• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Sorry I appreciate it is a diversion from the thread

…..but was Diagram 2406 Brake Comp the appropriate coach for those used on the Atlantic Coast Express in the early 1960s ?

All I can recall is it should have a centre toilet.

I am thinking about purchasing some replacement sides from Wizard Models for some older Bachman Bulleid coaches and a Southern Pride kit I have.

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/carriage/s7s/

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, rprodgers said:

Sorry I appreciate it is a diversion from the thread

…..but was Diagram 2406 Brake Comp the appropriate coach for those used on the Atlantic Coast Express in the early 1960s ?

All I can recall is it should have a centre toilet.

I am thinking about purchasing some replacement sides from Wizard Models for some older Bachman Bulleid coaches and a Southern Pride kit I have.

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/carriage/s7s/

Baccy Bulleids are a tad short for the Comet/Wizard sides. However, not impossible to fettle I am told.

S Pride carcass is ideal and I am sure Dave sells a basic Bulleid 'Kit' without printed sides etc. or at least parts to make one up.

Yes the D2406 was the 'Loose' style BCK and ideal for the ACE ; double Periscopes don't forget.

Do check the Stock for the three or four ACEs on Summer Saturdays though as several had trad Sets with the odd loose Coaches and not necessarily Brakes.

Phil

ATB Phil

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Baccy Bulleids are a tad short for the Comet/Wizard sides. However, not impossible to fettle I am told.

S Pride carcass is ideal and I am sure Dave sells a basic Bulleid 'Kit' without printed sides etc. or at least parts to make one up.

Yes the D2406 was the 'Loose' style BCK and ideal for the ACE ; double Periscopes don't forget.

Do check the Stock for the three or four ACEs on Summer Saturdays though as several had trad Sets with the odd loose Coaches and not necessarily Brakes.

Phil

ATB Phil

Thanks Mallard60022 / Phil for your reply, really useful.

For the moment then I’ll just order the one set of Wizard Model sides for the Southern Pride kit I’ve had stashed away (at the time I’d bought the wrong kit).

Richard

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Phatbob said:

Yes, the diag. 2406 BCK is THE vehicle for your ACE branchline portion.  It is, IMHO, a real pity that Bachmann didn't decide to tool this version.  I certainly would have blagged a couple for Appledore.

Never say never... how do you / we  know that something has not been tooled, even if that something has not perhaps been announced initially?

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

We can but hope there may be more Bulleids to come!  Personally I would love a blood and custard Tavern Car; I built one quite recently from an old Southern Pride kit, but the stick-on printed vinyl sides proved almost impossible to deal with; the recommended adhesive either wouldn't spread easily or spread too easily and overlapped onto the windows; or one end of the sheet dried-up and went lumpy while I was still positioning the other.  The plastic bits were lovely and easy, but these problems turned it into something of a a nightmare and I'm not really happy with the result ...

Edited by Willie Whizz
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Willie Whizz said:

We can but hope there may be more Bulleids to come!  Personally I would love a blood and custard Tavern Car; I built one quite recently from an old Southern Pride kit, but the stick-on printed vinyl sides proved almost impossible to deal with; the recommended adhesive either wouldn't spread easily or spread too easily and overlapped onto the windows; or one end of the sheet dried-up and went lumpy while I was still positioning the other.  The plastic bits were lovely and easy, but these problems turned it into something of a a nightmare and I'm not really happy with the result ...

Might I suggest you use Comet Sides (OK you have to add some bits and paint the damn things before fitting) on the SP carcass? If you can't or won't (no offence meant) solder then adding the Droplights and Grabs/Commodes is possible with glue. Even Hinges can be fashioned from fine plassi strip.

I have used Comet Sides on SP full clear Plastic Sides for a couple of builds; just stuck them on with little amounts of Evostick, almost gone off before attaching, but you could cut your existing sides sides out and glaze the Comets and fit in the 'conventional' Brass sides on Plastic donor body way.

I found the same issue as you with the printed stick ons. If I were you I would get a load of SP bits to make basic carcasses before Dave packs up shop. It is a faff sorting the bits from the lists but you only need floor/ends (Bogies?), Roof and maybe some fittings, but you can get them from elsewhere.

Have a bash as it is only a few quid compared to the full Comet, need to solder most of it, kit.

PM me if you want more info about my hacks.

Soon as you have done one they will be announced by Baccy or Hornybee.

Phil

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Might I suggest you use Comet Sides (OK you have to add some bits and paint the damn things before fitting) on the SP carcass? If you can't or won't (no offence meant) solder then adding the Droplights and Grabs/Commodes is possible with glue. Even Hinges can be fashioned from fine plassi strip.

I have used Comet Sides on SP full clear Plastic Sides for a couple of builds; just stuck them on with little amounts of Evostick, almost gone off before attaching, but you could cut your existing sides sides out and glaze the Comets and fit in the 'conventional' Brass sides on Plastic donor body way.

I found the same issue as you with the printed stick ons. If I were you I would get a load of SP bits to make basic carcasses before Dave packs up shop. It is a faff sorting the bits from the lists but you only need floor/ends (Bogies?), Roof and maybe some fittings, but you can get them from elsewhere.

Have a bash as it is only a few quid compared to the full Comet, need to solder most of it, kit.

PM me if you want more info about my hacks.

Soon as you have done one they will be announced by Baccy or Hornybee.

Phil

Actually, adding to my own post, a mate says use old (Hornby?) MK 1 Carcasses for the builds, as they are the 'correct' lengths; even Mainline ones! OK, means a lot more UF work and some end fettling, but hey, cheap and cheerful if you don' look to closely.

P

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Phatbob said:

Yes, the diag. 2406 BCK is THE vehicle for your ACE branchline portion.  It is, IMHO, a real pity that Bachmann didn't decide to tool this version.  I certainly would have blagged a couple for Appledore.

Phatbob is correct Ref BCKs for Winter Weekday workings. E.G.1959/60 SX 11.00 Waterloo Departure was Loco:- SK/4 x BCK/2Set R/RKB+RCO (probably Maunsells)/3xBCK (1 detached at Salisbury & 2 at Sidmouth Junction) Diners off at Exeter and the rest for Ilfracombe SK & BCK, Torrington BCK, Padstow BCK and Bude BCK. 7 BCKs in this train but only 4 west of Exeter (that's enough!!!!!!).

A Summer example for the 11.00 off Waterloo was: Loco:- 3 Set L/BCK/TO/BCK/TO/Restaurant pair/CK. (2 x BCK)

Followed by 11.05 off W. Loco:- 5 Set/Rest pair/BCK/TO/BCK/CK/BCK. (3 x BCK). It is possible that the last three came off at Salisbury and the rest was non Stop then to Exeter, but I can't confirm this at the moment.

Weekday loads were light in Winter, so single BCKs as Phatbob said, to the branches. Saturday Loadings in Summer were huge, so the ACE ran in about 4 sections Down, with a lot more coaches for the destinations. 

Hope this is OK for you, however Rule 1 applies of course; it is your Train Set!

P

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

Never say never... how do you / we  know that something has not been tooled, even if that something has not perhaps been announced initially?

Oh Muz, please stop being such a tease. ;)
In answer to your question, I know that my local model shop hasn't asked me how many I'd like to order, so they are unaware of anything in the pipeline.  That dooesn't mean that I wouldn't be delighted if Bachmann were to suddenly annouce one in BR(S) green.  As Moses said to God, "I'll take ten". ;) :jester:
(Actually, just two to start with).

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Phatbob said:

Oh Muz, please stop being such a tease. ;)
In answer to your question, I know that my local model shop hasn't asked me how many I'd like to order, so they are unaware of anything in the pipeline.  That dooesn't mean that I wouldn't be delighted if Bachmann were to suddenly annouce one in BR(S) green.  As Moses said to God, "I'll take ten". ;) :jester:
(Actually, just two to start with).

Well that will make around 20 as I would want 10 as well. However, 10 X  £50; I shall have to go 'on the streets' to earn that or sell my Wife (and Car to make up £500 + postage).:swoon:

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Well that will make around 20 as I would want 10 as well. However, 10 X  £50; I shall have to go 'on the streets' to earn that or sell my Wife (and Car to make up £500 + postage).:swoon:

I might have a couple myself, and on a different note have you seen them new Hornby cafe cars yet Comrade Duckster?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Unfortunately, looking at recent blue box releases, £50 a go sounds well on the optimistic side to me.

I'm working on an assumption that the RRP of the Bulleids that have been announced will turn out to be half as much again. So probably around £65 discounted.

John

• Agree 3

I have two six coach rakes of the originals. One in Crimson and Cream and the other in Green.

I will just get the Southern ones in Malachite, just four coaches I think. I reckon that the RRP will be around £75 each.

All the best

Ray

Edited by wainwright1
Spelling
  • Friendly/supportive 1

27 minutes ago, wainwright1 said:

I will just get the Southern ones in Malachite, just four coaches I think.

Three in SR Malachite and one in BR ex-SR Malachite.

Liveries the models are in:

• SR Malachite Green (34-725, 34-725A & 34-750)
  • BR ex-SR Malachite Green (34-775)
  • BR Crimson & Cream (34-727, 34-727A, 34-751, 34-776 & 34-776A)
  • BR Green (34-726 & 34-800)
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So far just the BR green 2-set and a SK in crimson & cream for me.

The amount of work I've put into my old ones means I'll be holding on to them, at least until more are released in BR green....

Were the D.2406 BCK to emerge, I'm another multiple-buyer-in-waiting.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Colleagues and I of the 00 Wishlist Poll Team were very surprised that Bachmann didn't announce the DIag.2406 BCK in the initial run, but we can see why.

We subsequently made what we felt was a very strong case for them. We referenced the fact that Hornby took some flak for not initially announcing a Maunsell BCK (which they rectified a year or so later) and that the six Poll Team members who model SR would buy 26 examples between us - with two of us wanting eight each.

We guess that they would sell well.

Brian

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 31/10/2021 at 17:18, Dunsignalling said:

Unfortunately, looking at recent blue box releases, £50 a go sounds well on the optimistic side to me.

I'm working on an assumption that the RRP of the Bulleids that have been announced will turn out to be half as much again. So probably around £65 discounte
d.

John

Nooooooo!:scared:

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 01/11/2021 at 10:56, wainwright1 said:

I have two six coach rakes of the originals. One in Crimson and Cream and the other in Green.I will just get the Southern ones in Malachite, just four coaches I think. I reckon that the RRP will be around £75 each
.All the best

Ray

Naaaaarrrrgggghhhh!:wild:

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 31/10/2021 at 16:51, Tim Dubya said:

I might have a couple myself, and on a different note have you seen them new Hornby cafe cars yet Comrade Duckster?

Yey. I am so desperate I have pre ordered two Dining Opens. CBA to get another Kitchen 1st.

Can't take it with me dude.

P

• Agree 1