OO gauge Crowdfunded APT-P (Warley announcement)

DJM Dave

So when the APT-P was in passenger service, with the train pretty much split in the middle by the power cars - was there 2 guards on board, one in each half? or would the guard have travelled through both power cars en-route?

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

Today i hope to have some first renderings from the point cloud of the APT-P which was laser scanned with some of you present last Saturday at Crewe.

I have in the meantime attached 3 x panoramic files which you can download via...... http://www.fsoft.it/FSPViewer/download/

Meanwhile if you want to look at them as Jpegs on your system feel free to save the pics below (although you can also view them here too.

cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-86233100-1528383281_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-75397600-1528383290_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-74614600-1528383300_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

And here are some images (rough and ready) from the point cloud of the APT. please note these are not panoramic, merely standard Jpegs.

Please note the work has now started on processing these into usable images the final cad to snd to China for design with a view to tooling.

However i do not expect anything tangible for 2-3 weeks from the laser guys.

post-1144-0-69054100-1528383843.jpg

post-1144-0-84303000-1528383852.jpg

• Like 10

IIRC the P-Trains had total retention toilets, which would have made it the first on UK's railways I think, but I'd be open to suggestions otherwise.

And thankfully a first and a last?.  They were equipped with good old caravan-style Elsan Blue bogs and retention tanks - leaving the freshly flushed bog a fetching shade of dark blue and that awful Elsan Blue smell.  We had no amount of bother as the sets required "unique" for APT use only bog paper or the system blocked up which it did when used with the standard BR weapons grade bog paper - needless to say there was never enough of the special APT bog paper for the service when you needed it.  At the depots we had bowsers for disposing of the effluent and replenishing the Elsan Blue.  Thank goodness BR was by this time building stock with ordinary CET tanks and depots equipped with full length CET/flushing aprons.

Hi All 

This was the Main Door Control System, both were by the Guard's Compartment, I never noticed if these Panels where on Every Door to getting On/Off the APT-P.

Left Side Door Access Controls

attachicon.gifAPT-P Crewe Heritage Centre (43).JPG

attachicon.gifAPT-P Crewe Heritage Centre (43) Mod1.jpg

Right Side Door Access Controls

attachicon.gifAPT-P Crewe Heritage Centre (45).JPG

attachicon.gifAPT-P Crewe Heritage Centre (46) Mod1.jpg

Regards

Jamie

The panel was only in the guards area as this was his main panel to close the doors. The other doors had push buttons either on the door itself or on the side panel.

Brian

Hi All

The next Batch is the Parcels area and Guard's Compartment

attachicon.gifAPT-P Crewe Heritage Centre (252) Mod2.jpg

This Area (Kit or Brian will confirm) was the Parcels Luggage Area,

again the Narrow Door that you can see lead on into a small connecting corridor and on into the Main Power Car, possibly used if only one guard per APT-P and used to gain access to the Front/Rear Guard's 2nd compartment and seating area's.  

attachicon.gifAPT-P Crewe Heritage Centre (633).JPG

This was taken Outside the First of Two Guard's Compartment and I'm standing in the Seating Area to show the size of the compartment, and on into the Parcels Luggage Area's.

attachicon.gifAPT-P Crewe Heritage Centre (632).JPG

attachicon.gifAPT-P Crewe Heritage Centre (634).JPG

Inside the Guard's Compartment, the Announcement System and Communication (Kit / Brian) Would this be to the Cab Driver...?

attachicon.gifAPT-P Crewe Heritage Centre (204).JPG

attachicon.gifAPT-P Crewe Heritage Centre (203).JPG

attachicon.gifAPT-P Crewe Heritage Centre (205).JPG

Interesting Panel as you come out of the Guard's Compartment

attachicon.gifAPT-P Crewe Heritage Centre (206).JPG

(Kit / Brian) With the Above Photo, was the Guard in charge of making the APT-P Tilt, then...!?!

Can you shed more Light on the Brake Pressure (Axle 1 / / Axle 2) Is this Tilt Related at all...?

One of the Guards compartments was in a more sorry state than the other as you can probably make out, No Seat, and the Communication System was missing main parts somewhat...!

attachicon.gifAPT-P Crewe Heritage Centre (45).JPG

attachicon.gifAPT-P Crewe Heritage Centre (46).JPG

Regards

Jamie

The tilt system could be turned off and on from here, or independently from each coach behind the panel by the exterior doors. Also the P.A system consisted of the phone for driver / guard comms and the microphone for public annoucements.

Brian

Can someone confirm for me, on the buffet car were the three windows either side of the blanked off section for the bar area differently tinted to the normal ones? 

Hi. The first two were tinted with a small circular clear area so the staff could see out side, then 2 more were blanked off.

Brian

Hi RedgateModels

Sorry been out in my garden, enjoying the nice weather we have at present.

I have looked through my photos to try and help point out the windows within the buffet car on this Side of the Coach in the photos below, maybe Brian or Kit will confirm, what I am about to say, now from what I could see the windows were normal see through, and I'll try and photo explain why...

BUFFET CAR (3of3) and SIX WINDOWS (as seen on the INSIDE)

attachicon.gifAPT-P Crewe Heritage Centre (34) Mod1.jpg

attachicon.gifAPT-P Crewe Heritage Centre (33) Mod1.jpg

Below is the Two Buffet Car Windows taken from outside and Close Up and also seen from inside the Buffet Car, Kitchen area.

attachicon.gifAPT-P Crewe Heritage Centre (33) Mod2.jpg

attachicon.gifAPT-P Crewe Heritage Centre (610).JPG

attachicon.gifAPT-P Crewe Heritage Centre (188).JPG

Hope that Helps, I did notice that even though we see Two Larger Standard windows on the outside, as viewed from inside, in the Kitchen area, we see Two Narrow Type windows.

Regards

Jamie

Hi Jamie.

The storage area you have marked is in fact the bar area where the displays are, the first window then after that is the "crews area", where the circuit breakers, shelving and water inlet pipes are.

Brian

• RMweb Gold

That's great Jamie, the three windows in question are o/b with small circular clear bits as already described. I'll spray the insides of my coach with Matt varnish and not worry about modelling the interior ;)

• Like 1

Hi all.

Just going off topic slightly. What do you think of these ? I have had them reprinted, very good to and to the same dimensions. If your interested in one go on to the APT P UK Class 370 facebook page, where i will give you more details.

Normal service may resume lol.

Brian

post-6042-0-13652900-1528492424_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It’s interesting looking at these pictures but one thing strikes me, they didn’t seem to be designed for passengers carrying luggage.

I didn’t notice a luggage rack in any of the pictures, similarly the overhead bin is tiny.

Hi all.

This is what the guards compartment looked like, sorry for the mess but this is tidy compared to what i inherited lol. There where large racks fastened to the ceiling and the floor that could be adjusted, these i still have behind the display boards.

There was an area in the DTS by the aux room door that was used as a luggage area, not hard to spot now as most seats have been moved around.

The 1st class seats are indeed wider.

Next time your down Jamie i will show you what i mean about the window layout in the buffet car, the last 4 th window is the stoarge/switch room then the 2 blank spaces where the displays are, then the shaded out windows above the sinks.

Brian

post-6042-0-74824100-1528523309_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

The trouble with luggage at one end of the train is people have to walk to / from that end to retrieve it... nice if you stow it at the Glasgow end in Glasgow, less nice at London if ones got to walk to the Glasgow end to go get it, before walking the full length of the APT to exit Euston station... same in VV at Glasgow.

This in the days of compartment stock, with its generous racks above ones head.

For a TSO there wasn’t much tourist thought in it.

The lack of size in the overhead bins on P-Train was the direct result of the tilt system. Because the body shell had to be 'pinched in' at the top and bottom to ensure it cleared the C1 gauge there was less bin width than normal. If they'd have made them 'normal' width people would have been banging their heads on them as they stood up, or even worse as they walked along the central corridor.

The gaps between the first class seat backs were intended to take suitcases slid in sideways, but then they rather ruined that idea by making the chrome arm rest supports wildly over size! IIRC HSTs had the same system at one stage but I'm not sure if that still obtains.

Hi All

All Photos are being transferred across to the Link below, which is still under DJM Dave (User ID)

APT-P Photographs

Any New Photos will continue to be uploaded under the New Topic 'APT-P Photographs' to enable any News updates and Model Talk or Extra Information to do with the Model to continue under this original thread, my apologies for any inconvenience caused in this process. The Photos I have upload under this thread will be deleted once I have transferred them across.

Regards

Jamie

Edited by 7APT7

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

Today i hope to have some first renderings from the point cloud of the APT-P which was laser scanned with some of you present last Saturday at Crewe.

I have in the meantime attached 3 x panoramic files which you can download via...... http://www.fsoft.it/FSPViewer/download/

Meanwhile if you want to look at them as Jpegs on your system feel free to save the pics below (although you can also view them here too.

cheers

Dave

Where are the panoramic images please Dave?

Andi

Where are the panoramic images please Dave?

Andi

Hi mate,

post 860 i believe, sorry, Jamie is in the process of porting his pics onto APT pictures, on this forum, and cleaning this thread up for me, otherwise you would have found them quite easily.

cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hi mate,

post 860 i believe, sorry, Jamie is in the process of porting his pics onto APT pictures, on this forum, and cleaning this thread up for me, otherwise you would have found them quite easily.

cheers

Dave

Only the JPGs on 860 and a link that says it will go to the image files but is to the viewing software but no files.

Edit:

Ah, ignore me, the JPGs open as panoramic in the veiwer...

Andi

Edited by Dagworth

Only the JPGs on 860 and a link that says it will go to the image files but is to the viewing software but no files.

Andi

hi mate,

the files are there on post 860,

a few have managed to download the software and viewed them, but i must admit i havnt yet.

Hopefully Jamie will clear his pics onto the other site soon so that model stuff and chat is easier to find.

cheers

Dave

Hopefully Jamie will clear his pics onto the other site soon so that model stuff and chat is easier to find.

cheers

Dave

Hi All

Yes Dave, All Completed now I think... Doh...!

All photo's have now been transferred including any attached comments from all who have attached a conversation to my Photos, so they are kept in the same Topic and Thread.  It's been great to see so many comments and input over the last few days and some interesting comments and photo that you USERS have already uploaded.

Please See the New Topic APT-P Photographs for any New Photos updates...!

I have enjoyed the feedback and learning about parts of the APT-P that I didn't know before, that can only be a good thing, as you can never have enough knowledge.

I would love to see some Photos of those who attended the Crowd Funding Day on June 02, 2018, this will also allow those who could not attend, to see Crewe Heritage Centre and the APT-P Crowd Funding Day, who knows, I may have missed out on something important. ha-ha...!

Regards

Jamie

Edited by 7APT7