The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Snow with you?

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Fortunately I'm able to work from home today as this is the current state of play outside in Huddersfield.

post-414-0-37255100-1519809242.jpg

If you need to venture out today, in the words of Sgt. Phil Esterhaus*,  "Let's be careful out there". 

*  Younger readers might need to google this.

• Like 5

People talk of 1947 (I remember being carried between house walls and a giant snowdrift to my grans house), and 1963 (I worked throughout that on the buses), but no one seems to remember 1954-5. We had just moved to an out of town council estate between Oldham and Ashton-U-Lyne and it started snowing late afternoon. Dad worked in Denton but we didn't see him until 9pm....He had been forced to abandoned his car near Ashton and struggled home climbing drift after drift in appalling conditions. Two days later, the police contacted him to say his and all the other cars had been dug out and were awaiting collection at the side of the road.  A pal of his towed it home where we saw snow had completely filled the engine compartment of his pre-war Lanchester. Also that morning, mum saw a bus at the terminus a mile away and told us I could go to school! It took me ages to walk reach the terminus through thick snow and high drifts, but I eventually boarded a packed bus (a pre-war Leyland TD4 with Roe Body for the benefit of enthusiasts) and all one could hear was the side of the bus scraping along piles of snow that had been pushed back almost to the pavement.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 7

Beautiful clear blue sky in Donegal but the east coast has it bad, they are on a red weather warning for the next three days. Buses from here to Dublin cancelled and major disruptions to flights. Unfortunately I was supposed to be flying over to the UK for the Leamington and Warwick Show, so I will be giving that a miss. I'm sure the rest of the Sheep Pasture team will manage without me. Temperature down to -4 when I took the dog out this morning.

B cold in middle England, but the snow is very patchy, rather than widespread. Enough to cause trouble in some places, then none at all a mile down the road ...... the snow showers have ‘hard edges’.

Weirdly, no ice on anything, car, pavements etc, because the air has been ‘freeze dried’ over the past few days.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 5

Quite surreal out there at the moment, sun splitting the trees and snow belting down or rather snow blowing horizontal.

Madam away with niece to a hospital appointment in East Kilbride.

post-10324-0-04452400-1519811827_thumb.jpg

Snow stopped for now, and everyone off to work, shops all open, buses running.

Dave.  

Edited to add photo

Edited by davefrk
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

G'Day Folks

None here to, but I used to love the sound, when on the train, when it hit a small snow drift.................Whoof.......

manna

Not so much fun on an HST as the air temperature underneath is a lot lower than ambient so any loose snow turns to ice and drops off with a hefty clunk.  That was  the main reason in the past for restricting HST speeds in very snowy conditions.i

S Yorks from the office window (I work from home), 14:30 Wed 28/2.

Fluffy flakes going in all directions, mostly sideways. Postman arrived on time.

It's been alternating between snow showers, cloud and sun for most of the day, maybe an inch or two on the shed roof.

post-6971-0-08225300-1519828286.jpg

Edit: 1 hour later, and the sun's out, with the sky causing a blueish colour cast on the white roof nearest the camera:

post-6971-0-55343300-1519831270.jpg

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 5

Here in Bedford there was a dusting in the early morning and another two since.  The main roads are clear and the buses are no more unpunctual than usual.  My meeting in Milton Keynes tonight is off because most of the regulars and possibly the speaker are snowbound.  Postie has been delayed and as I type has only just delivered the mail.  It remains to be seen whether my bin will be emptied tomorrow but there is not much in it.  There is plenty of food in the house but I might just schlepp over to the supermarket in the morning if the buses have not been forced off the road.

I hope that road conditions will allow me to visit the Leamington show on Saturday and I am sorry that Killybegs will not be there.

Chris

Edited by chrisf
  • Like 1

Absolute deluge in Colchester with about four inches overnight. Chaos when I set out at 4:30 this morning as none of the roads had been gritted, including the dual carriageway. Got as far as Ipswich on the way to a job but turned back on the A14 due to tailbacks.

Edited by Baby Deltic

our current snow is about an inch, just walked my dog on the common and it looked like the arctic, wind swept snow on the ground and clouds curling in the air and then the next minute it stops and the sun comes out for a bit and its pleasent

i cant believe how soft people are these days i hear about how we used to get at least 2 foot every winter and for the whole winter but still go about your business as usual (not that i would know how it used to be though) now we get an inch and the country shuts down

Yep. All 2" of it.

Equates to - No bread. Gridlock. Panic buying. School closures.

Other countries that get it twice as bad equates to - No problems.

A friend from the Great Frozen North put me right on this many years ago, during his first visit to the UK which was in February. The Southern UK doesn't get snow other than in the most severe winters. What it typically gets when snow falls - and it is happening right now -  is almost permanent thaw, Had three half inch falls in the last six hours, and all of it almost all melted on the road surface, which is like a skid pan.This causes transport systems difficulties everywhere in the world. I have been in aircraft that finally stopped 'off the runway' on commercial flights landing in Germany, Switzerland, and upstate New York in these condtions. It's a problem wherever it occurs.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the input folks - makes for an interesting insight in to whats really going on!

So not much here in CHurchdown today until now - white out blizzard has now arrived!

Phil

Absolute deluge in Colchester with about four inches overnight. Chaos when I set out at 4:30 this morning as none of the roads had been gritted, including the dual carriageway. Got as far as Ipswich on the way to a job but turned back on the A14 due to tailbacks.

Not sure I'd call four inches a deluge tbh. Went Ipswich to Felixstowe and then to Bury St Edmunds at 5am with no problems at all.

Yes, it has struck me that it is ice, rather than snow, that is the real problem.

Anyone in the SE remember the winter 1978/79, "The Winter of Discontent"?

A combination of a fair bit of snow, 6" or more, topped-up every few days, which kept partially thawing during the daytimes, then freezing rock-hard at night, made that one of the most disrupted from a transport viewpoint.

It didn't help that there were strikes by train drivers (or was it guards) that stopped the service on odd days, and allowed the freeze/thaw to really take hold, but even without that it would have been bad.

• Like 2