The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Snow with you?

Phil Bullock

We've had loads come and go here. Almost always some flakes in the air, but a lot melts during the day to be replenished in almost white-out conditions.

I did manage to get the garden railway running at one point, despite a scale 15 feet of snow in places:

High winds and light snow now seem to mean only an inch or so ground cover, but drifts starting to appear in some locations. It is almost like white dust. Very cold.

Dear Bachmann service department 

Can you please repair these two locos they appear to have water damage !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm a bit surprised that Boris Johnston has not yet called in the Russian ambassador to formally rebuke Russia for the weather coming from there and to issue a stern warning as to possible repercussions and sanctions should they permit any more such weather to come our way.

DT

• RMweb Gold

We had a few Assistant Deputy Temporary Blizzards in South Devon yesterday, which left about an inch or so of snow on the ground, which the wind later in the day and overnight has whipped up into interesting drift formations. It is desperately cold out there as well, but that's about as much as the Beast from the East is going to do to us.

It's Emma that we've got coming that is going to bring a whole wadge of snow, seemingly starting later this morning and continuing into the night. We're about a mile (according to the Met Office web site) from the edge of the Red warning area, which seems to start near Buckfastleigh and go east and north thereof.

At the moment, it's just the snow equivilent of 'light drizzle', but more is to come.

No plans at the moment to go anywhere, stocked up at the supermarket a few days ago.

Dusting off plans to have a woodburner installed again as well.

And now we read of this bol*ocks in the news - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43229297

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Just announced on the radio that Paddington Station is closed because there is....wait for it..... Snow on the platforms ! I kid you not.

What's going on ?

Dunno but it does say on the National Rail website that Paddington station is closed.  That reminds me of New Year's Day 1979 - overnight temperature in Oxfordshire on New Year's Eve had dropped to -14C and there had been heavy snow all the way up the GWML into Paddington, between 4 and 6 inches of snow plus some drifting.  In these conditions the train service was, to put it politely, somewhat up b*ggered, but trains kept running albeit with a sort of emergency timetable as most of the point heaters in the entire area east of Acton weren't working.  The point heaters are all electric now and can be turned on at the touch of a switch in Didcot, back then they were gas and had to be lit individually (assuming they would work)

The current minor snow event would have been laughed at back then as a minor inconvenience and a possible excuse for a bit of late running,  Incidentally back in 1979 at the same time as Paddington was struggling the east end of the M4 was a sheet of compacted snow and ice the morning after New Year's Day although I didn't find it too worrying driving down it using a BR LWB Transit crew bus.

So short of a collapse of the roof I can't really see any reason to close Paddington in the sort of weather we're having at the moment. 

• Like 1

my morning dog walk

along a bit of the Barnsley cnal

39841507314_a081aaa658_h.jpg1-3-2018 (1) barnsley canal Agbrigg by Sam, on Flickr

Oakenshaw viaduct

26681167998_e2bbf1c6d3_h.jpg1-3-2018 (5) Oakenshaw viaduct by Sam, on Flickr

Oakenshaw Lane

25681561077_44806b8f71_h.jpg1-3-2018 (4) Oakenshaw Lane by Sam, on Flickr

up the lane looking back towards Walton

25681558497_84106e45a9_h.jpg1-3-2018 (6) Oakenshaw Lane by Sam, on Flickr

here you would normally be able to clearly see Wakefield city centre

39841503534_a1fe962361_h.jpg1-3-2018 (3) Oakenshaw lane by Sam, on Flickr

Oakenshaw South Junction

26681164738_7d274a4901_h.jpg1-3-2018 (7) Oakenshaw junction by Sam, on Flickr

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Just a smattering here in E. Devon so far, but the Met Office has just upped the warning from "nasty" to "very nasty" and, as they are only 15 miles away, I think I should believe them.....

The sky does look full of it so I think it's only a matter of time.

John

Thanks for the concern, guys, but it's actually been stopped for over an hour. The "fun" starts, allegedly, around 1500............ 

John

• Like 3

Just announced on the radio that Paddington Station is closed because there is....wait for it..... Snow on the platforms ! I kid you not.

What's going on ?

You cant be too carefull in this day, and age which is plagued with wimps/money-grabbers that want to sue over the slightest slip. :sungum: 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You cant be too carefull in this day, and age which is plagued with wimps/money-grabbers that want to sue over the slightest slip. :sungum:

Others are running in the snow though, caught the train in again this morning, starts at Buxton and it's usually pretty snowy up there (maybe three inches or so where I am, but the roads aren't great). Again some of them have been cancelled (lack of staff yesterday, they didn't say today) but there's clearly no plan to have a blanket cancellation; on that line at least Northern seem to be running what they practically can.

• RMweb Gold

Atrocious conditions in Huddersfield this morning.

Conditions on the north Trans-Pennine route appear to have deteriorated over the past couple of hours.

post-414-0-94716000-1519903688.jpeg

TransPennine Express 1F84 has been sat in Pl 1 for sometime, as has 1E66 in Pl 8.  1P22 has now been put into Pl 4, which is pretty unusual for a TransPennine Express service.

And with all available platforms now full, there's a queue of westbound TransPennine Express and Northern services occupying the signal blocks back towards Heaton Lodge Junction.  Rail staff no doubt doing their very best in very difficult circumstances and sympathy to the passengers.  

Our self employed Heaton (Newcastle) son has had a H&S assignment down at Didcot this week and his mother tried to persuade him to go by train to Kings+ then out from Paddington.

Son apparently told her "No the trains will all get cancelled for H&S reason. Better for us to share the drive (in his elderly C max Focus), we'll have a better chance of doing the gig"

Seems he judged the risks right.

Strange times we live in.

dh

Edited by runs as required

What's going on ?

On the british rail old school on facebook it says that Paddington is shut because they decided to clear the snow off the platforms using water, which because of the negative temperature it has now frozen.

If true, I have to say WTF?

• RMweb Premium

A little bit here, enough to make things rather slippery, which means I can't even make it up to the road from my house (a couple of people with 4WDs have though). Train to and from work was a bit unreliable with some cancelled and some late but they got me there and back.

Just to clarify the above - that's make it up to the road in the car, I can walk to the shops and the station fine.

• Like 1

Guest CLARENCE

A bit rough here, right on the Scottish border, near Berwick. Haven't been out since Monday, due to high winds and drifting snow; mind you, we are on the edge of the red zone!

Just a couple of pictures from our windows today;

Front

post-283-0-20014200-1519909378_thumb.jpg

and back

post-283-0-70310200-1519909421_thumb.jpg

I feel sorry for the dogs, they're only little and the snow, even in the garden, is just too deep!

Very, very cold, too.

Cheers,

Edited by CLARENCE

A bit rough here, right on the Scottish border, near Berwick. Haven't been out since Monday, due to high winds and drifting snow; mind you, we are on the edge of the red zone!

Just a couple of pictures from our windows;

Front

attachicon.gifTHREE.JPG

and back

attachicon.gifFOUR.JPG

I feel sorry for the dogs, they're only little and the snow, even in the garden, is just too deep!

Very, very cold, too.

Cheers, David

I have a dachshund, and unbelievably she loves the snow!

Jim

• Like 2

Guest CLARENCE

I have a dachshund, and unbelievably she loves the snow!

So does one of our papillons, and she's REALLY small---

post-283-0-60520500-1519910717_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Sky sports news reported earlier that the all-weather race meeting at Newcastle is cancelled due to the snow. Not quite ALL weather then, eh? :)

That happened (frost) on the all-weather track at Lingfield once.  I believe they've changed the composition since.

We have had about another centimetre of powdery snow today in Weston, the previous fall having mostly melted.

Without wishing to upset folk who are suffering genuine problems with the weather some of the reporting makes me smile.

I am reminded that every time Kate Adie appeared on TV she was generally wearing a flak jacket and surrounded by bombs and bullets,

whereas today we have Jon Kay on our screens whenever it is a bit windy, or about to get a bit chilly!

cheers

• Like 5