Train to avoid having to run south with Lab 3 at the 'wrong' end of the train. 

More on the 'twin bogie' coach, according to Departmentals.com it was entitled 'Lab 2', although I've never seen a pic of it as such. Its number was 977527, and they have a quite good B&W pic of it taken in the RTC Yard with what looks like the No. 4 H4X bogie from POPII in the background, which would put it in the mid-80s sometime.

977527.jpg

Hi Kit,

Hope your well on the mend

thats a great pic, and i wonder just how long before it was sent scrap the pic was taken?

cheers

Dave

• Like 2

........ It was raining slightly so sorry about the water on the lens it was the best I could do to enable me to understand how it all worked and I think to enable the Pantograph to remain stable while the APT-P was in Tilt Mode, the linkage arm enabled the pantograph to remain static.

Almost, the linkage was to keep the pantograph centered on the o'head wire when the loco tilted in the curves. If it hadn't have been there the panto head would have shot off sideways with disastrous results. The pantograph itself was mounted on lateral swing links above the roof so that it could 'anti-tilt' when the loco tilted, driven by the links on the bogie and the socking great shafts that went up through the body.

The whole shooting match was tested on the dreaded 'Lab 24 Trestrol', as seen below.

X07W1f.jpg

• Like 2

Ha-Ha, I came across this photo with the coach off the centre power car...which I'm guessing with only ever being just one, will be No.977527, would that be correct Kit, being only One Made...?

attachicon.gifAPT-P RMWeb 5.jpg

Regards

Jamie

That's a great pic Jamie, I've not seen that before, and yes, like 'Highlander', there was only one.  :D

AFAIK not an awful lot of 977527 got transferred to the Mk IVs, it had totally different bogies, it had the 'low rider' APT-P type body shell and it tilted, which the Mk IVs never did sadly. I imagine that it just proved the concept of a non-articulated very high speed coach dynamically.

Most of my pic library is of POP-Train, E-Train and Hastings coach, and they're all on the APT-E web site at http://www.apt-e.org/. There are two Collections of mine on there, one at http://www.apt-e.org/kit/kit.htm and the other at http://www.apt-e.org/Kit2/Kits%20Collection%202.html

The other pics I've posted on here come from in depth delving on the Net and ones that people have sent me.

Indeed, much more than you get on a Standard Class Pendolino these days.

I was surprised quite how much leg room there was when I travelled on that very first run on Dec 7th 1981. I was in the very last row of seats on the train, backing onto the rear cab effectively, and had plenty of room even for my 6'1" height all the way to Euston. Of course I wasn't sitting there the entire time...........  :D

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Looking at Jamie’s photos, will the model have the red lights behind that strip below the window opposite the buffet counter?

Andi

More importantly, will it have the steward in the toilet who I can only assume was there to.... NO STOP IT...

Roy

More importantly, will it have the steward in the toilet who I can only assume was there to.... NO STOP IT...

Roy

Must say I found the steward a little disconcerting each time you walked past