Hornby 2018 Announcements

cal.n

Cute though the ex-GER E4 may be, the clear commonality with the J15 suggests 'wait a while' on this idea to me. (Stratford was into standardisation big time, and very successfully so.) Any small LNER group tender engine of pre-group origin would be good to offset the long time surfeit of big engine power for this group, and Hornby have lately been doing rather well in that direction.

Only one prediction, 46256 Sir William Stanier in BR Maroon but with yellow cab stripe. Despite being withdrawn in 1964, it would still fit with the end of BR steam 50th anniversary in 2018 and would satisfy the demand not filled by the first model, whilst being slightly different.

Definitely with the idea of 'slightly different' applied to the two Ivatt Duchesses, there's no lack of options. Hornby would be mad not to make as much hay as possible with this never previously available variant.

Being a LNER fan I'd like to see a super detailed D49, maybe an E4 and original B16 to compliment already produced models.

However can we not get a range of restaurant vehicles from the Big Four so we can model realistic trains for Hornby's fabulous locomotives to haul

Being an LNER fan, we cannot get a decent vestibule coach, let alone a catering vehicle.

I wish Hornby would announce they are going to do the Gresleys properly.

John

• Like 1

Definitely with the idea of 'slightly different' applied to the two Ivatt Duchesses, there's no lack of options. Hornby would be mad not to make as much hay as possible with this never previously available variant.

I quite agree with that. I might very well manage to hold out against City of Birmingham, despite seeing it close up being jacked along the track in the Birmingham museum may years ago, but what would make me crumble would be a semi in BR blue.

You may be right on that one. Carried for only a matter of weeks, the disfiguring stripe was detested by enthusiasts at the time, but is apparently popular today....At least on RMweb!

Railway Modeller has already done an article on how to apply the stripes as well as some basic detailing and weathering. So I would think that there are probably a few now adorned.

Jason

• RMweb Premium

Been away in the wilds for the last month, has anyone speculated on a Lord Nelson? I am too jet lagged to plough through 36 apges.

You may have missed the alleged catalogue cover which was pixelated out , but which someone recognised as a picture containing a Lord Nelson.   Of course could be a complete red herring.........................

• RMweb Premium

Been away in the wilds for the last month, has anyone speculated on a Lord Nelson? I am too jet lagged to plough through 36 apges.

Yes - just put Nelson in the search box.

There was mention of cute and GER - how about a J69 Buckjumper - Liverpool Street pilot please.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If the Nelson is announced I hope and will be waiting for a schools with a Nelson tender. That would be very pretty :)

I've recently acquired a Railroad Schools and a Bachmann tender with just that in mind, so you may be onto a winner there. :jester:

John

. So a Half Nelson then...

(Ouch)

Just in case someone doesn’t know, the Schools used three Nelson cylinders, leading to them being described as three-quarter Nelsons. Someone is bound to suggest that, because Hornby already has the cylinders, it would be very easy to produce a Nelson around them. :D

• RMweb Gold

Just in case someone doesn’t know, the Schools used three Nelson cylinders, leading to them being described as three-quarter Nelsons. Someone is bound to suggest that, because Hornby already has the cylinders, it would be very easy to produce a Nelson around them. :D

The bogie is the same, too. :jester:

Being an LNER fan, we cannot get a decent vestibule coach, let alone a catering vehicle. I wish Hornby would announce they are going to do the Gresleys properly.

That means cannibalising their own existing gangwayed Gresley stock. Looks like a natural for a competitor TBH. Hattons tooling up O gauge specimens, who knows where that might lead?

With the new version Class 87 due in the next few months, for the InterCity swallow livery version, I would expect Hornby to re-release their Mk 3 DVT in swallow livery, if they are thinking joined up, as the 87s in that livery only ran coach sets with the Mk 3 DVT afaik. The original release in that livery flew off the shelves, and has been very difficult to obtain 2nd hand, probably the most sought after Mk3 DVT. If a new 86 is announced as well!!

Edited by rembrow

When did crimson and cream disappear, for the most part ?

I’m good for Hornby mk1’s but the passengers using them complain they are hungry....

Really started to disappear around 60-61, but a Collett Riviera 2nd and D127 Brake 2nd were used on the last day of the Fairford branch, June 1962. The odd Mk1 was still knocking around the Western into 1964, as indeed were several on the Eastern.

If Hornby want to really make an impact with coaches, then a set of Bulleids - any type - would be manna from heaven. When the competition is Bachmann's antediluvian affairs, Comet or Southern Pride (if you can get them), they'd be onto a sure-fire winner.

As for locos, a LBSCR K mogul or revamped Hawksworth County would be nice...

• Like 1

Really started to disappear around 60-61, but a Collett Riviera 2nd and D127 Brake 2nd were used on the last day of the Fairford branch, June 1962. The odd Mk1 was still knocking around the Western into 1964, as indeed were several on the Eastern.

In fact, blood & custard really started to disappear as soon as the paintshop foremen received a directive to paint all future coaches BR lined maroon in 1956. Slowly at first as is to be expected. Colour albums are a good indication as to percentages of blood & custard to maroon stock in train formations. Still plenty in 1957 and 1958 but far fewer in 1959. Then as the 1920-s built coaches fell due for withdrawal, blood and custard disappeared far more rapidly until by 1963 it was a case of "Ooh look, a blood & custard".  I imagine the livery went from Southern Region stock far more quickly and seemed to last longest on the London Midland Region.

In fact, blood & custard really started to disappear as soon as the paintshop foremen received a directive to paint all future coaches BR lined maroon in 1956. Slowly at first as is to be expected. Colour albums are a good indication as to percentages of blood & custard to maroon stock in train formations. Still plenty in 1957 and 1958 but far fewer in 1959. Then as the 1920-s built coaches fell due for withdrawal, blood and custard disappeared far more rapidly until by 1963 it was a case of "Ooh look, a blood & custard".  I imagine the livery went from Southern Region stock far more quickly and seemed to last longest on the London Midland Region.

Hornby's blood and custard has now become blood and lime! I know because I brought a new Maunsell low window coach last year and the custard does not match my older SK made ones.

You missed, "nothing there for me, another fail Hornby"

And not forgetting that long suffering leather friend, the ever faithful but often hard done by: - 'My Wallet'!

Not to mention "my bank manager" or "SWMBO" who will be variously pleased or troubled.

• RMweb Gold

You may have missed the alleged catalogue cover which was pixelated out , but which someone recognised as a picture containing a Lord Nelson. Of course could be a complete red herring.........................

Err, well, I suppose so, if you look at it from a certain angle, but I think it's a Nelson myself...

post-20773-0-71698300-1515181259.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I can't wait for Monday, when we can start guessing or telling Hornby what I want  now. OK Next year,

As for the Nelson a blue one with half yellow panels coupled to a green one with full yellow panels with the correct headcode to be on a Littlehampton service.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 3